Galleon Now Cannot See Netflix Queue

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Prestond, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 14
    Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008

Advertisements

I installed Galleon about 3 months ago and was able to query Netflix and see my queue but now all I get is blank page with the Netflix border and all ...just no data. I can still connect to Netflix and see Top 100 and few other generic links...but nothing that is personally specific.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? DId Netflix reconfigure their system(perhaps in anticipation of Roku viewer)?

2. Jun 5, 2008 #2 of 14
    Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Gonna bump this with statement that RSS Netflix works fine...so dont think its something maybe with Netflix. Anybody else having problem?

3. Jun 8, 2008 #3 of 14
    PierreS

PierreS New Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Woodinville, WA
    Yup, I'm having problems too. I only noticed it when I was trying to get ffmpeg working. Nothing works except for browsing. Search doesn't work either.

P

4. Jun 8, 2008 #4 of 14
    s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    yeah, Netflix changed their site html since the last galleon release. I've been too busy to work on it. That and the weather has been nice lately here in San Diego so sitting in front of the computer when I'm not at work hasn't been a priority. :cool:

David

5. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008

Advertisements

Hi Dave,

Enjoy the weather, life is too short to be sitting in front of a TV or a computer...if you can fix it at your earliest convenience that would be swell.

Thanks!!
    PrestonD

6. marcuschristie

marcuschristie New Member

Jun 18, 2008
    Dave,

I'd like to take a crack at fixing this bug. Do you have any pointers on where to start looking? My guess is that Netflix has changed their page layout and the parsing code is failing.

Thanks,

Marc

7. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    It's the XSLT templates. I already have it fixed on my local copy, but I was in the middle of rearranging stuff and the video download stuff isn't quite working now so I can't build a release. I've attached the xslt templates. You can probably just overwrite them and it will work.

David

Attached Files:

8. marcuschristie

Jun 18, 2008
    Dave,

Thanks! I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes. At first I thought, "what xslt template?", but I guess recent releases of Movie Rentals are not in sync with Sourceforge SVN (that's where I got the code this morning), because the templates and the code to use them aren't there. Just out of curiosity, do you plan on committing your code to sourceforge or otherwise making it available?

Thanks,

Marc

9. marcuschristie

Jun 18, 2008
    Dave,

That did the trick! Here's all I had to do
    1. Stopped Galleon service
    2. replaced GALEON_HOME/conf/templates/netflix.zip with the netflix.zip you attached to your post
    3. Restarted Galleon

I think the only issue I've found so far is that browsing by category doesn't work. I go to a category and just get an empty screen.

On another note, I came across a minor bug, but thought I would report it. I saw that if you add a movie to your queue that isn't out yet (e.g., "Wall-E"), Movie Rentals reports an error although if I log into Netflix it shows up on my queue in the saved items section.

Dave, if you get your latest code up on Sourceforge, let me know. I really like this Tivo app and wouldn't mind helping out with fixing bugs.

Thanks,

Marc

10. spocko

spocko Member

Feb 4, 2009
    To resurrect an old thread, the Netflix interface is no longer working even with the updated templates posted above. Has anybody tweaked the templates to get it working recently?

Also, it looks like this app was written before the advent of Netflix instant streaming. If it was updated to allow the instant queue to be manipulated, that would be very useful, moreso than the DVD queue. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

11. PaJo

PaJo New Member

Dec 17, 2001
    highspire,pa...
    I agree, it would be really nice to be able to manipulate the Netflix Instant queue. These days I use Netflix streaming more than any other source on our HD Tivo. It would be really nice if we could search the streaming titles and add them to our instant queue with the Tivo rather than get on the computer update the Netflix Instant queue.

12. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    It's more complicated than you might think. There is no way to search for just instant watch titles in either the netflix API or the netflix website itself. So one would have to download the entire title index from the API and index the watch now titles to be able to find the fraction of streamable titles. And there is a limit to how many times you can download that because the index is like 400MB so it would have to be a shared service. Then you'd have to pay for hosting/bandwidth not to mention the amount of time it would take to implement.

I've thought about doing it and charging a small amount for the app, but I'm not sure how much interest there would actually be. There really wasn't a whole lot of people using the first version.

13. Allanon

Allanon Active Member

Nov 2, 2005
    I would suggest scraping instantwatcher.com and using it's search instead of Netflix.com.

14. spocko

spocko Member

Feb 4, 2009
    I don't think it would be necessary to limit searching to instant titles. It after a search, you could just be given the option to add the title to your DVD or instant queue if available.

The instantwathcher suggestion is interesting. Looks like it would be much faster and easier to scrape than the netflix site.