Galleon 2.5.5 questions

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by eohrnberger, Nov 20, 2011.

1. eohrnberger

eohrnberger Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Troy, MI
    I have been using Galleon on Linux for a long time now, but there are 2 things that keep coming up that I have yet to resolve.

1. If I configure more than 4 GoBack shares after a little while, say an hour or so, all the shares disappear from the 'Now Playing' list. The only way to recover them is to shutdown and restart Galleon on the Linux server. This is a real challenge, as I'd like to have 18 shares (grouping of programs).
    2. The 'ToGo' listing of the programs that are available on the TiVos (I have 2 on the network) isn't updating. For example, right now, the newest programs on the TiVos that Galleon knows about is dated 11/3, and here we are at 11/20

In order to get past problem #1, I've loaded and configured pyTiVo, and this doesn't seem to have the share count limitation.

I like Galleon as it is also serving out Photos and Music. I especially like the Jukebox feature where the MP3s tags are indexed and organized by a wide multiple of combinations, as well as the ability to 'push' a program to the Galleon server - which doesn't appear to be available in pyTiVo (or is it?)

I can't believe that I'm the only one that's experienced these issues. I've searched the forums, but I've not found any thread that speaks to either of these. If you know of a thread, do please point it out, as I'll read it.

The server is a pretty beefy one:
    • 3 GHz 64 bit dual core Intel with 2 GB RAM and 5 TB of volume managed storage running Gentoo Linux with a 2.6.31 kernel
    • Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_20-b02)
      Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 16.3-b01, mixed mode)

Any pointers as to what to adjust to get Galleon issues resolved would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. eohrnberger

eohrnberger Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Troy, MI
    Oddest thing. The 'ToGo' listings have magically updated.

Anybody knows what event causes the update? I know that I've restarted Galleon a number of times and it didn't help get updated listing. I did re-start Galleon just this morning as well.

3. il_guru

il_guru New Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Probably not on the right thread - but I have tried to download Galleon for awhile - their surgeforge site and galleon.tv don't seem to contain any downloadable file.
    Anybody knows how to get the software?
    Also is Galleon not been maintained anymore? - is it better to use kmttg?
    thanks

4. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Galleon is being maintained but not actively developed.

Which app you use is a personal preference. As it happens, I use Galleon, pyTivo, and kmttg. Galleon does a lot more than just TTG and Go-Back. I'm using pyTivo + vidmgr for Go-Back, and mostly kmttg for TTG. I'm using Galleon for music and weather. I really like the traffic app, too, but it is broken right now.

Yeah, you're right. Something is munged at the site.

John? Windracer? Anyone know what's up on SourceForge?

5. eohrnberger

eohrnberger Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Troy, MI
    Yeah, seems like a bad link. I went to the 'files' section on this page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/galleon/files/, and you should have better luck.

6. windracer

windracer joined the 10k club

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I wouldn't bother using GoBack in Galleon as the other solutions (pyTivo, streambaby, etc.) are still being developed and handle the process a lot better.

This has been a long-standing problem for me as well. I know John made an update so that the screen will show when the data is out-of-date, but that was just a band-aid for the problem. I don't use ToGo that often, but I have a weekly cron job on my server that shuts down Galleon, clears the database (under galleon/data/galleon), and restarts it to avoid the problem as much as possible.

SourceForge is working for me (the galleon.tv domain expired). You can download the latest (i.e., circa-2009) version here.

7. jtkohl

jtkohl Member

Feb 6, 2004
    Arlington,...
    The update takes a while to process, there's a Java thread that uses a rate-limiter (IIRC) to pull the current Now Playing list off the TiVo unit and update the Galleon database. It's just plain slow.

(I know there's a rate limiter on the music indexer and photo processor, otherwise those threads would slam interactive performance on the computer.)

Anybody with Java experience and time to work on Galleon, let me know, I'll give you access to work on it!

8. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I would tend to agree. There are a couple of nice features to the Galleon Go-Back app, but they don't stack up overall to pyTivo and especially vidmgr.

OTOH, Galleon's ability to handle TTG from any TiVo in the house is unique, and it even has some features that surpass many features of kmttg. I can certainly understand someone's choosing kmttg over Galleon for certain of its features, but the choice is by no means a slam dunk. High on the list for many people may be kmttg cannot be controlled from the TiVo.

9. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Has anyone noticed that the weather app no longer works. Did the web address change?

10. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hmmm, yeah, something has changed but I'm not sure what it is.

Code:
    19:24:13,521  INFO [Acceptor] AppHost - unknown event opcode : 10
    19:24:13,627 ERROR [Thread-907] WeatherData - Could not parse weather alerts
    org.dom4j.DocumentException: Error on line 1 of document  : White spaces are required between publicId and systemId. Nested exception: White spaces are required between publicId and systemId.

If I have time I'll try and take a look at it ... going out of town for Thanksgiving so unfortunately (or thankfully? :D) I will be away from my TiVos.

11. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    I did some debugging and noticed some "invalid license error" messages in the log from weather.com. This could be the reason:

http://twcweather.com/twc40/wmws/TWC/1319140410263_155/w27076.php

It looks like The Weather Channel killed the XML interface on 11/15 and switched to a new API. It was probably Leon who originally registered for the XML license back when he wrote Galleon so the e-mail notification from weather.com was never received by anyone.

I can't even get http://portal.theweatherchannel.com to load, so I don't know if it's a pay service (the letter says "subscribe") or what. Suffice to say if it's changed significantly from the current XML feed Galleon is used to, it could be a major rewrite, or the death of the app (sort of like how Yahoo killed their APIs which affected some Galleon apps). :(

12. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    Well that just sucks

13. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ack, yeah, sure enough, you have to pay for API access now. :mad:

I guess that app is dead now too. Now I'm down to just the iTunes playlist feature. *sigh*

14. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    How much? If the price is reasonable enough, those of us who use it might be able to belly up with the cash.

15. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    The minimum subscription is $18.99/month.

There may be other free weather feeds out there (wunderground, etc.) but I'm sure it would require a re-write of the app, which I'm not up to.

16. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I would certainly be willing to cough up $10 a year for the app. Are there 22 other Galleon users out there who would be willing to chip in a similar amount?

17. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Hard to say ... it's an app that provides information most people get elsewhere (smartphones, laptops, etc.) and I don't think Galleon would be a good fit for a subscription model. Certainly not something I'm interested in taking on at this juncture ...

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Um, hang on. I just went to the weather app, and it seems to be working, except for local RADAR. What am I missing?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. windracer

Jan 3, 2003
    St. Pete, FL
    Ok, that's weird!

I'm out of town for Thanksgiving, so I tried to remote into my server at home and connect to Galleon via the TiVo Simulator but couldn't get it to work. WHen I get home this weekend I'll check it out. Maybe rumors of the weather app's death have been greatly exaggerated. :)

20. ajayabb

ajayabb Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Moorestown NJ
    That is weird. Out of the house. .....let me check my Sling Box