Game of Thrones "Lord Snow" 5/1/11 *Spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by billypritchard, May 2, 2011.

1. May 2, 2011 #1 of 92
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Lot of great scenes in this episode, especially some that were specifically non-book scenes. Cersei with Joffrey was a great view into what kind of parent raises a child like that.

Liked Syrio Forel and Arya's 'dance class'. Looked like Ned was proud, but a bit disturbed by memories of past battles, and bringing his children into the life.

Yoren, the black brother drinking with Tyrion at the Wall, looked nothing like I pictured him. And I liked the Benjen/Tyrion discussion in that scene.

2. May 2, 2011 #2 of 92
    billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    NOTE - Maybe we can try this. Post freely in this thread

Comments about this episode or past episodes
    Speculation about upcoming events (Only for non-book readers)
    Comments about how events in this specific episode differ from the books

Post these items in spoiler tags

Comments about anything not specifically mentioned in this or past episodes of the show (upcoming events, historical events, etc...)

3. May 2, 2011 #3 of 92
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought this was the best episode so far and I've liked all of them.

Arya is cool.

I was cheering in my head when Viserys got treated like the dirty, low down dog that he is. The balance of power has certainly changed in that family dynamic.

4. May 2, 2011 #4 of 92
    billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    The looks between Rakharo and Irri (maybe?) when Dany was saying don't hurt him were great. They're like, 'seriously?'

One thing that didn't portray well was why Dany wanted to stop. She have to do some business?

5. May 2, 2011 #5 of 92
    allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I agree. I loved that scene!

6. May 2, 2011 #6 of 92
    dandrewk

dandrewk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Marin...
    It isn't explained very well. Dany was upset at the poor treatment the Dothraki's were displaying towards their slaves. She felt powerless to do anything about that, so she just stopped the whole procession to take a breather.

7. May 2, 2011 #7 of 92
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Loving this show so far. It's interesting that their seasons last varying number of years, i think they said it was the 9th year of summer at this point? and 100 feet of snow! wow...

8. May 2, 2011 #8 of 92
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    If there's anything that can make me equally happy as those past two episodes were sad, it's freaking dancing lessons. Several new introductions tonight, but I think maybe it was slightly slower paced so he wasn't as head spinning for non-readers. Carcetti is going to make an awesome Petyr Baelish.

A lot of creative freedom went into this episode, lots of new scenes for non-pov characters, lots of logistical tweaks and changes. I think they did a fairly good job. I loved the scene between Robert, Jaime, and Barristan the Bold. And Tyrion actually peeing off the wall.

Now, book 3/4 spoilers:
    They're really changing a lot with the Lannisters to make them more sympathetic. We don't learn about the Mad King saying burn them all until book 3 or 4. Part of Jaime's redemption path I think was helped that there had been some time since he pushed Bran, but they're really pushing to make them sympathetic.

9. May 2, 2011 #9 of 92
    TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    Thank you! I couldn't for the life of me remember where I knew him from and was too lazy to IMDB him. Man, he is chock full of smarmy. :D

10. Incognito

Incognito Undercover Papa

May 5, 2004
    Buffalo
    Like to see Jon Snow take up a leadership role at the Wall. Got to meet Pyp, Grenn & Rast -- Jon fellow Nights Watch recruits. Look like next week we meet the new recruit to the wall too. ;-)

Was good to see Jeor Mormont "Old Bear" (played by James Cosmo of Braveheart fame) as the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch.

Not sure they said this but I'll put in spoilers tag
    Joer is the father of the exiled knight, Ser Jorah Mormont who is currently with Daenerys Targaryen & the Dothraki

I am especially excited to see Jon Snow and Arya Starks story to unfold.

11. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    Loved the dance lessons. Arya and Tyrion have always been my favorite characters. For just about everybody else, at some point or other, I want to do this:

Not a spoiler:
    [​IMG]

12. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I don't know if y'all have stumbled upon them yet, but EW.com does really good episode recaps. They are very funny, go over things and clarify events just the tiniest bit with backstory from the books. A couple example from this week (no spoilers here)....when Ned entered the throne room, I thought it looked very beautiful, but I couldn't quite figure out the details of the throne itself. The recap explains what the throne is made of. Also, I was pretty much completely confused by the conversation between Jaime and Ned about someone burning up and screaming and someone being stabbed in the back and so on. The recap clarifies the back story there. Just the right amount of book info, in my opinion.

I thought the lady telling those scary stories to ....dang, what is his name? Bran? .....was hilarious.

13. murgatroyd

murgatroyd Don't stop believin'

Jan 5, 2002
    Berkeley CA
    Yeah, Old Nan is a hoot. In either version. ;)

14. Doh

Doh Well-Known Member

May 18, 2001
    I think they have said that the knight with Dany is Jonah Mormont, and the head of the Night's Watch is Jeor Mormont, so I was thinking they might be father/son.

The small council was Varys, Littlefinger, the old maester, and who else? Was there a Lannister there?

Arya is my favorite character in both the book and the show-- I am so glad they got that character right.

Not liking Jon Snow quite as much in the show as the book, not sure why.

15. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Renly, the King's younger brother was the other small council member. He got a big hug from Ned.

If you've read the book, don't you know the answer to your first comment?

16. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's kind of a whiny dick. That might be why. :D

Hopefully, they're just giving him room to grow.

17. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    He was in the book also :) It took me forever to warm up to the Jon and Dany storylines so maybe it's coloring my view of him.

18. Doh

Doh Well-Known Member

May 18, 2001
    Thanks. I read the books a while ago so I've forgotten a lot detail (but I was also responding to the question about whether the info. belonged in spoilers).

I heard there's some superfan that Martin has been consulting on the new book to make sure he doesn't get details wrong (like the color of a horse or something). ;)

19. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Reminds me of Stephen King, who hired Robin Furth (who I believe was a grad student at the time) as his research assistant on the Dark Tower books when he resumed work on them, for that exact reason. She also wrote a two-volume guide to the Dark Tower series. She went on to become the co-writer of the Dark Tower comics, and now has a nifty little career going as a comic book writer.

20. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    This is weird. When they say summer is nine years, are we just saying that it hasn't gotten really cold in that long? The nanny mentioned not seeing the sun at all. We're just talking about really heavy cloud cover here? Blizzard conditions, maybe? I'm no scientist, but how can the seasons on a planet not be uniform, however long or short they are?

I'm not so sure of that. He was so perfect as an Irish politician in Baltimore--he just keeps looking like he's in costume, to me. I guess I'll get used to it. Is he related to anyone? Hard to believe that anyone in this town is sympathetic to the Starks. Wouldn't he rather have Ned out of the way?

Thanks--this is really funny. And helpful.

I didn't like this episode as much as the first 2, but it explained a lot. I think Ned would be better off to just go back to Winterfell and cut ties with this bunch. The Queen pointed out that it would be impossible to conquer the North. Of course, I guess the White Walkers start there first....