Game of Thrones S3E5 04/28/2013 'Kissed By Fire'

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Congratulations to Jon Snow! ;)

The scene with Jaime and Brienne was fantastic. His recount of why he killed the king was riveting. Not to mention how Bolton tricked him for as long as he could about Cersei!

Tywin continues his quest for father of the year. Loved how quickly he erased that smirk off Cersei's face!

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Cersei may have screwed her brother, but Catelyn surely did screw her son!

3. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Things just keep getting worse for Robb.

Jaime becomes even more sympathetic.

And John, well he showed Ygritte that he did in fact know something. :D

I loved Cersei's face when told she was to marry Loras. She obviously thought she was free from marriage for the rest of her life but then to be told she is to be wed to the underage homosexual Knight of Flowers and breed his children. Ouch!

Oh forgot one. Could someone say Lord Beric Dondarrion was only mostly dead? ;)

4. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Apparently, it's not that he knew something. It's that he was pretty quick to figure it out. :D

5. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    From her reaction (and what we know about life in that place), you can also add that this is something you don't expect men to do. So the surprise of it was part of the...well...surprise!

The Lord of Light is turning out to be pretty powerful indeed. Given that he lives in fire and Dany's dragons breath the stuff, it should be a very interesting clash when it does happen.

Robb should have beheaded his mother, eh? I hope he stays around long enough for Arya to reach him. They made it sound like some negotiation about her ransom was made; but then they never showed a scene where Robb and Cat were happy or waiting for her.

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    They know he is in Riverrun and were leaving to go there next day. They would give Arya to Robb in return for a "donation". We will see if she ever makes it that far, with this show there is always something that can happen to get them on a side quest.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Basically, yes. That's what I meant when I said she screwed him...by letting Jaime go, she put him in the position of either executing Mom, or allowing a precedent for treason going unpunished. Regardless of the terrible decisions he's made since then (especially, marrying whatshername), that's the one thing that he couldn't really come back from...unless he executed her. Which, of course, he was never going to do. So then he was in the position of either executing Karstark (and losing half his army), or further weakening his authority (and possibly losing his ENTIRE army). And now he has to go to the petty little man that he screwed over by marrying whatshername, and beg him for help.

Thus, screwed.

(It amusing me that "whatshername" is in the BB spell-check!)

8. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I need to watch the show again tonight. How did Tywin learn of the Sansa/Loras plans?

And did I mention how much I loved it when the tables turned on Cersei? she was having such a great time with Tyrion's misery!

9. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Tywin found out from Cersei. Cersei found out from Littlefinger, who found out from the guy who gave Loras the little finger.

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Dagnabbit! Now I like Jaimie Lannister although I find it hard to believe that he kept his reason for killing the Mad King a secret for so long. Are they going to make me like Joffrey next by explaining that he's such a sh1t because Cercei wouldn't let him have Count Chocula every morning for breakfast?

It looked like Dany was going to cry when Rat Dick (or whatever his name was) explained why he preferred his slave name.

Robb should have forced his mom to marry Karstark. Just kidding.

So who did Jaimie and Brienne get turned over to? I swear, every week there's another group of scraggly, dirty white guys wearing black on this show.

11. cherry ghost

cherry ghost Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Chicago

Roose Bolton at Harrenhal

12. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    His name was "Grey Worm". Not that I would be surprised if one of them was named Rat Dick.

I thought the guy Jamie was turned over to was called "Lord Bolton" at some point.

I made the same comment to my wife as the poster above: "I guess Jon Snow did know SOMETHING".

13. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    They called him Lord Bolton. I think he's the one who offered to have his bastard go get Winterfell back from Theon. Speaking of which, thank goodness we didn't have to see any of him this week.

14. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Robb attacking Castle Rock seems as desperate as Leon attacking Winterfell. What is to be gained? It's not like the Lannisters would give up the war in order to get their house back.

15. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh well. Where to start. (I say that every week don't I?)

Okay now I'm really mad about Tyrion. Why won't someone just stab Tywin in the face already!? Hard to believe after last season there would be someone I wanted dead quicker than Joffrey. So Tyrion is just going to be force to marry a CHILD? I mean she just started to you know...... ugh. How old is Tyrion supposed to be?? That's just gross. No. And now I see why we had the scene with Shae and him discussing Sansa's looks. I see the writing on the wall with that one. UGH. Do not want.

