Game of Thrones "The Kingsroad" 4/24/11 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by billypritchard, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Apr 25, 2011 #1 of 128
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    2nd Episode!

Lots of good stuff here, but hard not to feel like it was a 'moving the pieces' episode, with various groups of people moving to new locations. The King and Ned on the road to King's Landing. Jon and Tyrion on the road to the Wall. Dany and Viserys on the road to Vaes Dothrak (shown in the credits).

2. Apr 25, 2011 #2 of 128
    billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I think anything that didn't happen in this episode or the previous one should be spoiler tagged. If it was in the book, spoiler tag. If it was background/history, spoiler tag.

3. Apr 25, 2011 #3 of 128
    Incognito

Incognito Undercover Papa

May 5, 2004
    Buffalo
    1) Saw what a whiny-brat Joffery is.
    2) We met Jofferys dog, Sandor "The Hound" Clegane
    3) Saw how much Catelyn hates Jon Snow
    4) Jon and Tyrion are at the Wall
    5) Arya got her sword "Needle"
    6) Catelyn has the dagger
    7) Bran is awake

& more

I wish they would make reference to Eddards sword "Ice" as it matters some to the continuing story. Especially when he had to kill the Nightswatch traitor in Ep 1 & kill the dire-wolf pup "Lady" in Ep 2. (In the book he called for "Ice" to be brought to him.)

All in all great episode ... loving it.

4. Apr 25, 2011 #4 of 128
    billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    I wonder if they thought that killing a dog with a giant sword would just be too much for animal lovers. I've already read comments from people today of the 'kill that butcher's boy, but when they killed the wolf, I am done with this show now!'

5. Apr 25, 2011 #5 of 128
    sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Geeze. I eat meat. Killing animals feeds me. I don't enjoy cruelty but I am not squeamish.

6. Apr 25, 2011 #6 of 128
    Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    The only questions I have would be answered in spoiler tags so I'm simply going to wait and watch.

Killing the dire wolf served the story and took place off screen. I suspect that its death will be relevant to future events. No wolves, dogs, puppies, etc. were actually killed IRL.

7. Apr 25, 2011 #7 of 128
    aRKade

aRKade New Member

May 22, 2002
    Farmington, MN
    It appeared to me that Eddard used a knife to kill Lady. They also missed an opportunity to mention Ice when Arya picked the name "Needle" for her sword.

8. Apr 25, 2011 #8 of 128
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Even knowing it was coming, Lady's death is still heartbreaking. Also, watching Nymeria being shooed away. Overall, the changes made from the book, I didn't mind. It's a testament to the child actors, cause I already want to beat the living crap of Joef, and throttle Sansa for taking Joef's side.

They are really trying to soften up Cat. I think there is a lot of fandumb that absolutely hate her and this scene with Jon is the biggest cited reason. They changed her line she says to him from the book, which to me was as memorable as "The things I do for love." And, to me, it's obvious that it is all in attempt to make her more likable. I've never had a problem with her, so I think the hate is unjustified (everyone in this book is a shade of grey, they can be good in one way and not good in others, it adds layers, and these books do a very good job of showing that.)

I line change by the way for those that are interested is (spoiler tagged for safety) is:
    "It should have been you."

Took me a minute to be ok with CSI: Winterfell (I kept pictured Cat putting on sunglasses and saying, "Looks like fall came before winter." YEAAAAAAAAAAAH) But once again, they have to shorthand inner dialogue so by the end I was ok with it.

And there were great scenes lifted from the books, Jon and Arya with Needle in particular was well played by both of the actors. Although again, he had a funny line after giving Needle to Arya in the book that I wish he would have said.
    "Whatever you do, don't tell Sansa."

9. Apr 25, 2011 #9 of 128
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Pushing Bran out the window was the moment in the book when I was like, "Ok, I'm in." Cause I love stories where things matter. Lady's death crushed me more than Bran getting pushed out of the window. That said, if people can't handle the endings to these two episodes they better just bow out, cause this world is not sunshine and lollipops.

10. Apr 25, 2011 #10 of 128
    Incognito

May 5, 2004
    Buffalo
    I told my wife what she really said ... I wish they would of kept that in.

11. Apr 25, 2011 #11 of 128
    Sirius Black

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    I'm not sure I understand how the original line makes sense within the context of the scene. Can it be explained without spoilers?

12. Apr 25, 2011 #12 of 128
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Another solid episode. This + Treme is the best stuff on television right now by far. Though I knew that Peter Dinklage was going to be an excellent choice based on his prior work, I am still very impressed with him. So far his delivery has been outclassing the other actors on this show - though perhaps because there is more meat in his lines. Sean Bean has also been great - I particularly have enjoyed watching him when he's not saying much.

13. Apr 25, 2011 #13 of 128
    allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I winced at Lady's death, but I agree, that is a very hard world. I can see why it's on HBO; I don't think it could make it on network TV. Too much edginess.

14. Apr 25, 2011 #14 of 128
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Yes, but I'll put it in a spoiler tag anyways, I don't think line changes from book to show are needed, but I don't want to step on anyone's toes. (but it's not a spoiler, as you've already seen the scene.)

In the book she almost softens for a moment to Jon as Jon is saying goodbye to Bran. (After initially not even wanting Jon to come into the room.) As he walks out she says, "Jon, wait. It should have been you." Basically, Jon should be in the coma and not her own child.

15. Apr 25, 2011 #15 of 128
    GAM

GAM Niiiice!

Oct 13, 2003
    Did Ned come back to look for his daughter? Where is Ned's wife while this is happening? Wasn't she going to look for him to tell him about the Lannisters?

16. Apr 25, 2011 #16 of 128
    Sirius Black

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Oh, I thought you were talking about a completely different scene from the end of episode 1. "Things I do for love." then he pushes Bran out the window makes much more sense than what is said in the spoiler tag.

17. Apr 25, 2011 #17 of 128
    Incognito

May 5, 2004
    Buffalo
    I may have to rewatch the scene but I believe she hinted at it after Jon left the room when talking to Ned.

She resents Jon Snow for what he represents. That Eddard had a child with another woman and kept him as his own (thats not normally done). Not sure if Ned and Cat were married prior to him going to war.

18. Apr 25, 2011 #18 of 128
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Ahh, ya I just meant the line "The things I do for love." and the line Cat says mentioned from the book were equally memorable to me, and changing it sucked.

19. Apr 25, 2011 #19 of 128
    Sirius Black

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    Ned and his daughter(s) are either already at King's Landing or going there. I couldn't tell. Bran and his mother are at Winterfell(?). I believe they mentioned in the first episode that it takes a month of riding to make the journey from Winterfell to King's Landing.

20. Apr 25, 2011 #20 of 128
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Ned + daughters are traveling on the Kingsroad to King's Landing, the capital. They've been traveling for a month at this point. Cat is back in Winterfell.

They marry, he goes to war several weeks later (Robb is consummated), he comes back from war with Jon in tow.