Game of Thrones "The Lion and the Rose" 4/13/14 S4E2

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Apr 13, 2014.

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1 of 380
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    YES!

Joy and happiness. Best wedding EVER. :D

Mellisandre's curse is going strong. Robb, now Joffrey. Greyjoy is next.

I don't get how Tyrion can be accused of this murder. He didn't want to be the cup bearer. It's a big stretch to blame this on him.

Who is next in line? Joffrey's little brother?

2. Apr 13, 2014 #2 of 380
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I got the episode title wrong. It should be "The Lion and the Rose". I've asked the moderators to help change it. Sorry about that!

3. Apr 13, 2014 #3 of 380
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Great episode. Was there a single conversation that didn't have a dozen political implications or undertones? I love Lady Olenna more every time she opens her mouth.

BTW, I think the episode was called "The Lion and The Rose".

ETA: Or what Anubys said while I was typing...

4. Apr 13, 2014 #4 of 380
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Yeah, Tommen. I think that was him sitting at the next table. Blonde, teen, innocent looking. I think the last time we even saw him he was a kid.

5. Apr 13, 2014 #5 of 380
    stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    I'm a little disappointed that we never saw a real Tywin-Joffrey showdown.

6. Apr 13, 2014 #6 of 380
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Words of advice: If your aspiration is to be king, don't marry Margaery. Because that never ends well. :D

It looked like for a moment Joffrey might be a little redeemed, when he got the book from Tyrion. Well, not REdeemed, since he was a useless waste of oxygen since birth. But it looked like he might be a little deemed, with his relatively gracious acceptance of a gift that he clearly disdained.

But then he undeemed himself with the sword.

7. Apr 13, 2014 #7 of 380
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    And, according to Tyrion, Tommen and Myrcella are fine children, unlike their insane older brother.

8. Apr 13, 2014 #8 of 380
    jollygrunt777

jollygrunt777 Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Republic of...
    I wanted still more by the time the credits came on. That 60 minutes just flew by.

9. Apr 13, 2014 #9 of 380
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    That made me so very happy! :up:

10. Apr 14, 2014 #10 of 380
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    It was only about 53 minutes long I think. I was bummed we didn't get our last 7 minutes! Still they pushed things along pretty well on a number of fronts. We book readers have been waiting for this one :). Still so much more to happen this season... yikes!

11. Apr 14, 2014 #11 of 380
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'm sure Cersei would say it was a crime of opportunity. Tyrion must have had the poison on him and when Joffrey kept goading him and the opportunity presented itself, Tyrion took the opportunity.

Of course, anyone smarter than Cersei would realize that Tyrion is much too clever to commit murder in such a way that he is so obviously the prime suspect.

12. Apr 14, 2014 #12 of 380
    tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    OK, now it is time for an episode of CSI:Westeros

We all know Tyrion is too smart to have done it.
    I don't think the Tyrells would do it (although Joffrey's glass was on their table when it got poisoned -- assuming the poison was in the wine) at least not before Margery was pregnant.
    Prince Oberon of Dorne is a thought, if you assume Joffrey wasn't the target.
    Brianne, as payback for killing Catelyn?

One more thing, after Joffrery hacked the pie there was a cut of a dead bird, presumably one killed by Joffrey's sword when "opening" the pie, what if it was just an accident (or divine retribution from the Red God)

Oh yeah and "Ding Dong the ******'s dead"!!

13. Apr 14, 2014 #13 of 380
    squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Maybe it was the fat jester? He didn't seem that shocked and seemed to have an exit plan.

14. Apr 14, 2014 #14 of 380
    getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    Long Live the King ... D'Oh!

15. Apr 14, 2014 #15 of 380
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah, there had to be reason why the camera paused on the dead dove, but it looked chopped, not poisoned.

The word is that the clues to whodunit were there.

Sansa picked up the cup from under the table! But neither of them could have planned it because they didn't know that Jeffy was going to make Tyrion handle the cup.

Pycelle is the poison Maester and Cercie dissed him.

Where was Tywin through all of this?

I liked the effect of Jeffy's face getting all veiny. And he sang the end credits?

16. Apr 14, 2014 #16 of 380
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wow, had no idea Joffrey was going to be dying so soon. As much as I hated him, that caught me so much by surprise that it wasn't even satisfying.

17. Apr 14, 2014 #17 of 380
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I think the rule of thumb in Westeros should be to not get married in general. Which wedding have we seen that has ended well? :D

I think Cersei is the only one who truly cares about finding Joffrey's murderer. Everyone else has go through the painful motions of pretending to want "justice for the king". :D

I guess Tyrion cares insofar as he is a suspect, but hopefully you are right that others will realize that there's no way he would have been so stupid as to kill Joffrey in such an obvious manner.

I doubt Margaery would have been a part of it, but I do wonder about her grandmother. She came to some arrangement with Tywin that resulted in him pushing Cersei to marry Loras. What if part of the arrangement was to work together to take out Joffrey?

What if the grandmother actually cared more about Margaery than power? (I know, I know. Such people are rare in Westeros. :D) Or at least, was willing to sacrifice Margaery's position as Queen for the position that Loras would have with Cersei. With Joffrey dead, his younger brother is now king. But who is once again Queen Regent? I'm assuming Cersei...who is now promised to be wed to Loras.

(Oh wow, I just had a strange thought. Cersei ordered Maester Pycelle to feed the leftovers to the dogs. My thought when seeing that scene was that she was merely making a power play to let Margaery know who was really in charge. But what if she knew she wasn't going to lose her Queen Regent status? Could Cersei hate Tyrion so much that she would sacrifice Joffrey to frame him for murder? Or perhaps she merely loves power that much, and figured Joffrey was a lost cause with Margaery. Given her comments about her love for her children, I'm not so sure. But what if she took Tyrion's comment to heart that she got 2 out of 3 right?)

Tywin would, of course, be glad not to have a Tyrell as Queen, plus the added benefit of not having to clean up Joffrey's messes.

I also wonder if any of those awkward looks from people while Joffrey was tormenting Tyrion were not because of what Joffrey was doing, but because they knew what was going to happen, and did not intend for Tyrion to be implicated. If it was someone who considered him an ally, that person might be in the awkward position of having to redirect suspicion from Tyrion without implicating him or herself.

It will be interesting to see how many people use Joffrey's death as a excuse for their own personal gain under the guise of caring about who killed him. I suspect this investigation will set the record for most number of people who care about it for reasons other than actually finding real answers.

18. Apr 14, 2014 #18 of 380
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    GRRM gets to write one episode per season, and this was his offering for S4. Surprised there wasn't any nudity.

Based on the way the camera lingered on the dead bird in the "pie," I have to believe it was the pie that was poisoned and not the wine. But did anyone else take a bite of the pie?

19. Apr 14, 2014 #19 of 380
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Yeah, I was hoping Arya would get the pleasure. She better hurry up, and get her mad assassin skillz before anyone else from her list goes. The rest of them aren't what one would consider to be spring chickens.

20. Apr 14, 2014 #20 of 380
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    His name is Loras.