Game of Thrones - "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things" - 5/8/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Aniketos, May 8, 2011.

1. May 8, 2011 #1 of 89
    Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    How'd you like that gigantic exposition dump non-book readers? :)

Lot's of changes from the book, I think between last week and this week I'm finally able to separate the two enough (or the creators of the show are just that good) that I really, really love the added scenes. I've always felt that George needed an editor, maybe not parsed down to 10 episodes, but at least a little trimming here and there.

We got direwolves! (Finally, ghost shows up again) and Dany standing up to Viserys. Needed more Arya (but thats my opinion of every chapter in the book, needs more Arya and Tyrion)

I think in the expo dumps there were little fanservice moments which I liked.

Overall, good episode, there's only one issue I have in the change from book to show.

Book change spoiler
    Giving Sandor's story to Littlefinger.

But since I've slowly moved down to one change issue per show, especially the last couple that have made lot of changes, it's a good thing in my mind.

2. May 9, 2011 #2 of 89
    drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    A lot of the book and show are different order. I'm trying to read the book just far enough ahead to stay with the show, and much is out of order, but it is all going in to my memory file storage system as one story. I can't really tell the difference between whether I watched a segment or read it. Sort of like reading the same stuff from two different perspectives, the "real" story is sort of between the two sources for me.

Enjoyable so far.

3. May 9, 2011 #3 of 89
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I really love the show's opening credits music and graphics.

This show is just unbelievable. I stayed up just to watch it and I don't regret it even though I'm tired as hell this morning.

Way too much info dump for me. I think I missed a ton of stuff. This is clearly a show that I will have to watch 2-3 times to get all the details. I'm not saying that as a negative or a complaint. This show is worth it. Even with it being on HBO and re-runs are not a problem, I still moved it up to the number 1 honored slot on my SP list.

4. May 9, 2011 #4 of 89
    allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Am I the only one who kept rewinding the scene where Dany struck back at Viserys? :D

5. May 9, 2011 #5 of 89
    billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    They need the exposition, but this one may have been a little heavy.

Tyrion/Theon on the Greyjoy rebellion
    Sansa/Septa on the Iron Throne
    Viserys/Doreah on dragons/targaryens
    Littlefinger/Sansa on the Cleganes

I don't include Jon/Sam/Thorne discussing sex and Thornes time at the wall. That felt different, purposeful.

6. May 9, 2011 #6 of 89
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Looks like the proverbial crap is fan bound.

What was the point of Littlefinger telling Sansa Burnface's story?

Lena Headley does ***** face very well. Every episode of T:SCC too.

7. May 9, 2011 #7 of 89
    pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Awesome ending!

8. May 9, 2011 #8 of 89
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    Not looking for spoilers

Why did Ned assume that the blacksmith was a bastard of Robert? My first thought was that this was the boy the queen talked about in episode 2 and may therefore be the true heir!

certainly, the mother description fit the queen.

I seem to recall that she said they took him away alive and that she never visited the grave. I wonder if it's possible that this was a ruse to take him away and save him from her.

9. May 9, 2011 #9 of 89
    billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, Ned didn't hear that story, Catelyn did. But good question.

10. rhuntington3

rhuntington3 Well-Known Member TCF Club

May 1, 2001
    Agree! :up:

11. mostman

mostman Member

Jul 16, 2000
    Boston
    The key part of the scene was when he said "look at me". Its the way the boy looks that makes him unmistakably Roberts son. Remember Ned and Robert have known each other since youth.

In the books this is explained much better - over a much longer period of time. I'm going to put the next bit in a spoilers tag. I'm 95 percent sure that what I'm going to say below is absolutely spoiler free, and you should be fine reading it - but I'll do it anyway.

In the books - Ned goes through the lineage book and makes the observation that everyone in Roberts line has a distinct look (dark hair, eyes, etc). He figures that John Arryn's statement "the seed is strong" is in reference to this. The Baratheon genes are dominant. When he sees the Blacksmiths apprentice - he puts it all together, realizing that he is the bastard son of the King.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And just as importantly, that
    Joffrey is NOT the King's son.

13. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    Like everything else in this episode it was just background information, my guess is they're going to start ramping things up soon, and they're trying to get as much info out so they can start focusing on that and viewer's can have a little bit of knowledge that of all the characters so they know who is who.

14. 3D

3D Active Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Plantation, FL.
    The above spoiler is not entirely accurate. I have not watched the most recent episode so I can't comment on whether that spoiler is safe for non-readers or not, but I would advise non-readers to stay away from that one as well as the one that follows.

I'm doing a re-read right now and am probably only able to dispute your spoiler because I literally just read this section at lunch. Seeing the blacksmith's apprentice was not the time when Ned finally figured out what Jon Arryn meant by "the seed is strong." He pieced it together much later on when talking to Sansa and Arya. When he told Sansa that she was not going to marry Joffrey, she went off about how they would have such beautiful children with blond hair and yada yada yada." The following chapter, told from Ned's point of view, tells us quite specifically that it was this comment that caused the pieces to finally click into place.

15. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Also

Sansa says something like 'Joffrey is nothing like that nasty old king!', to which Ned replies, 'Out of the mouth of babes' or some such.

16. 3D

3D Active Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Plantation, FL.
    I remembered the quote, but had totally forgotten the first part about the drunk/nasty king even though I just read it :eek: I'll be very surprised if "out of the mouths of babes" does not make it into one of the next couple of episodes.

Sorry for the two spoilerized posts. I generally try to stay away from that sort of thing to be more inclusive.

17. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    this thread is nothing but spoiler tags....

i'm enjoying the book, reading it just ahead of the show and i've never done that before with any series, so it's a different experience for sure.

love the acting and scenery so far, the new knight killed at the joust was just spot-on awesome.

18. Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I think it's a forgone conclusion that it's Robert's son. I'm not disputing that.

What I am disputing is that he is a bastard. If he is the son that - another assumption - the queen tried to kill because he wasn't her brother's son (or he got sick, whatever), then he is the rightful heir to the throne.

Maybe this is just a way to show that a kid born to Robert will look a certain way, and this is proof that Joffrey is not Robert's. But my speculation makes it a much bigger discovery than simply that, I think.

19. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I'm just about the opposite, trying to catch up to what I just watched. I wish I had more time to read! If only I could read while running...

(yes I know about books on "tape")

Greg

20. Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    I think it was the blacksmith's eyes that made him sure it was Robert's son.