Game of Thrones 8/20/17 "Beyond the Wall"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by morac, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Aug 20, 2017 #1 of 369
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Wow, wow wow! The second to last episode of the season is always epic, but this blows previous seasons away, even though I predicted the ending was going to happen at the end of last season.

Couple of nits though. Does the Night King just happen to carry around dragon killing spears all the time? Also how is John still alive after all that.

Other that those nits, this was a great episode.

2. Aug 20, 2017 #2 of 369
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I hate to admit it, but I did not see that coming! At least we know, the one who makes them rise will be the one who needs to die first!

3. Aug 20, 2017 #3 of 369
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Not sure where you got your episode title from. The HBO Now app is calling it "Beyond the Wall"

And yes, they carry around those spears with them all the time. I'm pretty sure we saw those at Hardhome, too.

That opening scene was full of great lines. The little argument between Jon and Tormund about whether Winterfell is "down south" or in the north. The reaction from Gendry after Tormund's "we'll have to make do with what we've got". Tormund's comments about Mance being to proud to bend the need and how many wildlings died because of it. Gendry: "she strapped me down and stripped me naked"..."sounds alright so far". And later the interaction between Tormund and The Hound about gingers, fire, liking dick, and Brienne of f'ing Tarth. Jon and Beric's bonding over deaths and oaths. All in all, it was a lot of "filler" material, but it's was all great...the type of stuff they've been badly missing a lot of this season now that they're writing for themselves.

I don't like Arya's righteous attitude. She even points out how if Jon knew about the scroll, he wouldn't be mad at Sansa because he would understand what she went through. Well how about that Arya, why don't you take a clue from your older brother.

And once again, I'm not liking Dany's attitude either. I don't like it when she gets angry and picks fights with her advisors. It doesn't suit her.

Not sure who got eaten by that bear, or later who got pulled down into the white walker mosh pit. Must be just one of those extras (still don't know who they were), becuase we know Jon, Beric, Gendry, Tormund, Jorah, and The Hound survived (the only significant character to die was Thoros freezing to death).

Interesting that we have confirmation that Winterfell has not heard from Jon. How hard is it to send a freaking raven, Jon?

From the moment they hatched the plan to head north I figured they were almost certain to run into more enemies than they could handle. Glad to see the writers didn't try to get away with some unlikely scenario like them abducting a single white from the whole group, or just getting lucky and bumping into a single one like Sam did. But the whole "Gendry, run back to Eastwatch" bit...sure he's the fastest runner, but he's got no experience even being in snow, much less the blizard conditions up there.

I'm not sure what to make about the whole Littlefinger scene about Brienne being there to protect Sansa and Arya from each other, and then Sansa promptly sending Brienne away when they get the raven from Kings Landing. Littlefinger seemed to be probing about Brienne (though I think he already knew the answer). Did he forge that raven message from Kings Landing? And did Sansa purposely send Brienne away specifically because of Arya?

Damn The Hound and his stupid rock throwing. What they really needed was more flaming bodies to remelt the ice (and maybe some more sledehammer action). But I'm certainly glad they saved Tormund from getting dragged under.

So which dragon died? Rhaegal or Visceron (I'm not sure how to tell them apart). That was an agonizing long setup to his death. You could see it coming so far away. So sad seeiing him sink down into the water, but I'm glad they had the White Walkers turn him in the end. We talked about that possibility a number of times, and I think it would have been a huge plot hole had they just left him dead in the water.

I wonder what happens to Benjin now. After what's happened to him before, can he be killed? Or turned? Not sure why he stayed behind though. I didn't get the whole "theres no time" bit. I think the horse could've easily got both of them to safety, even if Benjin didn't go all the way back to Eastwatch.

So I believe we heard last season that Benjin was saved by the children pushing dragon glass into his heart. Not sure what the distinction was between when dragonglass turns you into a white walker vs saves you from becomming a white walker vs kills you when you are a white walker. Is it just multipurpose depending on the timing, or is there some ritual involved that makes the distinction. Either way, I think the guys at the wall could use some of Qyburn's scorpions to fire some dragonglass tipped bolts right about now. But it will be tricky to get their hands on them. If Cersei finds out about the white walkers killing a dragon, she's more likely to try and form some partnership with the white walkers just to take out Dany, consequences of it all be damned.

