Game of Thrones - S07E03 - The Queen's Justice

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by LordKronos, Jul 30, 2017.

1. Jul 30, 2017 #1 of 224
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Amazing that Cersei has already got revenge for both of her kids murders in one episode. Obviously we were all expecting the Ellaria bit...though I was certain that with the repeated framing of The Mountain in multiple scenes that it was going to end with a skull crushing of the daughter (I was also wondering if he was going to rape her before murdering her, just to twist the knife in her heart a bit). I didn't see the kiss coming at all, and even when she started, it took me a second to figure it out. Brilliant on her part for figuring that out and sending it right back at them.

Note that with the next scene going immediately to her kissing Jamie, I was like "uhhhhh, I hope you cleaned up really good". Even though we saw her wipe off her lips and then drink the antidote (which probably got on her lips) I was wondering if her "punishment" was going to be killing him by accident (then she's got noone to anchor her anymore). And with Qyburn's setup of how it could take days for death, I was wondering if Jamie still might die. But now that he's apparently gone all the way Highgarden (and possibly even Casterly Rock first), I think it's a pretty good bet he's in the clear.

But then to also get Olenna in the same episode...incredible. When I saw the wine goblets on the table, I knew what was going to happen, but I was wondering how Cersei had figured out it was her (last we saw 2 episodes ago she was still blaming Tyrion). But then the amazing turnabout was that it was just coincidence, and they DIDN'T know Olenna had Joffrey killed. Amazing. Sorry to see Olenna go...she was a magnificent character. I like how even in death she gets that last laugh in on Cersei, who is now going to be furious but unable to give her a fitting punishment anymore.

And then on the opposite end, the all-powerful Dany (who it looked like was going to just storm in and clean house across Westeros) suffers another crushing defeat. Another big chunk of her fleet destroyed (does Cersei need Euron anymore?). I really fear for her dragons now. She's going to get desperate and use them (despire everyone advising her not to), and I'm afraid she's going to lose at least one of them.

Glad to see Jorah cured, though I'm not sure I was as confident as Sam about the "not contageous" part. And Sam's punishment I figure will lead to him finding something of vital importance in one of those decaying scrolls.

Glad to see Sansa isn't immediately tanking everything in Jon's absense, though I wonder how well the "oh, we don't have enough grain? I know, everyone should send us all their grain and we'll 'promose' to give it back if they need it" bit will go over on everyone else.

tim1724 likes this.
  2. Jul 31, 2017 #2 of 224
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    Oh, and by the way...does anyone recognize the ship Jon sailed in on? Didn't look familiar to me...are we then to assume he just hired some random sailors to sail him there and back?

upload_2017-7-31_0-15-13.png

And then a bit later we see this ship in harbor:

upload_2017-7-31_0-15-36.png

I can't quite make out the sigil, but I'm assuming it's survivors of Yara's crew coming to report back on the attack (I actually thought that was Jon's ship my first watch through)

3. Jul 31, 2017 #3 of 224
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Question: One moment Jaime & Company march up to HighGarden. Olenna is watching them from her HighWindow. The next they're inside the walls, stacking dead Tyrellians.

Did I miss how they got inside?

4. Jul 31, 2017 #4 of 224
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Not really. They skipped the battle because the Tyrel army was basically crushed and it wasn't relevant to the scene.

5. Jul 31, 2017 #5 of 224
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead." ;)

It was nice seeing the dance between Daenerys and Jon ("You brought fire and ice together" indeed!). And with Bran on the scene ("I have to talk to him" indeed!), the relationship between D & J is bound to take an interesting turn sooner than later.

The time compression continues. Months probably passed during this episode, with all the movement from one end of the continent to another...

6. Jul 31, 2017 #6 of 224
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    Were they crushed, or was the defense minimal because the majority of their army had already march to kings landing per their plan with dany?

7. Jul 31, 2017 #7 of 224
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I guess I was wrong about Bron saving the cute Sand snake :(

I understand that the Tyrells are out of the picture with a sound defeat. But why is Dorne out of the picture with the death of their leader? isn't there someone in charge who would still continue the fight?

I see Tarley was on hand to inspect his new digs!

I absolutely LOVED Olenna's comment about Jaime being a very wise man :up:

8. Jul 31, 2017 #8 of 224
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect if there had been any legitimate contender, Snake Mama would have already killed him. Otherwise, she wouldn't have been able to take over herself.

9. Jul 31, 2017 #9 of 224
    Mike2001

Mike2001 Creator of TiVo Man

Apr 2, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I'm glad Jon didn't bend the knee to that *****. Why is she so hell bent on a symbolic gesture or protocol, when her Navy is being destroyed and her Army is being outflanked?

10. Jul 31, 2017 #10 of 224
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I get that...but she must have left someone in charge...and that someone would presumably be loyal to her...

