Future transfer of lifetime service to series3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by hddude55, Apr 22, 2007.

1. hddude55

hddude55 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Phoenix

Advertisements

My brother is giving me an old series2 with lifetime service. While I don't need a second series3 now -- and I already have transferred lifetime to my current series3 -- I may want to add a second series 3 in the not too distant future. Does anyone have any "insider" info that would indicate whether or not the lifetime subscription transfer offer will occur again? I would think if/when TiVo comes out with the rumored less expensive HD box, they might want to stimulate sales using the lifetime transfer hook again...

2. ah30k

ah30k Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Anything you are going to get here is pure speculation. Companies are pretty good at rooting out folks who spill proprietary info on bulletin boards. Just ask the former Apple and Google folks who were fired.

As for pure speculation, I already bet once that lifetime would never be offered again in our lifetimes and lost.

3. hddude55

hddude55 New Member

Jan 4, 2007
    Phoenix
    I had forgotten that the first "absolute deadline" was broken, so I guess there may be some chance of it happening again.

4. MediaLivingRoom

MediaLivingRoom New Member

Dec 10, 2002
    They should offer Free Lifetime Transfer for all Series 1 and 2.

5. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002

Advertisements

I agree; at the $799 that TiVo's store still charges, they should offer a free lifetime transfer from an old unit. I'd almost say that $799 should buy you the unit with lifetime service at this point.

6. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TCS charges $600 with free shipping for a Series 3 and Buy.com $536 including shipping and trying out their Credit Card... That is best deal i could find. The $799 people keep talking about for the Series 3 is only from TiVo itself or from a place like Best Buy.

7. HDTiVo

HDTiVo Not so Senior Member

Nov 27, 2002
    No kidding. And TiVo has been running a $499 special.

8. angel35

angel35 New Member

Nov 5, 2004
    NEW YORK CITY
    Does any one know if this romored less expensive HD box is for real or jest BS.???

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I think you should study spelling some more and watch less TV.

Anyway, people have quoted from I believe the last shareholder's meeting, or possibly the quarterly results call, where the CEO stated that they're working on a lower priced HD model.

Plus, that's irrelevant to this thread.

10. osoc2

osoc2 New Member

Jul 25, 2003
    I was regretting not getting a series 3 and transferring my lifetime subscription when I came across this thread. Just for grins I called Tivo Monday night (4/23/07) to ask if they would be bringing back the promotion and the representative said that they could still do the transfer, but she couldn't guarantee how long they would continue to offer it. I ordered one from Amazon that night and had it shipped 2nd day. (Abe's of Maine was a little cheaper, but Amazon shipped faster without requiring me to play phone tag with a sales rep)

I just got off the phone with Tivo and they transferred the lifetime service with no questions asked. I agree that the $199 transfer fee is a bit crazy, but my series 1 has lasted for over six years and if the new one lasts that long then the money saved in service fees takes a big chunk out of the total cost. Besides I reeeeeely wanted one.

I called 877-367-8486 and spoke to technical support, the service activation/inquiry people didn't know what I was talking about. I love Tivo a little bit more now and I didn't think that was even possible!

11. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    Good for you. :up: I am happy to see people still getting this option. :cool:

It makes me "almost" want to pull the trigger again. If I could get MRV downloads from another TiVo S2 then I would jump on it again! None of my other TiVo's have dual tuners and since I got my S3, the dual tuner feature is great.