Game of Thrones 5/11/2014 "The Laws of Gods and Men" S04E06

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by BitbyBlit, May 12, 2014.

1. May 12, 2014 #1 of 255
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    Whether or not Tywin was involved in Joffrey's murder, he clearly took advantage of it to arrange Tyrion's departure from the family. And as icing on the cake, Jaime begged him to do something he was most likely already going to do anyway. And thus he was able to maneuver him into continuing the family line.

Very clever Tywin. But not clever enough.

For all the uncensored language on the show, Tyrion ended the episode with the biggest FU yet.

Not only did he admit to wanting Joffrey dead, while still denying killing him (and therefore raising questions as to why he would do that unless he really was innocent), but he requested trial by combat knowing that Jaime would step in for him.

So now, Tywin, either your precious boy dies or your other one walks.

In other news, it was good getting an update on Theon, although I'm confused as to where they were. Did Yara find out they were heading for Moat Cailin instead of The Dreadfort or had Ramsey not left for that yet?

It seems like Ramsey should have left for that by now, but if he was going to use Theon to help him take back Moat Cailin, then that means he hadn't yet taken it back. But if so, where was he? Some random fort controlled by a lesser lord of the North that was one of Bolton's bannermen? Some other random fort that Ramsey and his men took over by force?

2. May 12, 2014 #2 of 255
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    That lying whore!

As far as I'm concerned, Ramsay and Theon can disappear from the story and I won't care. Maybe they're important to the overall story but they're just a waste of tv time so far.

3. May 12, 2014 #3 of 255
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    This episode shoulda been titled "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned" :D

Episode 8 is titled "The Mountain and the Viper". Something tells me Tyrion chooses Oberyn and not Jaimie.

4. May 12, 2014 #4 of 255
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I don't know if Jaime COULD be chosen...he's basically a party in the trial, being a representative of the Crown...

5. May 12, 2014 #5 of 255
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Not to mention not having a sword hand he can rely on.

6. May 12, 2014 #6 of 255
    Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    That was my worry as well. I would really look forward to a battle between Jaime and that other King's guard (the one with the beard, who testified against Tyrion and who wants Jaime out of the way so he can become the leader of the King's guard).

That bearded guy has shown a lot of disdain for Jaime. Faced with the prospect of having Jaime die, I'm sure Tywin would rig the fight and the bearded guy would die (that would make me happy since I hate him!).

7. May 12, 2014 #7 of 255
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    And I was shocked....SHOCKED...that Tywin figured out a way to get Jaime to do what he wanted Jaime to do (leave the King's guard) ;)

Tywin is just fantastic.

8. May 12, 2014 #8 of 255
    Anubys

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    I recommend you put that in spoiler tags before the fury of TCF descends upon you.

9. May 12, 2014 #9 of 255
    allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    Absolutely this! That storyline really reeks!

10. May 12, 2014 #10 of 255
    astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I cut out the spoilerish part. But nonetheless, in Trial by Combat, does the accused choose his defender, or does someone have to step forward for him?

Yeah, when we realized the endgame of Tywin's maneuvers, my wife & I looked at each with one of those "ain't he a smart SOB" look. And when Tyrion trumped his father's moves with a FU of his own, one couldn't help but smile.

I can do without Reek too.

11. May 12, 2014 #11 of 255
    Bob Coxner

Bob Coxner Active Member

Dec 1, 2004
    Or it could be The Mountain vs Jaime. Let's see Tywin rig that one. :)

12. May 12, 2014 #12 of 255
    gossamer88

gossamer88 UHDTV Snob

Jul 26, 2005
    Da boogie...
    I spoilerized my prediction.

13. May 12, 2014 #13 of 255
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    My prediction is that Dinklage gets an emmy for that performance.

As I was watching the trial, I told my fiance, "Tyrion isn't going to go along with this castle black nonsense". Then Shae testified and I figured he would in order to protect her (my assumption is she was coerced, either to protect herself or to protect Tyrion).

Then I see him absolutely explode and unload on the crowd, and I know there's no way he's asking for mercy! The scene unfolded perfectly.

Now, who we he choose for his trial by combat? I'm assuming that Jaime is unavailable. Otherwise he would be the perfect choice, as Tywin would not risk the loss of both of his male heirs (Jaime would lose because of his disability, Tyrion would then be executed).

Then my mind goes through the remaining candidates, from 'good swordsmen' that we know. The Hound is a wanted man, so it's not going to be him. I don't even know where The Mountain is, but he would certainly be a formidable (though not necessarily willing) champion. I don't know the skill of the Prince from Dorne, but I don't see him sticking his neck out for a Lannister.

That leaves my prediction... Jon Snow. He would certainly kill a Lannister champion given the choice. He and Tyrion seemed to get along well at the wall ("All dwarves are bastards in their father's eye"). He has the skill. Requesting him could lead to a delaying action, allowing Tyrion to pursue some other crafty means of resolving the situation.

The other alternatives I see are Brienne and Loras, but neither seems like a fit to the situation.

14. May 12, 2014 #14 of 255
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    Is the fighter for the crown by default the captain of the king's guard? or will it be whoever Tywin appoints?

likewise can Tyrion (attempt) to select his champion? Or is it only those that volunteer for him? (I'm, go back to that time that Tyrion invoked at The Vale, where he had no one really to stand for him, so he did accept any volunteer)

15. May 12, 2014 #15 of 255
    heySkippy

heySkippy oldweakandpathetic

Jul 2, 2001
    Sarasota, FL
    Why not Bronn? He fought for Tyrion in a trial by combat once before and he's certainly a better fighter than Jamie at this point.

16. May 12, 2014 #16 of 255
    ducker

ducker New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    MA
    You wouldn't put Bron in his selection pool as well?

17. May 12, 2014 #17 of 255
    smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Bronn fights dirty, he fights to win, and he fights when he has something to gain. He might be able to take some random dude in The Vale by surprise, but I don't see him besting whomever Tywin puts up as champion. Even if he won, what would the Lannisters do to him afterward?

Also, Tywin can pay more than Tyrion can. Bronn is a sellsword. While I think he does have a bit of a soft spot and some loyalty to Tyrion, that loyalty has its limits.

I see too much downside and too little upside for Bronn.

Finally, Bronn as a champion has been done before in the series, and I don't see them repeating it verbatim.

18. May 12, 2014 #18 of 255
    Shaunnick

Shaunnick Active Member

Jul 1, 2005
    Knoxville, TN
    Cersei has accused Tyrion of murder, so she gets to choose a champion. Tyrion can ask someone to fight for him, but someone has to be willing to do it. If no one stands as Tyrion's champion, Tyrion fights for himself.

19. May 12, 2014 #19 of 255
    DUDE_NJX

DUDE_NJX Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2003
    I think too much screen time was dedicated to Bronn training Jaime for at least one of them not to be involved.

20. May 12, 2014 #20 of 255
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    For fairness, Tyrion should get to fight one of the midgets from the wedding.