Gadget show reviewing TiVo v SkyHD

Discussion in 'VirginMedia TV with TiVo - UK' started by Major dude, Oct 18, 2011.

1. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Noticed a preview of a TiVo review next week at the end of this week's show.

2. VirginMediaPhil

VirginMediaPhil New Member

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Again? Didn't they already do that on Web TV?

3. Tony Hoyle

Tony Hoyle Geek

Apr 1, 2002
    Manchester
    They seem to do Cameras every 3-4 weeks.. Tivo is overdue by that calendar :p

4. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    And since it's John that is doing the review, hopefully it'll be a serious piece, rather than the endlessly contrived manic "races" that fill what used to be a good show.

5. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    I think the piece is going to be comparing TiVo with Sky+ HD. Maybe they'll test them both to destruction on an army firing range or something! :p

My prediction: Sky+ HD will win - either because it's easier for numpties to use or because Sky have more HD channels. It's what's happened with all the comparison reviews I've read, despite them supposedly being about functionality where TiVo should win hands down.

6. jonphil

jonphil New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Derbyshire, UK
    I often feel it's whoever gives them the most money who win on any tests!
    I take many reviews on the Gadget Show with a pinch of salt, I like the show but it's entertainment, not a serious gadget review.

7. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Unfortunately, you are correct.

8. Brangdon

Brangdon New Member

Feb 9, 2001
    Nottingham, UK
    If they tested a version with a working iPad/iPhone app, then TiVo will win.

9. VirginMediaPhil

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    John already did this comparison a few weeks ago on Web TV.

10. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I too think Sky+ will win because it has more channels and is very easy to use.

On the facilities side where Sky wins - there is the red button multi-screen option and also the dynamic EPG, which only a few channels use, which TiVo can not do.

For every 1 thing Sky has TiVo doesn't - TiVo has 10 things Sky doesn't have.

11. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    I'm just grateful it isn't the appalling Ortis (even though it's pronounced Otis!) doing the review. Did he originate from Blue Peter, 'cos his entire presentation style is what you'd expect if he did. No wonder Channel 4 fired him from their sports presentation.

12. VirginMediaPhil

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    He was on Short Change (Watchdog for CBBC), and presented links on CBBC One and possibly CBBC Two. Not CBBC Choice or CBBC on Choice however. I think he presented XChange as well, not sure.

13. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    That explains his presentation style. Perhaps someone should tell him he is talking to tech savvie adults now, and not 5 year olds!

14. Zaichik

Zaichik New Member

Mar 21, 2002
    Hell on Earth
    My favourite GS presenter is John Bentley because his intonation and facial expressions are so bonkers. When he was speaking French to Jason the other week, I thought he was going to explode! :)

15. John McE

John McE New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Yes, he reminds me of the bird (Eagle?) in the Muppet Show. But Suzie is still my favourite presenter by far... and I'm gay!

16. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Well that was actually quite a decent (and fair) piece. Only missed out Tivo's "undelete" function.

17. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Watch it here:
    http://fwd.channel5.com/gadget-show/videos/jon-test/skyhd-vs-virgin-media-tivo

Not the totally sky-biased review I was expecting (if you ignore the first 2 mins)
    "sky+ has been better than anything else available"
    "sky remote is better becacue we've all become familiar with it over the years"
    Also totally unaware TiVo has been around longer than 6 months.

While he does mention most tivo features, doesn't spend enough time on important stuff
    e.g. blink and you'll miss auto-recording wishlists - shown more as a search

Otherwise pretty good short review.

18. VirginMediaPhil

Nov 27, 2009
    UK
    Still don't like that new theme tune. And after they got the composer to come on the show a couple series back, too.

The cynical part of me thinks this is part of Richard Desmond's alleged "we're not paying for library music anymore" rule.

19. Major dude

Major dude Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Interesting that he used his daughter for the first time as a co-reviewer who turned out to be more impressed with TiVo than he was. I was wondering why he did that and whether there was some covert reason for it.

I still do not know why reviewers do not appreciate that TiVo is nicer to use than any other PVR.

Still 4 out of 5 is the right score for VM TiVo anyway.

Especially I was less than enamoured with VM last night becaused ironically their network failed from 19.30pm til 12.05am the following morning.

20. OzSat

OzSat Very Nice Moderator

Feb 15, 2001
    Oxfordshire, UK
    I think is houses where there are teenagers - they will account for the majority of viewing hours.