But on that note, we kind of think of the white walkers being some sort of almost-unstoppable killing machines that can't be reasoned with (much like The Terminator). Yet we saw before that Caster had made some sort of arrangement with them that had gone on for quite some time, so under the right circumstances I guess the can be bargained with. So I guess it's possible she could do that, but I really hope next weeks big plot item is finally her death. 6 episodes seems like the right amount of time to wrap up a lot of loose end and take on the White Walkers without it feeling too rushed (which is how I think it would feel if we also had to deal with her next season).

4. Aug 20, 2017 #4 of 369
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    This is weird, TiVo is showing the episode name as "Death is the Enemy", but HBO Go says it is "Beyond the Wall". I'm guessing TiVo is wrong.

Kind of annoying since I was watching in HBO Go but it wouldn't display the title until I backed out so I used the episode name on the TiVo. Rovi guide data, what else can I say.

I asked a mod to change it.

5. Aug 20, 2017 #5 of 369
    DUSlider

DUSlider Active Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    The Night King one ups the scorpion weapon... Didn't see that coming.

Also, The Hound seemed like a real dumb ass this episode. I imagined Tyrion calling him a ******* idiot when he threw that rock across the ice and it didn't go far enough...

What happened to Rhaegel? I thought Dany brought all three dragons, but only remember seeing Drogon flee.

EDIT: Viserion was the Dragon killed. At according to the closed captioning for the hearing impaired.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  6. Aug 20, 2017 #6 of 369
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Maybe that's next week's title?

7. Aug 20, 2017 #7 of 369
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't think so...with Cersei, the Game is still very complicated. Once she's gone, it becomes very simple...the living vs the dead. I don't think they're near ready for that yet.

My hunch is the end game for Cersei and Jaime is Jaime's realization that Cersei is as mad as the Mad King, that if she keeps fighting she will doom the human race, and that she has to be stopped with extreme prejudice. Kingslayer turned Queenslayer. Probably in the middle or late-middle part of next season, after she's given birth to (or lost) the only thing that could stop him under those circumstances.

IDSmoker and Steveknj like this.
  8. Aug 20, 2017 #8 of 369
    Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    So, basically, Viserion is a Black Lantern? (DC Comics buffs should get that one.)

9. Aug 20, 2017 #9 of 369
    DUSlider

DUSlider Active Member

Apr 28, 2005
    PA
    I wonder if a Wight Dragon still breaths fire.

Jstkiddn likes this.
  10. Aug 20, 2017 #10 of 369
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    neither did i, and it was right there in front of us, but i tend to save my serious deconstruction for the second viewing, and just sit back and enjoy the first watch.

my first question.

11. Aug 20, 2017 #11 of 369
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    And if it does, will it set itself on fire?

12. Aug 20, 2017 #12 of 369
    pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    wow....

[​IMG]

13. Aug 20, 2017 #13 of 369
    Robin

Robin Impolite arrogant woman

Dec 6, 2001
    Southwestern...
    Doesn't seem like too much of a stretch. Jon caries a WW killing sword every where he goes...

tim1724 and NorthAlabama like this.
  14. Aug 20, 2017 #14 of 369
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    My boss had predicted the zombie dragon. It made sense. As for having dragon killing weapons, I'm sure that's how the Night King got a zombie Polar Bear, too, and probably the zombie Giant.

15. Aug 20, 2017 #15 of 369
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    My bet is on breathing ice.

Jstkiddn likes this.
  16. Aug 20, 2017 #16 of 369
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    Actually I just rewatched it and the WW takes the last spear to kill the first dragon, but another one is there to throw at the second dragon so apparently the spears appear on demand. That or they are constantly forming.

17. Aug 20, 2017 #17 of 369
    NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    i thought the second spear was handed to the night king from one of the ww standing behind him?

Robin likes this.
  18. Aug 20, 2017 #18 of 369
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Finally we can talk about this incredible episode!

So much great stuff.

19. Aug 20, 2017 #19 of 369
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Maybe Jon survived because he has some extra protection against ice like Dany does against fire.

SoBelle0, uncdrew, ct1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Aug 20, 2017 #20 of 369
    morac

morac Cat God

Mar 14, 2003
    NJ
    The same walker (big white beard) handed him both spears, but you are right it might have been a different horse or it might be the same. There's no way to tell.