Although I did very much love watching Cercei be so smug and condescending to Tyrion only to get slapped with the same. I don't see why they don't both just tell him to get bent. What would happen? I mean he's one person. Just give the old man a beat down and be done with it. heh

Jon Snow. Well. That cave must have been a dramatic difference in temperature. And if that's true, why wasn't more of them in there keeping warm?

This was badass
    [​IMG]
    And I loved The Hound's face right after. I think he even took a step back like "oh crap". Poor Arya back to naming off the ones she wants dead. And asking about bringing her father back was just sad.

And I'm not sure how much bare arse we saw but it was more than a couple right? Ygritte, Brienne, Jon, Jaime, Loras, his squire..... is that it? :D
    On a mighty superficial note, I have to say I quite enjoyed both Jaime and the squire shots. :)

And wow was the story about the mad King Jaime told true!?! If so then he's gotten this horrible reputation for nothing. He's a hero not a traitor. Well he WAS until he shoved a child to his supposed death and other things we saw after. But yeah back then... Also I continue to feel for him.

I did not at all get wtf was going on with Stanis and his wife? and child? What's wrong with her face? I feel like I should know this but I'm drawing a blank. And his wife is uh... off. That entire thing creeped me out. I did think it was sweet his daughter went to see Davos to give him books.

The only thing I have to say about Dany this week is Jorah. Sigh.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Sigh. I guess we have to talk about Robb now. He's losing it. Fast. So because he didn't kill him mother for treason he pretty much HAD to make an example out of Karstark right? I mean even though Cat and Talisa gave logical reasons for to not do so I knew he would. If not he's a joke of a King. And he's too much like Ned. Unfortunately now he's got to go to Frey and that's making me SUPER nervous. "hey Walder, sorry about going back on my word of marrying your daughter but can ya help a guy out anyhow?" I mean what does he have to offer now? He's going to lose this war. There's no way around it. Ugh.

16. jehma

jehma Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2003
    NJ
    They haven't mentioned it before, I don't think. I'll put the explanation in spoiler tags since it hasn't been mentioned before although it isn't a big deal.

It's called greyscale. From one of the wikis:
    Greyscale is a disease that can leave flesh stiff and dead and the skin cracked and flaking, mottled black and grey and stone-like to the touch. The tongue and lips turn to stone.[1] It generally affects children especially in cold damp climates. The victims are disfigured but could not be touched by the rarer mortal form of the affliction or the grey plague. The wildlings consider people who survive Greyscale unclean.

17. Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    I wondered if that's where they keep all of their gold.

18. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I too am becoming more sympathetic for Jaime. However, as someone pointed out in a previous episode thread, he is the guy who started a continent-spanning civil war by pushing a kid out a window...

I expected more from Tyrion's meeting with the Tyrell matriarch. He seemed outwitted by her. Tyrion isn't yet living up to my expectations as master of coin. (yet)

I wish Littlefinger would just get on that boat be gone already.

I expect that by the time Arya reaches Riverrun, that Robb will already be at either the Frey or on march to Casaterly Rock. It just feels like she's not fated to meet back up with him and will continue these side quests with interesting people (last season a faceless man, this season a man who can't die).

Attacking Casterly Rock isn't a brilliant move, but it's really the only move Robb has left. Maybe he can get lucky and something will turn to his favor.

I miss the Theon story. I still want to figure out what's going on this. I also miss his sister, who I figured would have a bigger role this season.

19. photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I think he was surprised as well!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

20. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    And he compounds his mother's poor decisions with his own even worser decisions. Marrying that girl doomed his revolt, as (I think) Karstark said a couple eps ago. And then executing Karstark seemed even dumberer. Why not hold him hostage? Any downside to it? At least the Karstark army would remain with him.

I think the Brotherhood just assumes there will be a reward for returning the sister of the King of the North.

Well, if we're going to be superficial, I quite enjoyed both Ygritte and Brienne.:D

BTW, do we think that was really Gwendoline Christie? The... ahem, rear view we were given seemed nicer than the lumpiness that Brienne always projects on-screen.