Game of Thrones S3E2 04/07/2013 'Dark Wings, Dark Words'

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Anubys, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Apr 8, 2013 #1 of 96
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I can't believe how good this show is. It is simply the best hour of TV ever made. Yes, I said it!

But, wait a minute...wasn't Winterfell surrounded and under siege? Theon was going crazy because of the guy playing the horn 24/7. So now they were able to burn it down and flee BEFORE the guy's bastard got there?

I don't get it. I don't get it at all.

I thought the person torturing Theon was his father, actually. Still think there is a chance of that!

2. Apr 8, 2013 #2 of 96
    Jstkiddn

Jstkiddn Shutity up up up

Oct 15, 2003
    I've also been very confused about exactly what took place at Winterfell after Theon's men whacked him over the head. Who burned Winterfell? Surely the bastard that was coming to save Winterfell from Theon would not have destroyed it, but you are right that it was under seige by said bastard at the time the head whacking took place.

Interesting theory. Might explain how the sister knew where to find him.

3. Apr 8, 2013 #3 of 96
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    AH! Beaten to the punch this morning. I'm working on my post but got distracted by actual work. (How dare they!) Good thing I refreshed or we'd have 2 threads. :)

4. Apr 8, 2013 #4 of 96
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I know...I feel like I stole something...but I needed to get the Winterfell question off my chest and you were tardy!

Margery really used the info she got from Sansa to good use. She played Joffrey like a violin!

"maybe HE is the reason people are starving" :D :up:

5. Apr 8, 2013 #5 of 96
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    I have read the books. With that being said, to clarify what has happened in the show, Theon and his 20 or so men had Winterfell and were surrounded by Roose Bolton's son, known as the bastard on the show, and under siege. Theon decided to fight, but Theon's own men knocked him out and left the fort. It could have been assumed they handed Theon over to secure their safe passage away from Winterfell, but nothing is ever shown what happened after Theon got knocked out. Other than his #2 commenting on what a great speech Theon gave.

Start this season, and the first news we get about Winterfell comes from Roose Bolton delivering a message to Rob. The message is that the bastard got Winterfell but the Ironborn had killed everyone and put the castle to the torch. Remember that when we last saw Theon all of Winterfell's inhabitant's were alive at the time he was knocked out.

Then we see Theon held by an unknown person at an unknown location. We don't know how this person acquired Theon or what his intentions are.

Hope that clears it up for the show watchers.

Loved that scene. How do you win a psychopath's heart. Tell him you want to kill something for him. Ahhh, young love!

6. Apr 8, 2013 #6 of 96
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I understand what you are saying. The only logical explanation is that the Bastard burned Winterfell, gave the men safe passage in exchange for Theon, and is now torturing Theon.

But it still makes no sense. If the Bastard's father is a traitor, there are a heck of a lot better ways to betray Robb than by burning down Winterfell. He is part of the inner circle, after all. But I guess there could be other reasons.

I'm not asking to explain, since you know more than what has been shown. It just seems different from what we've seen so far; where motivations and actions (for the most part) are foretold using some sort of character development or something. This would just come out of left field; from a character who has been nothing more than a glorified extra so far.

7. Apr 8, 2013 #7 of 96
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    To clarify, I am not trying to insinuate anything like the bolded, I was just trying to recap what the show has shown us. At this point, from what the show has shown us, it seems to me that the Ironborn gave Theon over to the bastard. This however does not jive with the message from Roose Bolton that the Ironborn were already gone and had burned Winterfell to the ground and killed its inhabitants. Theon could be being held by a party other than the bastard (such as his own father) but based on what we last saw it seems more likely he is held by the bastard. We don't know that, though. We also do not know why.

In other words, we know nothing more than Theon. :D

8. Apr 8, 2013 #8 of 96
    Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    Well, that makes it clear as mud. ;) Thanks Shaunnick. At least I now know I haven't missed something I was supposed to have picked up on.

9. Apr 8, 2013 #9 of 96
    Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    I *loved* this part!!!

10. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Okay where to begin with this one. I'm going to have a couple of questions for anyone who's read the books that wants to chat with me via PM. Things I want spoiled on but that aren't a big deal. I've already been spoiled on FAR more than I wanted just by being on Tumblr and seeing quotes and graphics that I know we haven't seen yet. Oh well. What can you do!

First I am really confused about Theon. Where is he? Is his father holding him? I assume this to be the case because they did not seem to like his answer for why he took Winterfell and he knew it and immediately tried to change his answer. Too late on that, I'm afraid. So his sister, Yara, is going to help him? WHY? I don't trust her. I don't trust this person that's going to release him. And I continue to feel bad for Theon. He just cannot win.

