Game of Thrones S03E01 - 03/31/13

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Ereth, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Mar 31, 2013 #1 of 134
    Ereth

Ereth Unemployed Bum

Jun 16, 2000
    Jacksonville...
    No thread yet?

I REALLY loved that the opening credits shows Winterfell burning. That was truly awesome.

Dani is really coming into her own.

As for the rest.. fastest hour on TV. If we can't get more episodes can we at least get 2 hour episodes? I'm ready for the next episode already!

2. Apr 1, 2013 #2 of 134
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Agreed, show goes by way to fast!

Great start to the season.

3. Apr 1, 2013 #3 of 134
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    I realize they've got a ton of characters and different things going on, but I'm surprised we didn't see at least a quick scene of Jamie and Brienne.

4. Apr 1, 2013 #4 of 134
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Or Arya or the 2 boys with Hodor (Hodor!).

I think LittleFinger is going to substitute Sansa for Kat. He needs to start working on getting a wife and heir now.

5. Apr 1, 2013 #5 of 134
    photoshopgrl

photoshopgrl Nerd Fashionista TCF Club

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    I was going to post one last night but was too tired so instead of giving a half ass post just to be the thread starter I figured I'd wait until I got to work and give more detailed thoughts. (which are coming in another post) :D

AND YES! Winterfell burning in the opening was amazing. Most definitely the fastest hour on TV. Even faster for me than SPN because there are no commercials to interrupt me so it seems like it just came on when the credits roll!

6. Apr 1, 2013 #6 of 134
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    A good episode although I felt it was a setup for each character. Like, "here is Sansa and here is what she will be doing this season". When they only have 10 episodes "filler" like this feels like a waste. Dany was the only one I felt like they really moved along in this episode.

Oh and Margery is Princess Di :D

7. Apr 1, 2013 #7 of 134
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Where to even start on this episode. So much happened!!
    First SO glad it's back!!! The only other show I watch live besides SPN. Thank god it's a 9pm and not 10pm show.

I guess I'll start with the fact that I want someone to stab Tywin Lannister in the face so bad. Probably more than I want Joffrey to die. And that's reeeeeeeeal bad. I just want to curl around Tyrion and hiss at anyone that attempts to be mean to him. UGH. His life is so terrible. The people that should love him treat him like a disease. That scene with Tywin was painful to watch. I wanted to reach through the screen at him.

The beginning with Sam and the creepy undead guy. (not sure if you'd call that an actual white walker?) That was a nice way to start it off. YOU HAD ONE JOB SAMWELL! Oops no ravens sent! "We have to warn them, or before winter's done, everyone you've ever known will be dead." I was excited to see Ghost save him until the others caught up. BUT not happy that Ghost and Jon are still separated!

I was a little lost on the time in this episode. Like how long has it been since the finale? The opening scene with Sam indicated to me that it was right after the ending scene of season 2 and the white walkers have attacked and left most dead behind. Sam managed to escape and ran, and here we are. Yet then we move to Tyrion and from his face it seems at least weeks maybe months since the battle. Someone help me out here.

And then to Jon Snow! GIANTS? I wasn't told there would be giants! Apparently neither was he! Heee. And I got frustrated with Jon last season because I felt he was a bit dense in his decision making but he's either really on board with joining them or that was the most convincing, conniving I've seen him! And let's face it, what he said probably had as much truth as anything even if he IS bluffing his way in. "I want to fight for the side that fights for the living." was just wow. And I just love love love Ygritte. Snarky and cute and her and Jon are so going to get it on.

I'm still side eying Margaery but she really seems sincere in her wanting to help the orphaned kids. Joffrey watching her cracked me up. Yes we realize acts of kindness confuse you, little king. I liked her again during dinner. She was getting right under Cercei's skin wasn't she?

Davos is alive! And Stannis still sucks! I really thought for a second they were going to have Davos say Joffrey when asked which king. But I should have known he's got far too much pride and honor to do such a thing. Good for him. Ton of good that does him when Stannis just tosses him in a cell. And his son is dead. Did Stannis even ask? I thought these two were besties? I assume it's because Melisandre has been filling his head with lies. I'm sure she's scolded him over and over about his loss because he listened to Davos. Ugh.

It's sad when so much happens in 60 minutes that I have to sit here and go "what am I forgetting? OH YEAH DRAGONS!!!!!!!!!" I'm sorry but I continue to love Jorah. Even if Danny never loves him back he'll protect her the best he can. The look he was giving Barristan was hilarious. Speaking of, I knew there was a reason we were reminded of him in the beginning. And the warlocks? They were trying to kill her because of what happened at Qarth or just because they are dicks? That scorpion thing was all kinds of creepy. It looked like a person's face was on it. Yeah pass on seeing that again!

