Game of Thrones - "The North Remembers" - OAD 4/1/12

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by photoshopgrl, Apr 1, 2012.

1. Apr 1, 2012 #1 of 211
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Sooo much good stuff! I swear the episode started and I looked at the clock and it was 9:48 just like that. I couldn't believe how fast this episode went. So many thoughts.

Yay for another slap to the little prick King! Can't wait for a gif of that too!

They are not playing around killing all the Baratheon bastards, are they?? Yikes!

Robb is bad ass. Not enough Snow. More thoughts later after I sleep. Can't wait to read everyone else's thoughts!

2. Apr 1, 2012 #2 of 211
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    So how does Renly find 100,000 men to rally to his cause when Robb can only get 20,000? his BF's money?

I really liked how many of the guards couldn't kill innocent children and how they showed them hating what is going on...a portent of things to come.

Littlefinger sure learned a valuable lesson ;)

3. Apr 1, 2012 #3 of 211
    chronatog7

chronatog7 Ill 'Gotten Gains!

Aug 26, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    Great episode. I love the sharp dialogue. I love the way the introduced Grey Wolf.

4. Apr 1, 2012 #4 of 211
    JFriday

JFriday "Just The Facts"

Mar 20, 2002
    Bay Area
    It flew by for me too. Loved it.!!

5. Apr 1, 2012 #5 of 211
    pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    It did fly by. I finished the 5th book yesterday and I've found I've lost track of what happened when. So even though I know what happens, I'm still surprised.

It was a great episode. They have done such a great job bringing it all to the screen.

tk

6. Apr 1, 2012 #6 of 211
    chronatog7

Aug 26, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    My only fear is, will they have enough time to condense the story of the second book into 10 hours?

7. Apr 1, 2012 #7 of 211
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Too short! WAY too short! I'm ready for the next episode already. It seemed like we just barely had time to even introduce the characters and it was over!

Definitely left me wanting more!

8. Apr 1, 2012 #8 of 211
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I kind of took it that Renly always had a 100,000 men but didn't need them until Ned told him about Joffrey's true father.

Kind of seems like the Lannisters and Joffrey cannot even come close to winning if the Starks and Bathereons team up. Only thing is will the Bathereons be OK with the Starks wanting their own kingdom or will they want them to "fall in line". I guess when I don't even know who the true heir to the throne is they can't really either.

In the title sequence they showed a new kingdom, dragon...something. Is that something new, the old Tarregeryn kingdom or the iron islands?

When the kings men catch up with the people heading to the wall will they realize Aryana is a girl?

(please forgive me of all the name misspellings)

9. Apr 1, 2012 #9 of 211
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    Dragonstone. It's where Stannis Baratheon lives.

Here's a Wiki entry edited to remove events that have not yet occurred on the TV show, though some of this history has not yet been revealed so I'll spoiler it anyway.:
    A century or so before the Doom of Valyria, House Targaryen, a noble Valyrian house, took possession of the island and built a castle upon it, which became the westernmost outpost of the Valyrian Freehold. The castle towers were shaped by Valyrian magic to look like dragons, giving it the name Dragonstone. Roughly a century after the Doom, Aegon I conquered six of the seven kingdoms of Westeros. He established the city of King's Landing where he first made landfall at the mouth of the Blackwater Rush. King's Landing became the capital and Dragonstone became the seat of the heir apparent, who was styled Prince of Dragonstone.

During Robert's Rebellion, the castle became the last haven of the remaining Targaryens. Rhaella and Viserys were evacuated there before King's Landing fell to the rebels. Rhaella gave birth to Daenerys during a terrific storm and died shortly afterwards. As rebel forces prepared to lay siege to Dragonstone, the last scions of House Targaryen fled the castle for Braavos with the help of Ser Willem Darry.

After the war, the castle passed to Stannis Baratheon. Stannis resented the castle because its lands were far poorer than those of Storm's End, which he felt was his due as heir of House Baratheon. He considered the castle to be a insult, but Robert felt a strong leader should be placed in the old Targaryen seat.

