FWIW: Tivo Tech told me tonight that M-Cards will be supported in 9.1

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by HamDoc, Sep 29, 2007.

1. HamDoc

HamDoc New Member

Sep 22, 2006

Advertisements

I have had a long day with Tivo, lol, so I haven't searched the forums to see if this has already been posted. The Tivo Tech(not the basic level tech) told me that I should be able to use 1 M card to replace my 2 S cards when I get 9.1

HamDoc

2. chsscgas

chsscgas Member

Oct 27, 2003
    Charleston, SC
    I'm assuming you have a S3 TiVo since they are already supported on the TiVo HD.

3. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
  4. HamDoc

HamDoc New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Yes, I have a series 3.

Hopefully, I won't have the problems you have had. The tech said as of 9.1 I should be able to use M cards

5. Oct 1, 2007 #5 of 26
    TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA

Advertisements

Unfortunately, the agent's statement is incorrect. 9.1 software will not allow the Series3 to use a single m-card for dual tuning.

And to answer the next question proactively, I do not have any information at this time regarding if, or when, it might be supported. :(

6. Oct 1, 2007 #6 of 26
    Revolutionary

Revolutionary Too sleepy for TV...

Dec 1, 2004
    Virginia
    Party pooper! :p

7. Oct 1, 2007 #7 of 26
    TiVoJerry

TiVoJerry Caavo employee (Ex-TiVo, '00-'16)

Jul 26, 2005
    Woodside, CA
    If I didn't now, I'd have to do it harder later. ewwww:eek:

8. Oct 3, 2007 #8 of 26
    HamDoc

HamDoc New Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Thank you for clarifying. I wonder why he told me that?

Thanks.

HamDoc

9. Oct 3, 2007 #9 of 26
    George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    Since I have a M-Card in Slot 1 of my S3 and a S-Card in Slot 2, I wonder what would happen when / if they get M-Cards working (in multi-stream mode) on the S3?

10. smcdrmtt

smcdrmtt New Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Per TivoHD info on Tivo web site, the M card will be used for both channels and the S card will not be used.

11. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Ya'll need to get that working. It'll save us a few extra bucks a month and make it that much easier to justify getting that second S3 for the bedroom.

12. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm really getting worried there is a hardware issue with supporting M-Cards on the S3. I'd have bet if it were a software thing that we'd have it by now. Especially since the TiVoHD has it from day-1. I pay extra every month for the second card.

13. rodalpho

rodalpho New Member

Sep 12, 2006
    It does seem increasingly likely that the hardware doesn't support it, yep. I can live with the extra $1.50/month, though.

14. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I forget what I pay Verizon but I think it is more like $5/mo.

15. SCSIRAID

SCSIRAID Active Member

Feb 2, 2003
    Vero Beach, FL
    2 SA M-Cards in my S3 are working great.

I hope they get single M-Card support working soon. The extra cost for the second card is about half the cost of my MSD service. Perhaps Tivo will give us a credit.... back to reality now....

16. Joybob

Joybob New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    $9 dollars here. Almost enough to get an extra premium channel.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    No, Verizon charges $2.99/mo per card.

18. TiVo Troll

TiVo Troll Registered Troll

Mar 22, 2006
    I wonder if it's reasonable to read between the lines and surmise that now that HDTiVo is up and running with very similiar functionality, S3's days are numbered. Perhaps there'll be a replacement that looks similiar to HDTiVo inside but uses an S3 style case.

TiVo would benefit from lower manufacturing costs while original S3's would gain 'cult status' and higher resale value as the only TiVo's which didn't limit the choice of eSata drives.

19. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    There probably is. I really wish that future hardware designs would allow for some sort of hardware upgradability beyond hard drives. I realize some of this has a software implication and even a warranty implication.

However wouldnt it be great to be able to upgrade your tuners to higher quality or add memory to improve guide speed without having solder.

I could see a lowend/highend model scenario. Would you guys be more willing to pay for a high end box if you knew you could upgrade parts of it like a traditional computer.

Yes Tivo will be getting in Bed with other hardware solutions like Comcast provided boxes but it would nice if one of those solutions had computer like scalability.

20. acvthree

acvthree Active Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Carrollton,...
    That would be interesting. A Tivo ordered on a bit of the Dell model. A basic or advanced model, chose the processor speed, memory size, disk drive size, number of tuners and, maybe even choices on the type of scaler. Let's just add a DVD writer for fun.

I would love that because I'm a hobbyist. I'd be willing to bet you couldn't get the price/configuration into the very low price range required for CE. Purpose built will always be cheaper.

I'd be happy if they would offer a low end CE version and a higher end hobbyist version with a faster processor, more memory and a very large disk.

Al