Galleon - can it play DRM WMA files?

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by SirDracula, Aug 29, 2005.

1. SirDracula

SirDracula New Member

Nov 13, 2004

Advertisements

I subscribe to Yahoo's Unlimited music service and I have a bunch of DRM WMA files (in addition to unprotected mp3 files).

Is there a way to play these on the Tivo? I have a valid license ... It's a pain to convert them to mp3's besides the legal or moral aspect of the issue.

Thanks.

2. Re-Hash

Re-Hash Registered Loser

Aug 24, 2005
    This thread will show you how to use Winamp and Shoutcast to stream any audio playing on your PC to your TiVo. It's a bit of a hack, but easy to setup if you take the time to read through the thread. The only drawback is you have to start things at your PC then go and receive them via the TiVo, with no TiVo control over playback (pause, skip, etc.)
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=132883

3. nigebj

nigebj New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    You might find that jrivers.com's Media Center (http://www.jrmediacenter.com) does what you need - separate HMO/HME application not a Galleon component, but has the benefit of full Tivo side control. It is commercial though.

4. SirDracula

SirDracula New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    Interesting. Thanks for your replies.

5. javahmo

javahmo New Member

Aug 11, 2003

Advertisements

TiVo and therefore Galleon only supports MP3 files.

Maybe you should ask Yahoo to write a HME app so that you can listen to their music directly from their servers.

6. SirDracula

SirDracula New Member

Nov 13, 2004
    That's a good idea. I found this:

http://www.watty.com/myprograms/hmeyme.html

It's not what I'm looking for, but it's a start. It pretty much adds a remote control for my Yahoo Music, if the Tivo and the computer are in the same room, it's useful.

7. Norgoth

Norgoth New Member

Dec 3, 2003
    As far as I can tell, even with J. River, we cannot play our WMA protected music files through the tivo. The tivo simply will not accept them. Is this correct(I mean out of the box, not requiring the crack discussed above)?

Any chance the tivo can or will become a playforsure enabled device or a windows media connect type of device so I can play my Napster purchased music directly through my tivo?

8. regas14

regas14 New Member

Feb 27, 2006
    I subscribe to Virgin Digital Music with Red Pass (essentially the same as Napster-to-Go, Rhapsody-to-Go or Yahoo! Music Unlimited) where I can download as much music as I want to my computer or MP3 for a monthly fee. If I want to burn the songs to a disc I have to pay per song.

The problem is that these files are WMA and DRM protected so as far as I can tell, there is no way to play them individually on the Tivo. The only thing I have figured out is setting up a ShoutCast server which broadcasts the sound output of my computer and then my Tivo can pick it up. Unfortunately, this then appears as just one long stream on the Tivo, giving me no contol to skip tracks or even see what track/artist/album is playing.

J.River released Mediac Center 11.0 in July of 2005 and now has an upgrade to 11.1 which says it supports Play For Sure devices and Music Subscriptions. My question is whether or not this new feature is integrated with the software's support for Tivo.

Can I finally control and play my Virgin Red Pass Music through my home entertainment center networked with Tivo?

9. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Half of it would be licensing the PlaysForSure DRM, the other half would be playing WMA on the TiVo, the latter likely undoable, due to the hardware level audio decoding TiVo does, the former probalby undoable, since it may present a DRM leak enterprising hackers could take advantage of to capture the unencrypted MP3 stream.