FYI - Tivo Hard Drive Image / Backup / Restore

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by TexasGrillChef, Jul 24, 2007.

1. TexasGrillChef

TexasGrillChef New Member

Sep 15, 2006

Advertisements

FYI

I obtained a program from Farstone called DriveClone 3 Pro.

This program allowed me to make an IMAGE of my Tivo S3 hard drive to keep as backup.

To test if the image actually did work for backup purposes. I took a new unformated 250gb hard drive and Imaged the drive from the Image I made from the ORIGINAL Tivo 250gb drive.

I then put the drive into the S3 and it worked without any problems.

So then I took a 750gb hard drive. Put the original image on the new 750gb and "Resized" it with the software.

I put the new 750gb into the S3 and it worked like a charm showing the full capacity.

So the software works great for backup up and creating images of the TIVO hard drive. It also allowed me to "UPSIZE" from my original HD to a larger hard drive without having to do any elaborate processing.

I used a USB to SATA connector to plug the HD's into my computer, ran the software.

Just thought you all might be interested in this little bit of information.

TexasGrillChef

2. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Very Interesting....

Now try a KICKSTART 62 of an external eSATA drive with the UPSIZED internal Drive.

I am getting ready to perform "drive ectamy: on a S3 with a 1TB Internal/1TB External.

Looking for the easiest method.

3. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I was allready using one 750gb DB35 on eSATA.

When I replaced the 250gb original drive with the second 250gb imaged drive. The eSata 750 came online, no need to kickstart 62.

When I replaced the 250gb original with the 750gb imaged drive. I did have to re-Kickstart 62 the eSATA 750.

I think that is because I chaned the size of the internal drive. Whereas when I just swapped the 250gb drive for the same size (As though the original died) I didn't haven't to kickstart 62.

I would say that if you are upgrading (Increasing) the internal drive & have eSATA connected as well. Then yes you will have to Kickstart 62.

TexasGrillChef

4. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Sounds sort of like the new alpha WinMFS from Spike2K/MFS Live.

I wonder if they wrote DriveClone3 Pro from scratch, or borrowed any code from mfstools and/or mfs-utils. Both of those tools are GPL'd, so they'd need to release source to their program if they used any code at all from either of them.

5. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007

Advertisements

Wow, Thanks TexasGrillChef. This sounds very easy. Almost too easy.

I am familar with Farstone products. I have used their VirtualDrive product in the past to image CD/DVDs to the hard drive of one of my laptops.

Here is a link to Farstone DriveClone 3 Pro: http://www.farstone.com/software/driveclone-pro.htm

Do you know if the less expensive regular Farstone DriveClone 3 will work?
    http://www.farstone.com/software/driveclone.htm

I don't own a desktop anymore and I have been looking for easy solution to upgrade my S3 to an 1TB internal and an 1TB external.

I have two 1TB Hitachi CinemaStar hard drives on order. I have been told by Hitachi that they will be available in the next couple of weeks.

I don't have access to a desktop with SATA ports. All I have are laptops. So I had been looking for a method that would allow me to upgrade my S3 using a Windows XP based laptop and USB ports w/SATA enclosures or cables.

This sounds great. Let me know if you run into any issues using the hard drives.

Thanks again TexasGrillChef. I think I will give this a try.

Mark Chiles

TiVo S3 - Soon to be 1Tb/1Tb
    Humax DRT800 - 320gb
    Replay 5500 - 320gb
    Motorola/Comcast DCT3416

6. mriechers

mriechers New Member

May 26, 2005
    Just to confirm TGC...

You used this program to clone your internal 250, expand it onto a 750, and then kickstart 62'd your existing external drive back into marriage with the internal drive, for a total of 1.5TB accessible by the S3? Did you lose the previously existing content on the external drive? (I presume so...)

But the fact that its all working is very nice. Please update this thread over time and let us know how they are holding up. Also, are both of your drive DB35s? I know you said the external one was.

7. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Just as additional side note... There may be no cost in using the Farstone software to perform the procedures suggested by TGC.

Farstone has a 30 day trial period of their software when downloaded online.

I downloaded Farstone DriveClone PRO and the trial version is fully functional. It does not appear to be hobbled in any way.

Now, If my new hard drives would just hurry up and get here....

Mark

8. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Just make sure it really worked. When the first hacks for expanding drives came out in the early days, people often found out that if they "grew" their drive with drive imaging programs, and then actually recorded programs beyond the size of the original drive, the file system would corrupt.

Hence tools like MFS tools....

So I would be a recording fool, filling it up as soon as possible to test that it really did do a valid expansion. There are lots of threads on this in the underground...

9. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    TexasGrill ... Can you keep us up to date on this? I've very interested. Just got my HD and happened to have a 500 GB drive laying here. Most likely I'll try it this weekend. I would love to use your method if it stays stable!

10. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    Weboat,

Please do try it this weekend. Since you have an extra larger SATA hard drive laying around and the Farstone software has a 30-day free trial. Go for it.