That entire scene with Sansa had me on the edge of my seat. I don't know if she should have told them what she really thought of Joffrey. I mean, it's not like either of them couldn't and shouldn't have already known what Sansa said about Ned. But I saw Margaery's face when she said that Joffrey made her look at her father's head. That girl is one smart cookie. That entire thing with "I imagine it must be so exciting to squeeze your finger here and watch something die over there." was very smart, calculated and Joffrey's dumb ass played right into it. She knows now what type of person she's dealing with and she's feeding him exactly what she needs to.

Catelyn. Wow. Was not expecting to feel sympathy for her. "Everything that's happened since then, all the horror that's come to my family is all because I couldn't love a motherless child." I haven't liked her pretty much since day one with how she treated Jon. I actually have to remind myself that she's pretty much the reason he's where he is right now. If he had been named Stark and not treated like a disease his entire life, he wouldn't have joined the Night's Watch.

The entire part with Jaime and Brienne was awesome. They are hilarious. When she was trying to decide which route to take and he says "It's wonderful to watch you wrestle with these dilemmas" I was laughing. And we knew eventually that Jaime would outsmart her. And you could just see the "told ya so" on his face and hers when that old guy fingered him to the others. I don't know how they get out of this but I have a strange feeling that they are about to become a team.

I also really like Gendry calling Arya out on the 3 names business. Why DIDN'T she just choose 3 names that would end the war?? And why would the hound give Arya away so quickly. Didn't he just put her in danger? Was his soft spot only for Sansa but not extending to her sister as well? I really didn't understand that much. Also I'll be seriously disappointed if Jaqen doesn't show back up... and that's with the same actor. He was killing it in that role, I don't want another now, faceless man or not!

I always feel like I'm forgetting something. Oh yes, had to look up his name, Lord Karstark saying "you lost the war the day you married her" to Robb was probably 100% accurate. Does Robb even realize what he's done? I really like him and I get it but it could have waited until after the war. Men and their thinking with the wrong head.
    OH speaking of.. Tyrion. He's so weak when it comes to Shae. I hope this doesn't lead to trouble for him or her or both. I know we see so many characters so our scenes with each have a reason behind them. That scene seemed on the surface to be just her telling him about Sansa/Baelish but I think it was more about her sneaking into his room after Tywin just warned him. Ugh. Do not want. Tyrion has suffered enough.

11. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    This really bothered me as well. She outright *told* him she didn't need to be married to him.

12. photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Right? It was almost like he wanted to purposefully piss off the Frey guy. Word is bound to spread. Sleeping with a nurse could have been kept quiet. Make her queen, not so much. This cannot end well.

13. danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    This is SUCH A GOOD SHOW.

So, maybe I'm the only one amused by this, but:

The young actor who played Jojen looked so familiar to me, but I couldn't quite place him. (I later realized he reminded me of a younger Evan Peters, from American Horror Story). So I looked him up on IMDB -- he's the voice of Ferb, from Phineas and Ferb. :)

14. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    No way!!! Now I'm going to have to go back and rewatch his parts and see if I can pick up any Ferbishness. :D

edit to add: You are not the only one amused. My daughter was a huge Phineus and Ferb fan when she was younger so I've watched many, many hours of the show. Thanks for posting that tidbit!

15. tater2

tater2 Tarheel Tivo

Jun 6, 2001
    Youngsville,...
    Was it just me or did I get a gay vibe from Joffery? I thought he was asking to many questions about Renly and how he didn't want anything with flowers. Could have just me but I was not sure

16. Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Just you! Or at least, I did not get that.

17. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I didn't pick up on that. He seemed to be quizzing his-queen-to-be on the nature of her relationship with someone he considered to be a traitor. My vibe was that he was looking for some justification to torture/hurt her. Instead, she used the knowledge gained from Sensa to appeal to his psychotic personality. Joffrey would be wise to watch his back around her. Fortunately, Joffrey isn't wise. I hope she turns out to be his undoing.

On the other hand, remember what he did with women that were sent to his room by Tyrion last season? Though I'm betting this stemmed more from him being a sadist/psychopath than from him being interested in men.

Can someone answer a quick question for me.... I thought recalled at the end of last season The Hound offering to take Sansa away from Winterfell and she accepting. Yet we find Sansa relying on littlefinger for safe passage (that can't end well) and the hound off on his own. Did I miss something?

18. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Either gay or Extreme homophobia (which can sometimes be a cover for gay feelings). Goeff wants to be a "Manly Man" sooo badly.

Also the playwright Chekhov said "if there is a gun on the wall in the first act, it had better be fired by the 3rd act" -- Chekhov's Crossbow anyone?

19. Jstkiddn

Oct 15, 2003
    I don't get the gay vibe. I get the bat sh*t crazy vibe.

Anyone else note that the actor playing Bran seemed to mature over the break? He seems older.

20. MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    The Hound's offer was "Go with me now. You'll not get a second invite." She blew him off. We can guess she halfway didn't trust him to stay chivalrous.

The "Little Bird" would have much better off with the Hound than Littlefinger, who has repeatedly betrayed the Starks.