Game of Thrones "Oathkeeper" 4/27/14 S4E4

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Apr 27, 2014 #1 of 166
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Poor Tommen. He looked like a deer in the headlights.:)

2. Apr 27, 2014 #2 of 166
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I'd be glad to trade places with him. I certainly don't think Margaery means him any harm.

3. Apr 28, 2014 #3 of 166
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So the question is solved as to how Joffrey was killed. As many here suspected, thanks to gentle prodding from the book readers, it was Lady Olenna with the Poison Gem in at the Head Table. As to when she put the gem/poison in the goblet, we don't know, since it seemed they filmed her dropping something in a goblet or carafe right after taking the gem from Sansa's necklace, but that was early in the wedding party, and the death didn't actually occur until much later, so it's unlikely nobody had drunk from that vessel during that entire time. More likely is that she put it in his cup after Tyrion filled it and handed it to him, probably while Joffrey was slicing open the pie.

So remind me what Locke's mission is? Did Roos Bolton send him to kill Jon Snow and the Stark boys? If so, he really struck gold with Jon's proposed mission.

So is there a difference between the zombies (the one that took the baby and was riding the horse) and the White Walkers (the one that picked up the baby and turned his eyes blue? Is the zombie just an undead version of a White Walker?

How old is Tommen supposed to be at this point? And how old is Margaery supposed to be?

Why would Baelish be telling Sansa all the details of his plot? Does he really think that if she ever gets a chance to tell someone else, she's going to be loyal to him?

Which sword did Jamie give to Brienne? Was it the one Tywin gave to Jamie, or the one Tywin gave to Joffrey? Either way, I'm guessing Tywin's not going to be too happy if/when he finds out that his precious Valeryian Steel sword is no longer in the family.

4. Apr 28, 2014 #4 of 166
    john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    The question of who and what is solved. I still do not see HOW it was done.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

How did Olenna grab the cup, put the poison in, and put the cup back all in a few seconds, without that guard noticing?

5. Apr 28, 2014 #5 of 166
    john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    The answer must be that Olenna is capable of magically teleporting herself and people and objects. She practices her teleporting trick on herself and Mace during the performance of the War of the Five Kings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Apr 28, 2014 #6 of 166
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Since Sansa is wanted for treason, if she's found at all she's going to be killed and if Baelish is found harboring her he will too. Probably he thinks Sansa will realize it's in her best interests to not be found if she knows how much she's implicated (her necklace etc.)

7. Apr 28, 2014 #7 of 166
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...

I'll answer the things I know or can guess:

Loche's mission is to kill Jon Snow, Bran, and Rikkon. He will get 1,000 something (acres?) of land and a keep (or something like that). A King's ransom, basically.

To date, we've seen 2 kinds of white walkers. The regular dead people that you can kill by burning them and the ice white people with blue eyes that you kill with dragonglass. We may now have seen a third kind, and they seem to be the leaders of the whole gang.

8. Apr 28, 2014 #8 of 166
    john4200

Oct 31, 2009
    The reanimated dead are "wights". The creatures that can create wights out of dead bodies, and can only be killed with dragonglass are the "White Walkers". I'm not sure what the difference is between the creature that brought the baby to the altar, and the creatures arrayed behind the altar. Maybe they are all White Walkers, but of different tribes or different hierarchies?

9. Apr 28, 2014 #9 of 166
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    How bad are the Kingsguard? Then again, Margaery probably batted a few eyelashes :D

10. Apr 28, 2014 #10 of 166
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Yeah they are pretty lame, they went to storm trooper academy I guess.

11. Apr 28, 2014 #11 of 166
    dslunceford

dslunceford Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    The background on the Walkers haven't been totally fleshed out in the books as far as I recall. There are a couple of stories out today that seem to agree with that thought:

For once, 'Game of Thrones' bamboozled book readers just as much, if not more, than show-only viewers.

And this story that has links to an HBO synopsis with more clues that was subsequently pulled by the network: 'Game of Thrones' Season 4 'Oathkeeper' synopsis confirms major White Walker theory

12. Apr 28, 2014 #12 of 166
    MarkL

MarkL Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    At the end of the scene where Tywin gives the sword to Jamie, he says "Keep it. A man without a hand or a family will need all the help he can get". Tywin is threatening Jamie with disownment, so in Tywin's mind, perhaps the sword has already left House Lannister.

13. Apr 28, 2014 #13 of 166
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    It really doesn't matter at this point. We know who did it, we mostly know why. We can debate the politics behind this castle intrigue all day, but can we pleeeease stop debating the how. It really doesn't matter HOW!

I doubt Jaime would give up his own sword. But someone with screencap abilities (and Lord knows, we seem to have a surfeit of them:D) can determine if it's the same one Tywin gave him.

14. Apr 28, 2014 #14 of 166
    astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Spoiler on origin of the sword. This is NOT a spoiler in any sense of the word, but since it comes from another source, I am spoilerizing it. This is from HBO's own synopsis of the episode:

http://viewers-guide.hbo.com/game-of-thrones/season-4/episode-4/home/34

15. Apr 28, 2014 #15 of 166
    dslunceford

dslunceford Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2000
    No. VA/D.C.
    Well, the how does matter. In the sense that it was a plot involving Baelish, the creation of a necklace of poison that Sansa wears, and that Olenna is the one that uses the poison from that necklace. That part of the how certainly matters.

Whether the filming of the death scene took enough care to make that series of events more plausible is another issue, and yeah, doesn't matter in the bigger sense.

But it would have been nice if they could have taken more care to better line up the scene details in a way that mapped perfectly after the fact. I mean, they do know their audience will be debating this type of stuff, don't they? :D

16. Apr 28, 2014 #16 of 166
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    "Baby, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated."

Remind me: What happened to the wilding that helped Bran espace, O??? I seem to remember that she just set out on her own.

Who are those other two kids? The other Starks?

Why is Bram's group north of the wall? Bram's vision is sending them there?

If Littlefinger is taking Sansa to the Eyrie, and the hound and Arya are on the way, and Briene gets a Raven (what happened to those?) we're in for a fun climax.

17. Apr 28, 2014 #17 of 166
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I was thinking in the <whatever> movie where the Playboy bunny crashes through the ceiling into the kid's bed and he says, "Thank You, God!"

18. Apr 28, 2014 #18 of 166
    MarkL

MarkL Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    Osha and Rickon are headed somewhere else. I forget where.

The Reeds. The Reeds are a minor house and bannermen of House Stark. Jojen is the boy and has visions like Bran and is guiding Bran through his warg journey. Meera is the sister.

Right.

Ravens travel to other cities, so unless Brienne stays in Kings Landing (which she's not) she really won't be receiving any raven messages. And yes, it's going to get more interesting-er :)

19. Apr 28, 2014 #19 of 166
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    That would be Animal House:

20. Apr 28, 2014 #20 of 166
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I can think of 2 reasons why it's Jaime's sword:

1. They showed the clip about Jaime's sword in the "previously on". Not of Tywin giving Joffrey the other sword.

2. Jaime's sword is his to give.