"Fuzz" while recording and viewing recorded program

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by UkiCrazy, Jan 10, 2006.

1. UkiCrazy

UkiCrazy New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Hi folks -
    first time poster here, as I have just joined the TiVolution.

Have been playing with the features, and setup my season pass.
    Recorded the first program last night, and watched it at the same time.
    While watching the program, there was digital/electronic fuzz and/or noise appearing on the tv.
    I first setup the recording options to use basic settings, in order to be able to have more disc space available. Shortly into the recording, the fuzz was bothersome, so I changed it to Best option. Still, I received the fuzz/static.
    What do I need to do to get rid of the "fuzz" for programs being recorded and watched at the same time?
    I have yet to watch the recorded program to compare the fuzz recorded.

My setup of components is basic:
    Cable box broadcasting digital signal to TiVo then to TV. Both cable box to tivo and tivo to TV use s-video, and audio use rca cables. Sound is not an issue, it's the video that I would like to get better.
    No splitter before the cable box, but I had one and that resulted in the cable box to tivo to tv display to be bad, not as sharp as cable box to tivo to tv without splitter prior to cable box.

Any ideas, help would be appreciated.

2. Jimboc

Jimboc New Member

Nov 7, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Unfortunately, there will always be a bit of fuzz/artifacting, due to the TiVO encoding/compressing the signal, even at Best quality, regardless of how clean the original signal is.

What you see during Live TV through the TiVO is exactly what you'll see during the recording, since Live TV is actually the same exact recording with just a slight delay.

Some people pick up on it more than others. I certainly did, and can't stand anything below Best quality for anything I record/watch. Even then, it took some getting used to. It's also more noticeable on a larger TV.

But the tradeoff is totally worth it!

3. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    A cable signal amplifier from Radio Shack can help.

4. gzamira

gzamira New Member

Dec 28, 2005
  5. UkiCrazy

UkiCrazy New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Thanks folks.
    Will give the amplifier/booster a try.
    I have heard of giving that a try, but have been reluctant to spend anymore money to get the picture to where it used to be prior to hooking up the TiVo. But if that will work, I will do it.
    thanks again.

6. JaCobyShaddix

JaCobyShaddix New Member

Dec 21, 2005
    I have a cable box and was wondering whether there would be a difference if I was to either hook this amp up before the cable input on my cable box/hook it up from the cable box output to the tivo input/ or hook it up from my tivo output to my tv input (my whole setup uses cable wire for the input/output)

7. ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    You want the amplifier as upstream as possible, so put it before the cable box.