Galleon help needed.

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by tomthumb, Aug 8, 2007.

1. tomthumb

tomthumb New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    I've been getting a Galleon error.

the message is:
    uncaught exception: out of memory

galleon still runs fine, but at certain time I can get numerous error message boxes - ie.annoyance.

according to a galleon tip, I changed the following in the wrapper.conf file:
    # Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
    wrapper.java.initmemory=64

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
    wrapper.java.maxmemory=128

I'm running Galleon v2.3.0 (I tried 2.4 but it never worked/communicated so I reverted back)
    1.5GB of Ram
    xp sp2
    I've got a mp3 library about 200GB

Any thoughts about other configurations I can try to eliminate this error message?

2. tomthumb

tomthumb New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    bump

3. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    What are the default values? With that much memory in the system, I would at least double the values you have now.

4. tomthumb

tomthumb New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    the default is 64 for each.

5. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    What is Galleon doing/trying to do when you get the memory errors?

6. tomthumb

tomthumb New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    nothing obvious...the error messages pop up randomly. could be just one or could be multiple in a row.

btw - tried changing these values to 256, same error msgs...
    in the wrapper.conf file:
    # Initial Java Heap Size (in MB)
    wrapper.java.initmemory=64

# Maximum Java Heap Size (in MB)
    wrapper.java.maxmemory=128

7. s2kdave

s2kdave New Member

Jan 27, 2005
    I've been doing some coding on galleon updating it to HD lately and after working with the code it seems like a few places were coded without memory conservation in mind. So there is definitely room for improvement on that end. But in the mean time increasing the max heap size will give it more room to work with.

tomthumb, what app were you using at the time and what specifically were you doing at the time when you get the out of memory errors? What app do you use the most? Little hints like these are things that can give developers a place to look for memory problems.

BTW, once you start getting out of memory errors you're better off just restarting galleon because you'll keep getting them. That and performance will degrade when your heap is full so a restart will make it perform better again.

David

8. tomthumb

tomthumb New Member

Jan 23, 2002
    It's really random and happens just as often if no apps are running as it does with just a browser running.
    It's a home pc and I'm not on it very often, but when/if I leave it running overnight or for a couple hours in the evening, inevitably this out of memory error will pop up. As I said, often without another app open/running.

Should I try to bump up that memory setting even more?
    Any recomendations?

I've tried the latest version of Galleon, but I couldn't get it to communicate, but that's for another help topic...