Game of Thrones 8/27/17 "The Dragon and the Wolf"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Aug 27, 2017 #1 of 469
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm glad to see I was right that Arya was playing Littlefinger, and not the other way around. I'm a little surprised that Bran and Sam pooled their knowledge this quickly (or that Sam even realized he had his part of the puzzle).

I'm also a little surprised that the rift between Cersei and Jamie happened this soon. But I'm not surprised that Cersei being sane was just a ruse.

Things are really moving fast!

tim1724, allan, NorthAlabama and 3 others like this.
  2. Aug 27, 2017 #2 of 469
    Shakhari

Shakhari Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I guess Arya has a new face to add to her collection.

3. Aug 27, 2017 #3 of 469
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    I thought for sure we were gonna get Cleglane Bowl, but alas...

So, dragon glass is more effective against the ordinary unwashed undead than plain steel. That's interesting.

4. Aug 27, 2017 #4 of 469
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    I don't normally cheer when watching tv, but when Sansa said, "Lord Baelish", I cheered.

I guess we now know why Sam ignored Gilly when she was talking about Rhaegar and Lyanna's wedding, he had already transcribed that book. It was old news to him.

Was that the same actor who played Viserys as Rhaegar?

tim1724 and dcheesi like this.
  5. Aug 27, 2017 #5 of 469
    SoBelle0

SoBelle0 Go Big Blue!! TCF Club

Jun 25, 2002
    Decatur, GA
    Too fast! I also was relieved when shown that Arya and Sansa were working together. Whew. Would there be any use to having LF's face now?

Why was Tyrion sulking outside the room with Dany and Jon? He wouldn't be surprised. I didn't get the impression he would be jealous. Confusing.

Dang!! That dragon made short work of the wall. Way too fast!
    If Tormund is dead I am going to be so mad.

6. Aug 27, 2017 #6 of 469
    TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    Looks like Sam knew what Gilly was talking about. He didn't think it was important until Bran gave him the rest of the info. He'd better be able to put things together quickly if he is going to be the Grand Maester.

The Sansa/Arya plan to trap Baelish was great. Sansa learns slowly but she learns. Wonder if Arya will use his face next season.

Oh. And wow. The wall came tumblin down. Lookedore like ice than fire.

7. Aug 27, 2017 #7 of 469
    Azlen

Azlen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Peoria, AZ
    It's going to be way too long before the next season starts. Seems like there's a lot to wrap up in only six episodes.

8. Aug 27, 2017 #8 of 469
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    The only reason I could see Arya using Littlefinger's face would be if she set up a meeting with Cersei as a ruse that Littlefinger was going to doublecross the Starks and used the meeting to kill her. The only problem is that it was a very public death, so it's unlikely that word won't get back to Cersei.

tim1724 likes this.
  9. Aug 27, 2017 #9 of 469
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
  10. Aug 27, 2017 #10 of 469
    DUSlider

DUSlider Active Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    So I guess that dragon was breathing magic.

11. Aug 27, 2017 #11 of 469
    Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    And baby makes three. Targaryens. Banging a fellow Targaryan is what's going to make it happen.

I think it was the same actor playing Rhaegar. That made my skin crawl.

Now that there are two dragons and two (adult) Targaryans I suppose that she's will ride who. Jon will get to ride the dragon named after his father.

Also that big talk about having two fathers takes on extra meaning. Jon is a Stark and a Targaryen like Theon is a Greyjoy and a Stark.

12. Aug 27, 2017 #12 of 469
    getbak

getbak Well-Known Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    Did anyone else think of Peggy Hill during Theon's fight?

[​IMG]

Donbadabon and tim1724 like this.
  13. Aug 27, 2017 #13 of 469
    TampaThunder

TampaThunder Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2003
    Tampa, FL
    I had to laugh when Bronn and Poderick went off for a drink together before the meeting. I guess that's one way to keep Bronn and Cersei from being on the set together. They must really hate each other.

tim1724 and IDSmoker like this.
  14. Aug 27, 2017 #14 of 469
    pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    I was excited, and disappointed. They checked a few things off of the list, but there were some slow spots, too. When they rerun this I wonder if they'll cut it down to 60 minutes, or leave it at 80.

15. Aug 27, 2017 #15 of 469
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    He hit Theon in the one place that wouldn't hurt him!

Loved it when Sansa and Arya revealed their plan. The look on Littlefinger's face was priceless!

And there I thought Euron was going to be the only sensible one. They can't cross water? Fine, I'm going home. Y'all have fun!

Varys thought Littlefinger wanted to be king of the ashes. He's got nothing on Cersai.

16. Aug 27, 2017 #16 of 469
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Man! Baelish's death came way too quickly. Obviously Bran told Sansa and Arya everything they needed to know. But it would have been cool, as a flashback, them getting the information on Little Finger.

I too think that was the same actor who played Viserys. And it was confusing seeing Tyrion's reaction. I guess he thinks that Jon would have more influence?

17. Aug 27, 2017 #17 of 469
    Dawghows

Dawghows Liberal Elitist

May 17, 2001
    NJ
    Harry Lloyd played Viserys.
    Wilf Scolding played Rhaegar.

18. Aug 27, 2017 #18 of 469
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    It looked more like they were wearing the same wig that that they were the same person. ;)

panictivo likes this.
  19. Aug 27, 2017 #19 of 469
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    I thought it was ice at first, but clearly it was blue fire. Blue is the hottest color of fire. The whole "burn down a the ice wall" thing seemed like a plot hole for anyone who's watched mythbusters (a little 2 foot cube of ice stood up to a flamethrower for like 45 minutes and as I recall it was barely melted). But mythbusters never got to debunk blue fire vs ice, so I guess we're still good :)

Very good episode, and unlike last week I think we were fairly solid in the writing this week. Cersei was indeed smart enough to figure out that one of the dragons was dead. But of course she's deluded. Not sure what she expects to do once everyone in the north is killed by the white walkers. I mean, I guess she could (as a variation of what someone here suggested last week) put together the largest engineering effort since the construction of the wall and instead dig a giant moat across the neck and hope it doesn't freeze over or that the white walkers don't discover rafts.

Glad to see the hard-to-swallow sansa vs arya was not actually true. Though I must admit I'm pretty sad to see littlefinger dead. Since season 1, there's been a small part of me hoping that "king of the ashes" thing played out. But despite GRRM repeatedly killing all of those characters we love, I figured we'd never get an ending that brutal. But I guess it was Littlefingers time to go. He worked all that time to get himself an army, but he seemed to have sort of backed himself in a corner without a whole lot of room to grow. His character has stagnated.

I loved the whole overlay effect of "yeah, they're doing 'it'....by the way, they're brother and sister, you know" :eek::D It was almost like a comedy moment. Odd that Bran had seen so many things but he missed out on that one small part.

So what's up with Jamie. Is he really riding off by himself? No armies (and scorpions) to take with him? Strange, in that I'm not sure what he'll do to help (other than warn them about Cersei's real plan). But at least glad he made it out of there alive. I really believed there for a moment that Cersei was crazy enough to kill him.

The whole Euron thing was perhaps the one odd part. They had that all pretty well planned out considering they had no idea there was going to be a wight in Kings Landing. Maybe the plan was supposed to be that Cersei agrees to the truce and Euron just says "What??? F this BS, I'm outta here" and when he saw the wight he just improvised.

tim1724 and uncdrew like this.
  20. Aug 27, 2017 #20 of 469
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I loved Bran saying Robert's Rebellion was built on a lie.

This episode was almost 90min and it felt rushed, weird!