Game of Thrones 8/13/17 "Eastwatch"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, Aug 13, 2017.

1. Aug 13, 2017 #1 of 287
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    And now we know...Jon was legitimate.

2. Aug 13, 2017 #2 of 287
    purwater

purwater I make tasty water

Aug 25, 2005
    SW Virginia
    That's what I said to my wife.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. Aug 13, 2017 #3 of 287
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    And Drogon likes him!

4. Aug 13, 2017 #4 of 287
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    So if Dany is Mother to Dragons, I guess that makes Jon Cousin to Dragons?

That's quite a motley crew he's gathered for his little expedition! And it looks like Gendry has a purpose in this story after all.

Ironic that Sam gets one of the most important pieces of information he'll ever get...and completely disregards it because it comes from Gilly, just like the Maesters completely disregarded what he had to say.

tim1724, NorthAlabama, tlc and 2 others like this.
  5. Aug 13, 2017 #5 of 287
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm sure we will have the full text of the message soon. I could only see that it said someone was dead. Interesting that Arya and Littlefinger are spying on each other. Littlefinger is trying to get between Arya and Sansa. Good to see Gendry again. That's quite the crew heading beyond the wall.

6. Aug 13, 2017 #6 of 287
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I'm pretty sure that was from when Sansa betrayed her father in a vain attempt to save him. Now coming back to haunt her.

7. Aug 13, 2017 #7 of 287
    LordKronos

LordKronos Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Lots of interesting things going on here.

So Cersei is pregnant? Guess that witch didn't see a 4th baby coming, did she....assuming Cersei isn't lying about it, which I suppose is a possibility.

Gendry is back...I had a feeling he'd show up as soon as we knew Davos was heading to Kings Landing. Cool to see all of these old loose ends surfacing once again. Now I actually have to rethink all the other loose ends I may have forgotten about

So what is Littlefinger up to. Was that scroll planted for Arya to find? I assume yes. Is it actually legitimate or forged? What was it about. All I could read was:

...love is dead, killed from wounds he took in a .....
    ...Joffrey and tried to steal his throne. The La[???nisters???]...
    ....Kings Landing and swear fealty to King Joffrey and...
    Your [???faithfull???] sister
    Sansa

Other than 1 or 2 extra blurry words, there wasn't much more to get from what we saw. I tried looking from the back side of the scroll but it seemed way to blurry to infer any words from my 1080p version. Is the show available in 4k at all? Anyway, from what I can see there, it looks like a scroll from Sansa to Robb saying that Ned was dead and to call Robb to Kings Landing, and I think it's forged and trying to make it look like Sansa was taking Joffrey's side. Though it could be a legitimate scroll that Sansa was forced to write. I'll have to go back and check season 1 or early season 2. I recall Robb got a scroll or 2 by raven at the time...perhaps this was one of those.

8. Aug 13, 2017 #8 of 287
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    It appears Littlefinger is trying to get between Sansa and Arya. That would certainly help his cause. He obviously wanted her to find it.

9. Aug 13, 2017 #9 of 287
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    Ahh....just checked Season 1 Episode 8. Sansa is pulled into Cersei's chambers along with Pycell, Varys, and Littlefinger...and Cersei tells Sansa to write to Catelyn and Robb and urge Robb to come to Kings Landing and swear fealty. Though this was written before Ned's death. I'm not sure what the "love is dead, killed from wounds he took" part refers to

Edit: oh, that must refer to Robert's death. Now checking the scroll again, I can make out "wound's he took in a boar hunt"

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017
  10. Aug 13, 2017 #10 of 287
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    That's Robert's death by boar, I believe...

11. Aug 13, 2017 #11 of 287
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    I snuck the ninja edit it before you could post :)

12. Aug 13, 2017 #12 of 287
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I'm curious how Sam would have reacted to his father and brother's death. They were both dicks to him. Although the new Dickon seems a little nicer. :D

13. Aug 13, 2017 #13 of 287
    LordKronos

Dec 28, 2003
    So Littlefinger's doing a good job gently tugging the strings as he always does. I'm betting he's been whispering in everyone else in order to encourage the bannermen to want to turn on Jon in favor of Sansa.

