1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Game Of Thrones S7E1 - Dragonstone - Spoilers allowed.

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by TonyTheTiger, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jul 16, 2017 #1 of 239
    TonyTheTiger

TonyTheTiger Pro Troll Magnet

Dec 22, 2006
    ...and we're off to a good start.

Took me a second to realize that we started the way we did and it wasn't a flashback!

I assume we ALL spotted Ed Sheeran?

2. Jul 16, 2017 #2 of 239
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Who is Ed Sheeran?

So many great moments!

Euron lost some weight and got a new haircut to better impress the queen :D

More greatness from Lady Mormont.

Clegane's redemption arc is near completion.

More flirting with Brienne :D

Euron recommending brother-killing as a great activity.

Shall we Begin?

3. Jul 16, 2017 #3 of 239
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    ok...Looked up who Sheeran is...I loved that song...I hope he records it with no background music just like in the show...

4. Jul 16, 2017 #4 of 239
    gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Had no idea that was Ed Shereen. Not that he looked different, but I too did not really know what he looks like.

Great start and disappointed! Disappointed I cannot binge!! :D

Man! Dragonstone looked amazing! Looked so freaking real! Or is it?!

Loved Arya's revenge. And poor Sam. WTF. Why is he a bed nurse? Glad I had already had my dinner before that scene!

uncdrew likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2017 #5 of 239
    Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    The opening scene had me confused, then, after the reveal, had me hooked. Does anyone know the history of Dragonstone? And is that where Jamie predicted they would land?

6. Jul 16, 2017 #6 of 239
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    Wonder how long until Jon gets word that Bran is at the wall?

Betwen Frey not letting the girl drink (using the phrase "no you") and then recounting killing women.....I literally cheered out loud.

Balish....eew!

Love the Wildling guy still making eyes at Brienne. And she tries to deny she's interested, but she is! Love this prospective couple.

The Greyjoy guy....the words "trailer park" kept coming to mind. He better up his game if he wants to be taken seriously.

Ed Sheeran! I was SO happy for him as I know he's a huge fan. I know he was geeking out over the opportunity.

Poor Sam!! Poor, poor Sam!

Clegane is one you start hating, but can't help but like. I think he's deep down a good guy. Will be interested to see what role he winds up playing in the upcoming Winter.

Dani is at Dragonstone! I'm settling in and cant wait to see what the rest of the season brings.

uncdrew likes this.
  7. Jul 16, 2017 #7 of 239
    Philosofy

Philosofy Super Duper Member

Feb 21, 2000
    Valparaiso,...
    Also: the shots of the dragons flying over Dragonstone: those things are HUGE!

8. tivotvaddict

tivotvaddict CreativelyChallenged

Aug 11, 2005
    In front of...
    Never in my life have I looked forward to winter like I am now.

Arya slays. Sheer satisfaction watching her dish out that revenge. However ..... she did the exact same thing she lectured the Freys about: left one of them alive (the young Frey wife/daughter). Can't help but predict that will come back to haunt her.

I adore Ed Sheeran, but goodness that took me out of the GOT world. An anachronistic element that historically hasn't been part of this series in the past. Hopefully that isn't the start of a trend, so I won't dwell on it. :) Was he part of a group of Lannister men?

Is Jorah being held prisoner?

Must go read some recaps.

tta

9. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Glad to have the show back but I found the episode a little dull. Nothing of great significance happened and there was way too much tell and not enough show.

Ed was fun but I enjoyed seeing the kid from This is England.

10. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's where the Targaryens first landed when they came to Westeros, and the place from which they conquered the Seven Kingdoms. And yes, it's the place Jamie thought Daenerys would land.

11. getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Yes, it is where Jaime predicted Dany and her fleet would land.

Dragonstone was where the first Targaryens built their stronghold upon arriving in Westeros many centuries ago (they're originally from Valyria, which had been mysteriously destroyed). Dragonstone is on a small island relatively close to King's Landing.

After the seven kingdoms were united under a Targaryen king, they built King's Landing as the new capital and Dragonstone became the home of the king's heir.

During Robert's Rebellion, the Mad King sent his pregnant wife and their young son (Viserys) to Dragonstone for safekeeping. During a violent storm, the Queen gave birth to Daenerys (which is why one of her titles is Stormborn). The Queen died during childbirth (this is something that links Dany with Tyrion and Jon, as all three of their mothers died bringing them into the world).

After Robert's forces took King's Landing, he sent his brother Stannis to Dragonstone to retrieve the Queen and the two children. The children were safely smuggled to Essos before Stannis arrived. As punishment for his failure, Robert made Stannis the Lord of Dragonstone (rather than their own family's home of Storm's End, which Robert gave to Renly).