And Robb and Winterfell. Wow. See again, how long has it been?? I thought last we saw was Theon and his men surrounded by enough that they felt they could not win. Then they knock Theon out and say "let's go home". So who exactly slaughterd all those people? Was that before that scene with Theon? Sorry I like to think I keep up pretty good with things but the timeline in this episode just screwed with me. And sorry but I am Team Robb when it comes to Catelyn. Lock her away. She had no right to allow Jaime to go. Mom or not. Apparently people are thinking Robb is being a prick about this? Really? Oh and did either of them wonder where Bran and Rickon was?? Last they knew they were at Winterfell when this all went down and now everyone is dead.

Okay I'll stop rambling now. Can't wait to read other people's thoughts on my thoughts. :D

8. Apr 1, 2013 #8 of 134
    tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    When it ended I said to the wife "That was quick"!
    A couple of points:
    I noticed there was something different about Winterfell in the opening, but the folks here pointed it out that it was burning (so is it going to burn all season?)
    The "Unsullied" training regimen makes the Navy SEALS look like wimps (although the SEALS are volunteers, the Unsullied conscripts)
    Lady Margery is definitely a better queen than Goeffery deserves, which makes me think that it can't end well for her (although since Diana Rigg is playing her mother "the Queen of Thorns" that might improve her result)
    Littlefinger definitely has the hots for Sansa as a Kat replacement --Creepy
    I was going to say that Dany was going to buy at least some of the Unsullied as it fits Westerosi tradition of doing the wrong thing for the right reason, but I think that the former King's Guard commander will talk her out of it.
    Stannis showed why no one wanted him as king, in spades. Has he not connected, Mellisandre's "pregnancy" the secret trip to the shore, and Renley's death?

9. Apr 1, 2013 #9 of 134
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Robb was in Harrenhall (sp?), not Winterfell.

I was spoilered to the Giants because I rewatched season 2! when the old man tells the cripple Stark (can't remember the name) that there are no dragons and no Giants, I figured everything he says will be wrong :)

10. Apr 1, 2013 #10 of 134
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Love your ramblings, please don't stop. It reminds me of a lot of points I want to comment on!

As far as the timing, I don't look at each scene as happening simultaneously. So Jon Snow's scenes are right after the S2 Finale; while the King's Landing's scenes might be a month later. When I think about it this way, my head doesn't hurt as much.

Oh, and what is SPN? I'm only familiar with ESPN :D

11. Apr 1, 2013 #11 of 134
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh thank you!!! I was baffled by that. I forgot they showed Harrenhall in the opening. Sadly they do not look that much different now. I hope they rebuild Winterfell though. It was lovely!

And I probably heard the giants thing but didn't take it seriously enough to remember at the time. :)

12. Apr 1, 2013 #12 of 134
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Same here...but on the re-watch, the guy tells him there is

1. no magic
    2. no people who can see/live through animals
    3. no white walkers
    4. no dragons
    5. no giants

he says these things in a couple of conversations. I figured since he was wrong about the first 4, there is no way he was right about the fifth!

you should have done your homework like the rest of us and re-watched season 2. tsk tsk tsk. :p

13. Apr 1, 2013 #13 of 134
    BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston
    I like this show, but geez do they have a ton of characters. I guess it's probably easier if you've read the books (I haven't). Hard to keep track of everyone.

14. Apr 1, 2013 #14 of 134
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    No way Margery is a nice person. I think it's all an act.

He did not need to make any connections. He knew it from the start and told the Onion Knight to take the Red Woman to the shore and to NOT tell him what happened. He sent her to assassinate his brother using her magic.

15. Apr 1, 2013 #15 of 134
    photoshopgrl

Nov 22, 2008
    Boring Ohio
    Oh yeah I totally forgot to comment on that. That was just gross and weird and WHAT? How is it even possible for someone to have their entire nipple cut off without flinching? Yikes.

Didn't Davos even yell something about her having a demon spawn?? Will it sink in or is Stannis just that stupid? No wonder nobody wants him as their king.

Supernatural, my only real obsession!

16. Apr 1, 2013 #16 of 134
    mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    I have to agree with many here about several topics. But the most impressive to me was that I was watching, looked up, and there were the credits. Fastest hour on TV ever! Whew, it just flew by.

To me, that indicates how amazingly well put together this show is. Yes, not a lot happened, and it was a "connector" episode, but it's so well done, who cares? I could watch a whole season of GoT connector episodes, and be very happy, given how good this show is.

17. Apr 1, 2013 #17 of 134
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    So clearly the best show on TV right now. Sorry, Breaking Bad fans. It's not close.

I wasn't all that impressed with the beer, though. It was just "ok"

18. Apr 1, 2013 #18 of 134
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I see Margery gaining the loyalty of the orphans and regular folk as ammunition against King Joffrey the A-Hole when it comes time for her to make her move against him. Just my non-book reading opinion. I agree that she's probably not a nice person.

19. Apr 1, 2013 #19 of 134
    TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    We already saw her being manipulative last season.

20. Apr 1, 2013 #20 of 134
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Beer?

I can't wait for her wedding night. I bet it will be even more memorable than when she told Renly it was ok if her brother came in to get him "started" :eek: