Game of Thrones 5/4/2014 "First of His Name". (Spoilers, duh)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Demandred, May 4, 2014.

1. May 4, 2014 #1 of 116
    Demandred

Demandred RPSLS Champion

Mar 6, 2001
    Houston, TX, US
    Loved Margery once again. She made Cersei think it was her idea that she and Tommen marry. Maybe Cersei sees through it but maybe not.

I thought the most interesting part was Lysa telling us that Littlefinger's ordered Jon Arryn's death. Why? And why did Lysa go along with it.

Also, poor Sansa. Poor, poor Sansa. I hope something.good happens to her.

From the previews last week I expected the scene at Craster's to take up the majority of the episode, and it did. Glad Jon has Ghost back, and glad that Locke is out of the picture.

2. May 5, 2014 #2 of 116
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    That was an interesting revelation.

It seems that Petyr intended for Ned to find out about Jaime and Cersei. The question is, did they ask him to take care of Jon Arryn and he simply took advantange of that, or did he set up the whole thing to get Ned down there in order to reveal what he and others knew, but did not want to risk saying themselves?

I'm still sticking by my view that Tywin was part of the plot to kill Joffrey, but now give credit to Petyr for being much bolder than I had previously thought. If Jaime and Cersei had nothing to do with Jon Arryn's death, then Petyr has been playing a long game to undermine the authority of the Lannisters. Has he been working with the Tyrells the whole time, or are they also pawns in his game?

If Tywin was not part of the plot to kill Joffrey (or maybe even if he was), all Petyr would have to do is set things up so that people would find out about Olenna (in such a way as to not implicate him as involved or as the betrayer), and he could start a war between the Lannisters and Tyrells.

The fact that he saved Sansa might indicate that he doesn't think she will be thought guilty for long.

I think Lysa went along with the plan because she was madly in love with Petyr, literally. I'm fairly certain he has no feelings for her. But what is his plan for her?

I suppose if he could get the Lannisters, Tyrells, and Baratheons to fight each other, and convince Lysa to send men to the Freys to avenge Catelyn's death, perhaps that might open a path for him to be king. Is that his ultimate plan, to weaken all the families in Westeros to the point where the Arryns could seize the throne virtually unchallenged?

Have fun with that Petyr, as all you are doing is preparing the way for zombies and dragons.

Or does he work for the Iron Bank of Braavos, and this is Westeros' punishment for not paying their debts? :D

3. May 5, 2014 #3 of 116
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    So Cersei wants to team up with Margaery so they can manipulate Tommen together. Unfortunately for each of them, they're both smarter than the other one thinks, and they'll both think they're getting one over on the other. That can't end well.

I have no idea what Baelish's plan is, but he's clearly been working at it for a long time, and he's several steps ahead of everyone else. Lysa is just another pawn in his game of chess.

Why did Arya add The Hound's name to her list? Because he stole silver from that farmer?

Podrick may have been loyal to Tyrion, but he never really learned how to be a squire. That was pretty comical watching him try to ride a horse and cook a rabbit with the fur still on. But it appears Brienne may have use for him yet.

I was surprised at how easily Locke was killed. Seemed like they were setting up something longer term with him, and then he's just gone. What was his plan to get Bran and the others out of there without Jon and the rest of the Crows finding out?

Did Jon say that Mance Rayder's signal to the wildlings south of the wall would be a huge bonfire? As they were standing there watching Craster's Keep burn, I wondered if Ygritte and the others would mistake this fire for the signal.

4. May 5, 2014 #4 of 116
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I don't think Cersei is smarter than anyone thinks. Even when she is not letting her emotions get the better of her, she is just not very smart.

I think the Hound has been on her list since the first season, when he killed her friend Mycah.

5. May 5, 2014 #5 of 116
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    Smart may not be the right word, but she's definitely good at scheming and manipulation. And Margaery is being taught those skills by Lady Olenna, who appears to be one of the best. So they'll form an alliance, but I predict it will end badly once one or both of them realize what the other is up to.

Could be. But they've been together for months and she's been saying the names every night before sleep. Why then did he look so surprised when she said his name?

6. May 5, 2014 #6 of 116
    zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I found it very interesting that the Lannisters have not had a working gold mine for 3 years.

Always pay their debts indeed...

Poor Sansa, her aunt wants her to marry that rotten little boy.

"Thanks for the present, let me throw it out this hole in the floor" LOL

7. May 5, 2014 #7 of 116
    john4200

john4200 Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Well, it WAS a bird....fly birdy!

8. May 5, 2014 #8 of 116
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I thought that was strange as well. The Hound was always on her list. This conversation made it sound as if this was the first night they slept together!