Stannis continued to serve King Robert from Dragonstone until Robert's death. He then "ruled" from there during his time as self-proclaimed King (it's his banner that Dany pulls down when she enters the castle). Stannis abandoned Dragonstone when he went North with his forces and it has apparently been sitting empty ever since.

This episode marked both the return of Dany to the place of her birth and the return of the Targaryens to Dragonstone.

12. Robin

Robin Nasty Woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    I thought she let all the women live because she doesn't consider them guilty.

frombhto323 and dianebrat like this.
  13. gossamer88

gossamer88 HDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Great info...thanks!

14. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    Great summary. I remembered part of that. My wife actually asked me during the show if Daenerys had ever been to Dragonstone. My immediate answer was no. But, then I thought I remembered that she may have been born there. Guess I was right.

15. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    How many great insults did Clegane have in this episode? The one about the priest being bald and the bun isn't fooling anyone was priceless (kind of my feelings about comb-overs!).

I don't think Arya leaving the women is a problem. The Frey line is done. There are no more Frey men. Maybe some Frey child will grow up and get revenge but that is doubtful as they will all be dead by the time the long winter is over.

tim1724 and uncdrew like this.
  16. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Oh, and now Jon has a reason to go to Dragonstone as he needs to make weapons to kill Whitewalkers.

I can't wait to see how Drogon will greet Jon. I think the 3 dragon riders will be Dany, Tyrion, and Jon.

17. TriBruin

TriBruin Active Member TCF Club

Dec 10, 2003
    Bartlett, IL
    I think that is very typical of a E1 season. This episode was all about putting the chess pieces in the place for the season (and likely the next two seasons) as we are coming up on the final battle(s). For the most part, everyone in now in their place (Jon & Sansa in Winterfell, Cersei & Jamie in King's Landing, and Dany & Tyrion in Dragonstone.)

Some comments about last night:

I was confused for a couple of minutes at the beginning (another cold opening!). But I quickly realized it had to be Arya.

Who was right and wrong between Jon & Sansa? Should Jon forgive the Karstarks and Umbers? Glad to see Sansa has developed a pair. I think she is a dangerous woman now. (She has had a closeup relationship with three strategic masterminds: Cersei, Balish, and Ramsey)

Poor Sam, what a demeaning job he has. (BTW, the way that scene played out was unique in GoT. I have never seen such quick cuts. Bravo to the director.)

Poor Cersei. She is delusional if she thinks she can raise an army that can defeat Dany (I think she would have problems with Jon's as well.) What families are going to swear allegiance to a queen that killed off her previous banner men?

I was thinking about this before last night's episode, but what families are going to be left in Westeros? The Baratheons & Martells have been completely wiped out. The Lannisters and Tyrells have lost all heirs and will likely die off after this generations. Only the Starks and Targaryens have any heir producing family left.

The biggest question I have now is what is the time line going to be? There are two MAJOR battles that need to be fought: The battle of the seven kingdoms (Cersei vs. Jon vs. Dany) and the battle against the white walkers. I think most people assume that the assume the eventual ruler of the seven kingdoms would then have to defeat the white walkers. But, IMHO, I would prefer to see the opposite. The ultimate battle is for the Iron Throne.

tim1724 likes this.
  18. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I don't think you can wipe out a family if the direct descendents are dead. All it means is a cousin or the next closest relative will take over. Usually, there is a fight for legitimacy but that is but a minor detail. This is why Arya invited every Frey man to her party.

I was expecting something to happen to the wall when Bran crossed over. But if something happened, I didn't see it. I expected some subtle change to indicate that the magic is disturbed or something.

I thought it was a nice touch to show the Lannister army as nice/normal human beings (something we've never seen before). Until now, they were all whoring, thieving, murdering, and raping. I think it's a portent of the final alliance of all Westeros once (here comes a prediction!) Jaime kills Cersei and joins Dany and Jon at the end of this season.

tim1724 likes this.
  19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't think either is wrong. It's just two different ways to look at the situatrion. I guess I prefer Jon's, because he's looking forward and she's looking back.
    I have thought for years that it will all come down to Dany and Jon vs. the great evil from the North. I still am leaning that way. I also don't think Tyrion will be as central as the others, although he'll almost certainly be there. But in the very end, I can see Dany and Jon dying in their final victory, and Tyrion being the last one standing. Not that I'm predicting it, but this is the kind of show that would do that! :D
    I think those were all his direct descendants. Remember, he's very very old and has married many many times.

If a cousin who is not a Lannister takes over the Lannister lands, he's not a Lannister; he's the beginning of a new dynasty.

20. ct1

ct1 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jun 27, 2003
    Maryland
    One makes more enemies for you and one makes more allies. I think at this time they need more allies than they need more enemies.