Short version: The Targaryens owned it, Robert took it away from them during the rebellion and placed his brother there to hold it. Daenerys was born there as the Targaryens were fleeing.

10. Apr 2, 2012 #10 of 211
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Looks like Jaime's gonna need a change of underwear... :D
    And not only owned it...it was the first land in Westeros they held, and it was the foothold from which they conquered the Seven Kingdoms. It has enormous symbolic value.

By the way, is it me or did they reveal that summer is over much later in the books?

11. Apr 2, 2012 #11 of 211
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm glad they decided to CGI the Direwolves. Last year, the tiny little dogs were just out of place and silly.

12. Apr 2, 2012 #12 of 211
    cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago
    In the Prologue of A Clash of Kings, a white raven has arrived at Dragonstone from the Citadel

13. Apr 2, 2012 #13 of 211
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    The producers have mentioned that the series won't follow the books anymore in "one season per book" fashion, starting with this season.

14. Apr 2, 2012 #14 of 211
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Thought it was a an excellent setup for an awesome season. I'll have to rewatch it later this week.

15. Apr 2, 2012 #15 of 211
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Loved it! I can feel the wheels starting to turn already... can't wait.

I thought they needed to do more to introduce the Onion Knight. I think people are going to be a bit lost later on with him ("wait, who's that guy?"). We'll see, maybe they'll do it in future episodes.

It has to be just so hard to figure out how to get these books to fit. Even to be limited to telling the story in one-hour chunks seems like it would be hard, much less only 10 of them... it seems like you'd want to have 90 min or even 2 hours to be able to not feel rushed.

16. Apr 2, 2012 #16 of 211
    chronatog7

Aug 26, 2004
    Miami, Florida
    I have to say they had some great scenes on this episode. The best ones include Stannis redaction of the letter while the table of westeros is on the scene, the kid cleaning the floor while littlerfinger craps his pants while Cercei says "power is power" and finally the disgust of the city watch solder when they are killing the babies.

17. Apr 2, 2012 #17 of 211
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    HBO has a new season 2 viewers guide available
    http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season2/

Did I miss mention of it last season, or is this the first time we learn that there out outposts north of the wall?

Robb mentioned something about needing ships to reach Kings Landing. Why? We see it can be reached by land. Is it just quicker/safer to go by ship?

18. Apr 2, 2012 #18 of 211
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Yes! I forgot to mention that. He's so smug all the time. I do love the character and pretty much hate Cersei but he kind of deserved that. If I were her, I might have done the same.

They got me, I honestly thought for a second they were going to kill him. I was thinking to myself how stupid that was and they would never get Sansa back now. I'm telling you, after Ned's beheading I will probably fall for all their cop outs like this.

People were doing that the first half of season 1. Why should this one be any different? ;)

Yeah that was bad. Them walking holding that baby upside down was just gross.

I am so ready for the next one already. So mad how fast the hour went. Today on the way to work I was just replaying it all in my head and I can't wait to get home and watch it again!

19. Apr 2, 2012 #19 of 211
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Looking at the HBO viewer guide I just posted, where they show the territories of the 4 kings, you can see that Renly's kingdon is a large and well populated area of land. Lots of cities on the map. While the north is bigger, it doesn't seem to have as much in it. I don't know if that's the reason, but it would make sense to me. Sort of like a US vs Canada thing...Canada has about a third more land area than the US, but only about 10-15% as large of a population.

20. Apr 2, 2012 #20 of 211
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The problem is, it also shows that she just doesn't have a clue how to run a country. Alienating the guy who pays the bills in a nearly-bankrupt kingdom is just about the stupidest thing you could do (behind not slapping Joffrey much more often).

It will be interesting to see how Tyrion responds to the nearly-impossible challenge of keeping the Lannisters in line and on top.

(Watching last night, I couldn't help but wonder if Peter Dinklage, when he decided he wanted to go into acting as a career, even dared fantasize that some day he'd have a role like this?)