Jaime and Cersei discussed their plot to kill Jon in the first or second episode of the show. So Now we just know who did their bidding for them (they asked Littlefinger to do it and he used Jon's wife to deliver the poison). Jaime and Cersei are still guilty of the murder, this was not a reveal that they were not guilty.

9. May 5, 2014 #9 of 116
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    Could it be that Sansa is Petyr's daughter? And that is why he has always cared for her?

Too bad Jaimie won't get to avenge his hand "taker".

Why did Lysa reveal so much to Sansa, kinda dumb. Also dumb to trust her brat to keep the secret.

10. May 5, 2014 #10 of 116
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Sansa can't catch a break. Going from one nut case's household to another with two nut cases in it. I hated her early in the series. Now I feel bad for her.

I'm surprised the Hound didn't ask Arya why he was on the list.

Tywin would make an awesome radio dj with that voice.

11. May 5, 2014 #11 of 116
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Well, he already said he was in a hurry to get to sleep... ;)

12. May 5, 2014 #12 of 116
    madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    No way Sansa is Peytr's daughter; that would mean Peytr and Catelyn had an affair... never would happen. Peytr's entire being seems formed by his bitterness that Catelyn didn't love him. And Lysa has done everything she's done because she is, as said above, utterly mad for Peytr. She's not so far gone that she doesn't realize that Peytr is all about Catelyn though, which is probably why she's so vindictive with Sansa.

I agree with this... and even when Lysa was alone with Peytr and discussing Jon Arryn's murder you can see him get really nervous and shut her up by kissing her, then telling her, basically, never say anything about that ever again. He seemed worried that she was too unbalanced to be able to keep these terrible secrets.

13. May 5, 2014 #13 of 116
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    What I love about GoT is what happened with Locke. Here is the big bad guy and you expect a long story arc with him and poof, he's gone. In any other show, this guy would have been around and scheming for a long time, escaping detection and death by a second here and there.

I'm not sure why Bran didn't use Hodor (Hodor!) to cut his ropes before letting go of his mind.

I was really hoping Bran would try to enter Locke or Karl's mind. Successful or not, I would like to know the limit of his abilities. I'm surprised Bran has not tried.

14. May 5, 2014 #14 of 116
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    So Hodor was just too stupid to break the chains on his own? It's not like Bran gave him extra strength.

That little psychotic mothersucker doesn't make much better material for Sansa's husband than Joffrey. Poor girl.

15. May 5, 2014 #15 of 116
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    Hodor

16. May 5, 2014 #16 of 116
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I'm very disappointed that the title sequence did not show the Eyrie (did I spell that right?).

They always show King's Landing, Winterfell, and The Wall...the other places are shown as needed. So why did we not see the Eyrie?

17. May 5, 2014 #17 of 116
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Petyr uses chaos to advance his position. His goals with his plans are not specific to moving every piece to a certain spot (for instance, Joffrey killing Ned was all Joffrey, but Petyr turned it to his advantage anyway) he just sets the stage for **** to go down. Then he waits and climbs the ladder, as he once said.

And remember, Varys said Petyr would see the entire kingdom burn if he could be king of the ashes. Varys is the only one who realizes how dangerous Baelish is.

18. May 5, 2014 #18 of 116
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I seem to remember that Craster's place is about 60 miles away from The Wall. It's a small place to begin with. I doubt anyone would see it from that far, or mistake it for a large enough fire that there is no mistaking it's the signal (as Mance had said).

19. May 5, 2014 #19 of 116
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    How easy/hard is it to stab an upright man through the back of the skull?

I know nothing of military tactics but it seems like it would make more sense to attack the mutineers at dawn when everybody's asleep or hung over instead of at nightfall when everybody's still awake, drunk and rapey, but awake.

20. May 5, 2014 #20 of 116
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    The only thing that makes sense to me is that this was the first time Arya felt comfortable saying the names loud enough for The Hound to hear, and thus be bothered by it.

Or, after he stole the silver, maybe she was pissed off at him enough that she said the names so he would know that he was on her list. Good thing he doesn't take her seriously as a threat, and cares more about her ransom than anything else.

Are you sure about that?

The only times I remember Jon's murder being discussed were when Ned and Catelyn received the letter from Lysa (which we now know was a lie), when Ned confronted Pycelle about the medicine he had given Jon (which we now know was benign), and when Ned told Cersei that he knew why Jon had died when he confronted her about what he had found out about Jaime.

Everything that we knew about Jon's murder until this episode was from Ned's point of view.

We know that Jaime and Cersei knew what Jon had found out. And given this episode plus the fact that Petyr was tailing Jon, it is most likely Petyr who let them know either directly or indirectly. But it's possible that they just thought they had lucked out by Jon dying when he did or they each assumed the other had taken care of it.