Game of Thrones S5E04 "Sons of the Harpy" 05/03/2015

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LordKronos, May 3, 2015.

1. May 3, 2015 #1 of 142
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    I thought the season has been building to something decent, but this wasn't decent...it was F'ing amazing. We're on the verge of 4 wars

Stannis vs the Bolton's (prelude to Stannis vs Kings Landing)
    King Tommen vs The Sparrows
    Daenerys vs The Sons of the Harpy
    Jamie vs Ellaria (potentially a prelude to Lannisters vs Martels)

Nice to see that even now in season 5 we're still continuing to get some more backstory...specifically Lyanna and Rhaegar (love that look on Littlefingers face, like..."yeah....'kidnapped'(wink wink)". Then we also had a tiny glimpse more backstory with Stannis making a comment about Jon's mother not being a whore.

So I'm a little unsure. Greyworm and Barristan Selmy took some pretty good hits there. Has either of them survived? It looked like Greyworm's was a knife to the chest. He may be a goner. Selmy looked like he took a sword to the calf, but I think it appeared Greyworm saved him before the throat was slit, so I think he may live. Though if he's dead, I think that certainly sets the stage for Jorah to return to Dany's side (hate to see Selmy go, though...I really like him)

Loved Jamie suddenly discovering (on accident) he can use his iron hand as an asset. That, and that "that one should be slow enough for you" comment.

I'm sure there's a ton more to say. That episode was like information overload. I can't even remember everything that went on.

2. May 3, 2015 #2 of 142
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I think Selmy is a goner. That exchange he had with Dany was too foretelling.

The introduction of the Sand Snakes bothered me a little. Seemed forced.

And I loved the new Staniss with his Princess. I was hoping he hold her back.

Speaking of Stannis...his witch really (almost) got Jon to forget his vows!

3. May 3, 2015 #3 of 142
    brianp6621

brianp6621 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Nov 22, 1999
    San Jose, CA

Grey worm took a dagger in the ribs under the arm and Selmy took one to the chest. I think grey mike make it but Selmy is a goner.

4. May 3, 2015 #4 of 142
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    Somehow I didn't absorb most of that convesation the first time. I just rewatched that one part. I'm not sure I saw it the same way as you. Though I guess I missed that as another bit of backstory in this episode. And it sort of follows up the conversation of Rhaegar supposedly kidnapping Lyanna with the idea that Rhaegar was actually a very kind, generous person...probably not the sort that might be up for a kidnapping.

5. May 3, 2015 #5 of 142
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    Oh crap. I guess I saw that, but I was so on the edge of my seat for the nearly(?)-slit throat that it didn't sink in. Though that sort of takes all the drama away from Greyworm saving him just before his throat is slit. Oh yeah....he didn't die that way....but I he still died. Kind of odd.

6. May 4, 2015 #6 of 142
    stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    I'm guessing that the Red Witch was trying to use Jon to create another shadow monster to kill the Boltons like the Stannis shadow monster killed Remly.

7. May 4, 2015 #7 of 142
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    I thought that at first, but then it occurred to me that I think the whole thing before was that she had to use the bloodline of a king for the magic (which is why she went after Gendry).

8. May 4, 2015 #8 of 142
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    My only complaint is that the Unsullied, for being such feared fighters, really sucked. Instead of fighting like an organized military unit, they fought like street fighters, and they got beaten by a force not even twice their size.

Barristan Selmy, an old man, unarmored, gave a better showing than all but Grey Worm.

For all we hear about how awesome the Unsullied are as fighters, they were just bad in this. No use of the Phalanx manuever (which they've shown previously), no working in teams, no taking advantage of the narrow space to control the battle. There were enough of them in there that they could have formed a line and blocked the width of the alley. But no, they break formation and fight like street urchins. Pathetic.

The myth of the mighty Unsullied took quite a hit here.

9. May 4, 2015 #9 of 142
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Had she used Ygritte's line sooner, she would have succeeded. But she knew that. Now Jon is intrigued and she'll have him soon enough.

I don't think there's any strategic purpose to her visit to Jon. I just think she was horny.

Totally agree. When I saw it was 8-10 Unsullied against 20-25 Sons of the Harpy, I thought the Unsullied would quickly take them out.

10. May 4, 2015 #10 of 142
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Once Tyrion figured out that his captor was Jorah, who used to be an informant for Varys, why didn't Tyrion tell Jorah that he was traveling with Varys and that the three of them would all be better off approaching Dany together?

11. May 4, 2015 #11 of 142
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I doubt that. I think everything she does has a purpose. Probably she was trying to get Jon to break his vows and then get him to give up the Black and go with Stannis to Winterfell.

Also, it is not certain that Jon has no king's blood. They even hinted in this episode that his parentage may be other than what it has been formerly assumed to be.

12. May 4, 2015 #12 of 142
    john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Huh? Daenerys exiled Mormont for spying on her, and you suggest he approach her with his former spymaster and say can't we all be friends?

Or did you mean that Tyrion could betray Varys to Mormont and Daenerys so that Daenerys can have her revenge on Varys?

13. May 4, 2015 #13 of 142
    DevdogAZ

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Varys is already on his way to offer his services and his loyalty to Daenyerys because Varys has secretly been supporting her all along, but it may take a bit of convincing to get Dany to see that. Tyrion just pointed out to Jorah why Dany may not welcome him back with open arms. Basically, none of the three of them would be immediately welcomed by Dany, but I think their chances would improve if they all showed up together with a unified story.

14. May 4, 2015 #14 of 142
    john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    Master of understatement.

It would take a lot more than "a bit" of convincing to get Mormont to take his former spymaster to see Daenerys. Tyrion was smart not to mention it.

15. May 4, 2015 #15 of 142
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    It appeared to me like they gave chase into an ambush and were taken by surprise. That's a powerful advantage to the Sons of the Harpy.

Daeny may also not be enforcing the sort of discipline that the unsullied's former slavers did. Maybe their skills have begun to atrophy.

16. May 4, 2015 #16 of 142
    MonsterJoe

MonsterJoe Travels for Food

Feb 19, 2003
    Central MA
    Dany's gonna be pissssssssed

17. May 4, 2015 #17 of 142
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    What I meant was that they had a conversation that shows how close they've become. So as to make his death a bigger impact on her.

If anything that spooked him.

18. May 4, 2015 #18 of 142
    stark

stark Member

Dec 31, 2003
    Eden...
    The "bloodline of a king" magic that she used Gendry for was the spell to kill Rob, Joffrey and Walder Frey. The shadow creature was created by her having sex with Stannis.

You could argue that it only worked because Stannis has the bloodline of a king, but they never specifically said that.

19. May 4, 2015 #19 of 142
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I think she absolutely was trying to create another baby shadow, she even said so ("hinted so" would be more accurate). Now I'm more convinced than ever that Jon is Raegar and Lyanna's son. Especially with the new hint from Stannis.

20. May 4, 2015 #20 of 142
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Tywin was right on the money when he told Cersei that she is not nearly as smart as she thinks she is. In fact, she is as dumb as a pile of rocks if she thinks she can control the High Sparrow and his army. I give it a couple of months and she and Tommen will be in a cell right next to Loras.

Question: So Papa Tyrell is going to meet an unfortunate "accident" on his way to Braavos (at the hands of Slynt). That much is certain. With Loras in prison, who is next in line for house Tyrell?