Sorry for posting things as I remember them:

1. Bran's demeanor seems strange. I understand you're the three-eyed raven and the responsibility it comes with. But why can't he be happy to see his sister? Also, why is him showing up a surprise? wouldn't the first thing Edd would've done is send a raven to Jon saying "I have your brother, sending him to you"?

2. Nice touch of showing the Lannisters gather up gold after taking over the castle.

3. Euron can't be that stupid, can he? I doubt that he believes Cersei. So my guess is that now he will show up to Dany and offer his services. Dany now needs him.

uncdrew likes this.
  11. Jul 31, 2017 #11 of 224
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Up until then, she had a ton of allies and a fool-proof plan to crush everyone. She didn't need Jon or the North.

I addition, why not try to bluff your way into complete surrender first? then if he calls her bluff; she at least got the measure of him. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

12. Jul 31, 2017 #12 of 224
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Because she didn't know?

After she found out about the navy, she gave Jon what he wanted. She still doesn't know about the army. I'd say she's being remarkably adaptive, considering where she's coming from.

By the way, Jon's not very clever so it doesn't really surprise me that he didn't think of it, but what he should have said when she accused him of breaking faith with her family is that her family broke faith with his when they burned the lord and his heir alive.

A propos of nothing, for probably the first time in GoT history I thought "You go, girl!" to Cersei when she slapped the kiss-o-death on Baby Snake to torture Mama Snake. I guess I can cheer for even a monster when the monster is torturing another monster, as long as I'm convinced Monster #1 will still get hers. Which I am.

Jstkiddn, getbak and stellie93 like this.
  13. Jul 31, 2017 #13 of 224
    tlc

tlc Active Member

May 29, 2002
    As good as the Sand Snakes were at dealing death, I expected more stoicism with respect to their own. Blubbering?!

I was hoping for Bron too, though.

14. Jul 31, 2017 #14 of 224
    Cainebj

Cainebj Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2006
    New York
    My problem with Game of Thrones is I have no idea who I rooting for!!!

Another episode with magnificent performances. Lena Headey and Diana Rigg. OMG.

I also loved the scene between Littlefinger and Sansa. I have to go back and re-watch that to get a better grasp on his advice to plan for every outcome.

15. Jul 31, 2017 #15 of 224
    mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    I suppose I liked the Casterly Rock scenes. But Tyrion being out maneuvered again! So where does Dany stand with respect to taking the Iron Throne now? It was hey, you have overwhelming force, but don't want to kill innocents. Now she's lost most of her naval power and the unsullied are stuck (and will soon be starving).

Silly to ask a Maester how long the longest winter was. That sort of thing would be etched in the culture.

uncdrew likes this.
  16. Jul 31, 2017 #16 of 224
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Great advice and now they have Bran who see everything.

I'm not liking the Euron character. Not just because he's an a-hole but because he seems like a wild card that's suddenly been thrown into a carefully crafted narrative that's almost over. Maybe he's had a more prominent story line in the books but to me, in the tv show, he and his magic navy seem like a last minute plot device to move things along in a hurry.

As big a monster that Cercei is, I was on her side when it came to her punishment for Ellaria. I'm just sad it was the prettiest Sand Snake that's going to kick the bucket.

17. Jul 31, 2017 #17 of 224
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    I missed that. I'll have to take another look at it, but I really was wondering how it was she intended to repay Braavos within 2 weeks, so that answers that.

But that would fall under the category of 1 bad leader breaking faith....just like the Umbers and Karstarks. So I don't think it's an argument he could honorably fall back on.

I'm almost hoping for Littlefinger to actually end up being "king of the ashes"...maybe with Varys as hand of the king :)

18. Jul 31, 2017 #18 of 224
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    But I think his story is pretty consistent and I think foreshadows what will happen again. Years ago they attacked the Lannisters and destroyed the Lannister fleet. But then the thing is....being a Navy is the only thing the Ironborn are really good at, and once the Lannisters actually got to them the Ironborn got their ass kicked, and Euron went into exile. Now he's back, and he's royally kicking ass on the high seas because, for the moment he doesn't have to worry about getting invaded. But now he's got little left to offer anymore, and once Dany is through being preoccupied by the Lannisters, the Ironborn are going to royally get their ass kicked again.

19. Jul 31, 2017 #19 of 224
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I'm curious on the conversation with Dany and Jon, she says she lost her two brothers and then pointed out that Jon also lost two brothers but at this point, neither she nor Jon have any idea that Bran is alive so wouldn't she says three brothers? Robb, Rickon and Bran?

getbak likes this.
  20. Jul 31, 2017 #20 of 224
    mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Wow, does Dany need some military intelligence. With the bulk of the Lannister army on the march, taking Westeros will never be easier. Plus, she's now had 2 Navies wiped out by surprise. No more "little birds". It seems like Tyrion and Varys are doing a really lousy job of military planning.

And I agree with cheesesteak that the smirking Euron character is jarringly bad.