After you have clone the OEM drive to the larger drive and reinstalled it in your new HD Please do as DOCNO suggested and become a recording fool and record in excess of 25 hours of hi-def programming and see if there are any issues with going past the HD's expected 20 hours of hi-def programming.

Please keep us all in the loop.

Good Luck,

mchiles

11. WeBoat

WeBoat Member

Nov 6, 2002
    SWFL
    I don't get the cablecards until monday, but I'll go ahead and do the drive this weekend. You're right. Not that big a deal. Plus I'll need to image the original drive prior to power up anyway.....

More about Wednesday....

12. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I have been using Farstone's VirtualDrive for CD/DVD imaging since version 1. They have been a good company for me.

I do not know if the non pro version of 3 would work or not. I do know that DriveClone version 2 doesn't work. I tried that before 3 ever came out.

BTW> Version 11.5 of Virtualdrive does a great job of doing ISO images of blu-ray/HD-DVD (If you don't have the AACS encryption)

I bought a USB to SATA Cable (Includes the power) at Fry's for $19.95. It is a USB 2.0 device and works with either the 1.5 or 3gb SATA drives. So it should work with a laptop without any problem.

Let me know how it goes.

TexasGrillChef

13. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    Yes my S3 is now using 2 Seagate 750gb DB35 drives. One internal, one external.

Everything seems to be working so far. I haven't had any issues yet.

HOWEVER, I only have at most maybe 16 hours of HD progrmaning recorded so far, & No SD programing recorded.

For the record, I no longer watch any SD programing. My wife does, but she records her shows on the TimeWarner Moto box in the bedroom. I have ordered a Tivo HD to replace the Time Warner box.

If anything pops up with troubles I will let you know.

I didn't have anything on the external or internal drives when I did this "Upgrade" for fear of losing something I wanted. So I had everything watched & deleted before I did my upgrade.

Hope all goes well for you as well.

TexasGrillChef

14. mchiles

mchiles Member

Jul 13, 2007
    TGC

I too have cleared my S3 hard drive of programming in anticipation of doing the hard drive upgrade.

The proof will be if you have any issues with recording shows in excess of the 32 HD hours the S3 normally records.

Please let us all know how the S3 unit handles the recordings when you are in excess of 40-50 hours of HD recordings.

Thanks,

mchiles

15. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    I don't think you have to worry about GPL stuff here.
    I downloaded the latest trial version of DriveClone3 Pro and ran it. It didn't recognize any of my tivo drives so I can't test this.

I have a working theoy though:

Even if it knows how to parse Apple partition table, I don't think it knows about MFS.
    I think what it does is it expands the last partition size (13) and that's about it. This is very simple to do.
    When Tivo software calculates # of hours, it looks at the devlist and simply adds up total partitoins. So that explains # of reported hours. I don't think zonemaps are setup correctly so the true capacity is the original factory size of 250GB on the internal drive even though he expanded to 750GB.

I think a printout of mfsinfo or mfs_info would show us excatly that.

It's gonna take TexasGrillChef awhile to fill up1TB (250GB true internal capacity + 750GB eSATA) before he will see any problems.

16. TexasGrillChef

Sep 15, 2006
    I haven't deleted anything yet to see what will happen when I do get "loaded" up.

You maybe right. I hope not. But I am going to let it continue to record all my shows and not delete them to see what happens.

Should take me about 3 or 4 weeks to get it all filled. One help though is that I don't record anything in SD, everything is in HD., so that will help it fill up faster.

I am wondering Though, if it turns out you are correct. That my internal drive turns out to only be 250gb even though its 750gb.

Will running MFS tools correct the problem?

TexasGrillChef

17. spike2k5

spike2k5 New Member

Feb 21, 2006
    You can manually correct it using pdisk and run mfsadd but if you do that, you will get ABA partition order in the devlist and I don't think you can ever divorce your eSATA drive w/o losing all of your recordings.

18. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    MFSTools is not GPL. It was originally created by "tiger" from code and knowledge from tridge. (yes, I've been around that long.) That was one of, if not the, reason tridge closed his tivo hackers cvs server. If the source code to mfstools is "open", where the f*** is it? Tiger never gave that code to anyone.

And unless Tivo has fixed their code, their "mfsadd" can only be run once as it point blank adds the second set without looking. It blindly overwrites the second pair -- first extent, whatever. (DTivos were initialized with two pairs, but can still be extended.) There's room in the structure for 6 pairs... either from the beginning or added at one time. I have/had a modified tivo mfsadd that added the rest of the A drive and all of the B drive all at once. (it was far simpler than reverse engineering MFS.)

19. JamieP

JamieP Member

Aug 2, 2004
    Sounds like you've been out of touch for a few years. mfstools was not originally GPL'd, but it is now, as of 2004 or so, IIRC. The source is in CVS on sourceforge here.

20. cramer

cramer Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Raleigh,...
    So it is. Looks like he imported his ~7 year old tree a little over 3 years ago... and then went looking for developers.