Galleon - Music Server Config Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by species8472jj, Oct 13, 2011.

1. species8472jj

species8472jj Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I am new to Galleon as I was looking for a way to play my music over my Tivo (other than Tivo's music player).

I downloaded version 2.5.5 and am using windows 7.

I went through all the configurations although I am hung up on one that does not seem to be working correctly.

When I click on File --> Music Player, I get the dialog box to make my selections for "General" and "Album Art". Once I make these selcetions, I get a message...

"Could not connect to server. Check that the Galleon service is running. Make sure that the ports required in the FAQ is configured in your PC firewall software."

First, I am positive that the the service is running. Secondly, I actually turned my firewall off, and I still get this error, so I know it is not the firewall.

Finally, all the other configurations went fine (no issues). Since, this is the main reason, I downloaded this, I would appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Thank you.

2. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    That response is what the client posts when it can't reach the server. Check Task Manager to make sure the server is running. Post your logs.

3. species8472jj

species8472jj Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I checked and the service is running.

Could someone tell me how to generate the logs to post?

I am new to Galleon, so I'm not sure how to do this.

Thank you.

4. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    This is actually due to a bug in Galleon 2.5.5. See here and here for my workaround.

5. species8472jj

species8472jj Member

Dec 23, 2009
    Windracer's suggestion worked.

I do have one more question. When songs are playing, I read that I can get web images streamed while songs are playing.

I have the box checked however this is not working. Is there anything special that I need to do?

6. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hmm ... all of my MP3s have cover art so I haven't tried/used the web images feature in some time. It's very possible the API that Galleon was using (I think it was pulling images from Amazon) has changed. Not sure on that one.

7. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    The last I checked, web images was working, but lyrics retrieval was not. Any chance of getting that and the traffic report fixed?

8. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Lyrics have been broken since at least 2006 when lyrictracker went down and when s2kdave re-wrote Galleon with HD support a fix was not included.

The same goes for traffic. Galleon relied on the Yahoo Traffic API that Yahoo killed earlier this year. Someone would need to re-write the app to use a different source.

9. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Either we are talking about two different things, or else I know you are mistaken, there. I've only been using Galleon since some time in 2007, and all that time I have always been able to hit <Info> when music was playing in Galleon to see if lyrics were available for the song. I've looked up lyrics for songs ranging from Long, Cool Woman in a Black Dress by "The Hollies" to LaBamba by "Los Lobos". I've certainly done it since the time when I loaded 2.5.5. It is only more recently - just a few months ago - that I tried to bring up the lyrics for several songs and all of them failed. In fact, it was after the time that Traffic stopped working.

Note in the thread you reference in the link, s2kdave reports he DID fix the issue in 2007 by moving from lyrictracker to autolyrics.com.

Yes, I know. We spoke about that early in the year. I was hoping someone would take it on.