Game of Thrones 6/12/11 "Baelor"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by pendragn, Jun 12, 2011.

1. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa

Advertisements

Booo!!!!

I can't believe they killed Ned. :( Very sad ending.

tk

2. drumorgan

drumorgan a "dry" funny

Jan 11, 2003
    America's...
    I read the book and expected this last week. Hard to believe only one more ep left. Seems like so much more to get in there. Very cool. Now I have to watch them all in a row before the finale. :)

3. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    Oh. My. God. I can't say how shocked I am that Ned got killed. I thought he was our hero and the throughline of this story. Is Khal Drogo going to die, too? What the heck?

Very exciting show.

4. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Very sad that Ned died a "confessed traitor." ****ing King Weasel.

5. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL

Advertisements

I hope Arya kills Joffrey.

6. JETarpon

JETarpon Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2003
    I hate Sansa.

Now that I have that out of the way for the week, who was the guy that grabbed Arya? Was that Yoren, the Black Brother?

7. Barmat

Barmat Member

Jun 1, 2001
    Livermore CA
    Poor Ned lost his head. Robb looks like an amazing general. I doubt the Lanisters could win against him.

My guess for next week
    They trade Jamie for Sansa and declare that the North is no longer part of the Kingdom of Seven. Robb is made King of the north.

8. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    Yes.

9. pendragn

pendragn Well-Known Member

Jan 21, 2001
    Ames Iowa
    The book after "Game of Thrones" is "Clash of Kings." For this entire season I've been trying to figure out who the kings will be. We're nine out of 10 episodes in and I've given up. :) I find this story to be unpredictable.

tk

10. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Bummer! Due to clicking on the wrong spoiler, I knew it would happen, but it's still a bummer. Honor doesn't get you very far in cutthroat politics, especially when the throat cutting is literal! :mad:

Robb is a heck of a general, and I'm glad he wasn't dumb enough to fight the "Kingslayer" his way.

It doesn't look good for the blonde dragon girl.

11. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    I hate Joffrey. He is so gross.

Too bad the news of Jamie's capture didn't reach King's Landing before they killed Ned.

12. tiassa

tiassa Me --Avatar

Jul 2, 2008
    Here's an interesting sidelight to the whole Joffrey mess. Joffrey has learned the first thing about being King which is "You are always right". He hasn't learned the 2nd more important thing which is "Since you are always right, you'd better make the right decisions". We all know that Jamie is really Joffrey's father, and that the queen (is she still queen with her husband dead?) is the love of Jamie's life (I know eeewww. . . but that is how it is). Joffrey went against his Mother's wishes, what happens if he starts disrespecting her in other ways? I can't see Jamie standing for that (of course with Jamie in the hands of the Starks this may be less of a concern).

The ruler of "The Twins" (I can't help but think of another meaning of that phrase, but that is another story), cut himself a good deal, he managed to palm off 3 of his kids to the Starks in one deal. Of course if he didn't continue to boff and/or marry 15 year olds, this would be less of a problem.

and in an entirely different vein . . .
    George RR Martin said he started this series because he was tired of writing for TV and wanted to write something that was "unfilmable". In that way he succeeded. However I think this is why HBO decided to film it, after this first series people (those who haven't read the books) are going to be reminded of the Sopranos in that "Anyone can get whacked at any time"

13. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Paraphrasing the Late Lord Frey

"Such a flower, and the honey is all mine."

Ewwww.

14. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Damn. If it wasn't for bad luck, Ned would have no luck at all. Somebody should write a song called The Ned Stark Blues.

Can't wait for next week.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Would love to have a dozen more episodes. Such a fantastic series. So much to cover and so little time.

I finished the book Saturday night. I hope they have a GoT marathon sometime, as I'd love to see them all again, this time with the greater depth of info from having read the book.

Reminder to self: read Book Two a month before next season.

16. Tracy

Tracy Truly

Mar 12, 2000
    Galena, IL
    The late Lord Frey? Did he die somehow? I missed that.

17. SurvivorFan

SurvivorFan & TiVo Loyalist

Mar 9, 2011
    is it...
    ^^ It's a nickname. I believe it was mentioned in passing last week or perhaps 2 weeks ago. IIRC he delayed sending his forces to some past climatic battle until it was too late to make a difference.

18. dandrewk

dandrewk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Marin...
    There is considerably more detail in the book about Robb's strategic artfulness regarding the battle at River Run.

I loved Catelyn's relieved reaction when she finally spotted Robb returning from battle unharmed. That scene was very well played.

19. dandrewk

dandrewk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2004
    Marin...
    Yes, this. More to the point, he'd only commit his forces to the winning side AFTER the outcome was already apparent.

20. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yes, although Martin employs a battle-avoidance strategy that the show's producers (and, more importantly, financial backers) must love him for.

For whatever reason, Martin seems to HATE writing battle scenes. So, he doesn't. Whenever there's a big battle, the viewpoint character for the chapter is either somewhere else or gets knocked out quickly (as in this episode, where Tyrian didn't see much of the battle he fought in, and Caitlyn spent Robb's battle waiting to hear what happened).

So instead of describing battle, we get characters talking about them, usually after the fact. But yes, those discussions give us a much greater appreciation for the tactics involved. In fact, if you haven't read the book I doubt you really understand much about what happened in this episode's battles, beyond who won.