1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Game of Thrones" prequel announced

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Jun 8, 2018 #1 of 13
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Per TVLine:
    HBO on Friday officially ordered a prequel pilot set in the same world as its massively successful, award-winning fantasy drama — except the action will take place thousands of years before the Cersei’s/Daenerys’/Stannis’/etc. fight for the Iron Throne, TVLine has learned.

Per the official logline, “the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. And only one thing is for sure: from the horrifying secrets of Westeros’ history to the true origin of the white walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend… it’s not the story we think we know.”

Game of Thrones Prequel Pilot Greenlit at HBO, Promises to Show Westeros' 'Darkest Hour'

***By the very nature of this thread, there will be spoilers about casting & characters, plots & story lines, and more. Be aware! ***

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    tim1724 likes this.
  2. Jun 8, 2018 #2 of 13
    Tony_T

Tony_T Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2017
    ...and guesstimated to premier in 2020

3. Jun 8, 2018 #3 of 13
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    So they greenlit a PILOT? we'll wait 2-3 years before we maybe have a pilot?

4. Jun 8, 2018 #4 of 13
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    No, they'll look at the pilot and then decide if they want to order the series. The series order could easily happen within a year, and be on the air a year after that...which would be as soon as it could air anyway, since they want to wait at least a year after GoT ends.

5. Jun 8, 2018 #5 of 13
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Wouldn't it be cool if the world of Westeros thousands of years before the events of GoT was actually very futuristic and high-tech? Kind of like the whole "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" thing blew everyone's minds when Star Wars was first released. And then something happened that caused the tech and knowledge to be destroyed and the world devolved back into a medieval society.

Note that I'm not advocating for this, as it would be very out of keeping with the world GRRM has created, and I'm sure there would be massive fan revolts if this is the direction they took. But I still think it would be a kind of cool concept to explore.

6. Jun 8, 2018 #6 of 13
    Hcour

Hcour Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Sounds like they're going to milk the GOT phenom for all its worth. As I understand it (please correct me if I'm wrong) but last season wasn't from the books because Martin hasn't gotten there yet. I thought the season was ok, but definitely didn't have the wild flights of baroque imagination that Martin brought to the previous seasons. It was much more... conventional. Not sure if I'm interested in a prequel if it's not part of Martin's genius.

7. Jun 8, 2018 #7 of 13
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Pretty sure the outline Martin gave them for last season and beyond is full of his important plot points

8. Jun 9, 2018 #8 of 13
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I think it may feel slightly more "conventional" because the series is ending and needs to start closing off plot lines and bringing things together.

9. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
  10. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    daylight is coming?

11. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    If this prequel takes place during the Long Night, does that mean virtually every scene is either at night time or indoors with only candles and torches? That could become a pretty difficult show to watch if it's always dark on screen.

12. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    That would be really interesting.

I've been hoping they'd do the spin off during the time of the Valyrians, concluding with the Doom.

LlamaLarry and DevdogAZ like this.
  13. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    That was one of the scenarios I was also hoping for. Surely one of the five prequels covers that?

Getting to see the major families of Valyria, the in-fighting, the dragons (ooh, $$$), the flight of minor house Targaryen, the Doom... sounds like a winner!