At the beginning...Bronn and Jamie surfaced pretty far from the battle...another oddity about this whole water ending last week. One thing I will note is that we know they were talking about crossing the Blackwater rush. Apparently according to the book, that's a very deep, very fast running river, so presumably that's why it looked so deep last week and why they were so far away this week. Yet the water seemed a bit calm when they surfaced.

As least we resolved any uncertainty about the two Tarley's in last weeks battle....they are both alive...ok, were.

tim1724 likes this.
  14. Aug 13, 2017 #14 of 287
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Also, you will notice, there was no sign of Drogon being crippled by the Scorpion... ;)

uncdrew likes this.
  15. Aug 13, 2017 #15 of 287
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I think he disregarded it less because it came from Gilly, and more because it didn't seem relevant.

That information would only be relevant if he knew whom Rhaegar had married, that they had had a child, and that the child was still alive today. I'm assuming the book details that it was Lyanna whom Rhaegar had married, and if that book was among those that Sam took with him, he might eventually stumble upon that fact, and it will pique his interest. But even with that knowledge, he would still have to find out about the child, and that child's identity.

If Sam knows Jon's history and also finds documentation that Lyanna was pregnant, then he might be able to connect the rest of the dots.

I wonder if he will bring this information to Daenerys, and she won't believe him, thinking he is doing it because of what she did to his family. And then we will have to hope that Jorah makes it back in time to tell her what Sam did for him before she burns Sam alive too.

At the time, I think she truly believed that her father had been caught up in a conspiracy to steal the crown from Joffrey. She didn't think he was the driving force behind it, but thought that he had been manipulated into it.

So even though Cersei told her what words to write, I think she believed them to be true. In other words, I think it was less, "You better write these lies or else your father dies," and more, "The only hope for your father's survival is for your brother to prove your family's loyalty to the crown."

Unfortunately, Arya might not realize it was the latter.

But I'm holding out hope that she knew Petyr was watching her, and is leading him along hoping that he will expose his true colors to Sansa. She can disguise herself as other people. There's no need to spy on Petyr as Arya unless she wants him to know she's there.

16. Aug 13, 2017 #16 of 287
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I don't remember his brother treating Sam poorly. He didn't stick up for him, but didn't berate him like his father did either. Was there more about that in the books?

17. Aug 13, 2017 #17 of 287
    BeanMeScot

BeanMeScot Sci-Fi Junkie

Apr 17, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    This seems likely to me. LF doesn't know she is a Faceless one.

18. Aug 14, 2017 #18 of 287
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    Well, my shake my head moment happened right a way this episode. How does Jaime (the guy charging at Danerys with a spear) and Bronn magically turn into Michael Phelps and wind up alive, downriver from the carnage of the battle? No one thought to make sure the "guy trying to kill our khaleesi" should be hunted and killed? I can suspend my disbelief with the best of them but this is just silly. Not to mention he was able to hike all the way back to Kings Landing, alive and well, to give Cersei a SITREP (situation report) and make further plans to maintain the throne.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
    Steveknj, Marco, uncdrew and 3 others like this.
  19. Aug 14, 2017 #19 of 287
    goblue97

goblue97 Welcome Home, Jimmy!

May 12, 2005
    Michigan
    In an earlier thread, someone mentioned Drogon going face to face with Jon Snow and sniffing out his dragonhood. I think it was Anubys but whomever it was, good call.

20. Aug 14, 2017 #20 of 287
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    And on top of that, they completely glossed over Tyrion thinking Jaime was dead. (I'm assuming everyone thought Jaime was dead because otherwise they would have gone after him.) They went from that to Tyrion offering to pass a message to Cersei through Jaime. What happened when they found out that Jaime was alive? Was anybody shocked that he had escaped dragon fire and made it down the river in full armor?

In my opinion, Jaime should have been captured, and then released as a gesture of good will in order to take the message back to Cersei. Or, even better, he should never have charged Daenerys in the first place.

That whole scene and the resulting events were completely wasted and unnecessary.

uncdrew likes this.