Future of Cablecards and Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by chelman, Mar 5, 2020.

1. Mar 5, 2020 #1 of 27
    chelman

chelman Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Southern...
    I upgraded my service with Spectrum and the old problem with Cablecard, Tuner adapter, pairing resurfaced. I took the tech about three hours to fix the mess that was probably caused by the person making the upgrade. At one point, they wanted to take the easy way out by telling me that the Tivo was broken. Techs hate Tivos, they claim everybody is streaming. I know they are trying to make me me feel guilty and outdated.
    I tried to give my daughter one of my old Tivos, just to find out that Cox doesn't support Tivos anymore. So, How many Cable companies support Tivo now? Who's to blame? Tivo or Cable Companies? Is Tivo prepared to abandon Cable cards?
    I feel stupid because I just got a Bolt (because the Mrs. loves it) and I'm afraid Spectrum is going to stop supporting Tivo. I'll welcome your insight on this issue.

2. Mar 5, 2020 #2 of 27
    trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I wouldn't doubt it if Cox actually does support Tivo. Just based on past experience on this forum and general lack of awareness of Tivo among cable employees.

Tivo is preparing a streaming only device to be released in the next month or two so they are prepared to have something for a non-cablecard future.

CAble card is doomed. But long slow death. And I'm sure the timing will be different for different cable cos.

chelman likes this.
  3. Mar 5, 2020 #3 of 27
    mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Cablecard will be here along time. All those cable company boxes use cablecard. It will be a huge shakeup once the end of CC is announced. Im sure a lot of families have internet which they check thier email and whatnot. Not everyone is gonna pay for the ability to stream HD in 4 different rooms.

4. Mar 5, 2020 #4 of 27
    mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    They do still support Tivos
    Tivo's days are definitely numbered. But every company that still uses QAM supports Tivo.
    Cable companies
    Yes. That's why they made TE4 and are releasing the Tivo Stream 4K
    Don't feel bad. Spectrum still has millions of cable card devices deployed, and cable card support is still the law of the land. Cable companies move at a glacial pace. Even though they have some supposedly streaming-only plans, they still simulcast QAM and will continue to do so for years to come.

Having said all that, I wouldn't bother with Tivo today given all the cheap streaming and clould DVR options out there.

chelman and tommiet like this.
  5. Mar 5, 2020 #5 of 27
    dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    Cox must support CC's somehow, considering it's right on their website under TV equipment options; I found it in under 10 seconds, near the bottom, but it IS there...which IS better than most other providers:
    Cox TV Equipment – DVRs, Receivers & Streaming Boxes
    Want to use your own equipment?
    If you already own a DVR or TV receiver, you can pair it with our CableCard for $2.99/mo. It's a digital cable decoder about the size of a credit card. Just make sure your device is CableCard compatible.

tim1724 and mdavej like this.
  6. Mar 5, 2020 #6 of 27
    tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    I agree.

7. Mar 5, 2020 #7 of 27
    stile99

stile99 Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2002
    It depends what the meaning of 'is' is. Or support rather.

Does Cox accept Cablecards? Grudgingly. Barely.

Does Cox 'support' them? Not even a little.

8. Mar 5, 2020 #8 of 27
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    The FCC says cable companies support CC and TA and they all officially do. And their actual level of compliance is about the same as that of highway drivers complying with speed limits. No that’s wrong, it’s actually lower because the level of enforcement is lower.

9. Mar 5, 2020 #9 of 27
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Just for the record any cable company that delivers linear channels via QAM, which is pretty much all of them still with the exception of a few test markets, are required by law to give you a CableCARD. So don't let them tell you they don't support CableCARD. If they do say "hmmm.... I'll have to see what the FCC thinks about that" and I bet they change their tune.

10. wendlan

wendlan Member

Apr 21, 2002
    Not with Cox, but you can read a recent post I made about Suddenlink after 15 years of successfully using a CableCARD with them.

In short, the reality is that the cable company's agents know less about CableCARDs than they ever did - if anything at all. Try a few agents and you might get lucky. If that doesn't work, try to cancel and when you get to the customer loyalty representative, they likely can find someone. Filing a FCC complaint will likely get a result too, but that is weeks of waiting.

I gave up and moved to YouTube TV (long thread here) on a Roku, and have been pleasantly surprised at how easy the move was. Yes, YouTube TV does not do some things as well, but others are better - so I feel like I'm to the positive.

11. powrcow

powrcow Active Member

Sep 27, 2010
    Cox does support CableCARDs - I have a TiVo with a CableCARD on Cox. It also has a tuning adapter. Both work fine but the tuning adapter needs to be power cycled about once every 2 months.

The biggest issue with Cox and CableCARDs was getting a working card. The tech that came out had 4 of them and only one worked. But they were loose in the bottom of his work bag and getting banged around so I wasn't surprised some were faulty. He also transposed the numbers from the TiVo screen to the operator several times. Honestly, his attitude made it difficult.

When I bought my second TiVo, I did the self install as detailed on TiVo's page: Cable Card. It was very easy. It took about 5 minutes on the phone and then another 20 for the TiVo, card, and tuning adapter to be completely paired and running. The number at the bottom of the page is a separate CableCARD only number for Cox.

12. SDC760

SDC760 New Member

Oct 22, 2005
    I literally just got off the phone with a Cox agent who said to me that they no longer support cablecards and I mentioned I thought that they were required by FCC and she told me that that's not true and that she would not be able to provide service to someone who required a cablecard if they called asking for it today. As a sidenote probably someone of the worst customer service interactions with Cox that I can recall in a long time.

13. southerndoc

southerndoc TiVo Fanatic TCF Club

Apr 4, 2003
    Atlanta, GA USA
    The FCC still requires that they provide CableCARDs.

14. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    She lied to you, either intentionally or out of incompetence. File an FCC complaint: FCC Complaints

15. mlsnyc

mlsnyc Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 2, 2009
    For those getting stonewalled by Spectrum and Cox, file that complaint with the FCC if you really prefer to use your TiVo and need the CC+TA. I was in the same situation as you (https://www.tivocommunity.com/community/index.php?threads/wow-spectrum-sucks.574240/#post-11901039), and based on how Spectrum was forced to respond when I filed the complaint, it's still the case that when the FCC tells them to do something, they need to do something. Spectrum obviously couldn't ignore the FCC otherwise they would've. And they obviously weren't doing it for customer satisfaction, otherwise the FCC complaint wouldn't have been necessary in the first place.

Every person I spoke with before I filed the complaint -- a couple of customer support folks, the technician who was supposed to do the installation -- made every effort to make me feel like a dinosaur using ancient technology. After I filed the FCC complaint, the company changed its tune right away. Apologetic calls from senior executives, sales managers, and dispatchers for their technicians who do the installations, all asking me what they can do to make this right, admitting their people were wrong and that's not company policy, yadda yadda yadda.

Just so you see that the complaint does go somewhere, here's a copy of their letter to the FCC saying they've complied:
    Spectrum Complaint Response.png

Epilogue: I had signed up for Spectrum since they were now committed to providing me a CC+TA with proper support and doing so would save me $25/mo. But I changed my mind and stuck with FiOS because I wasn't confident the TA and internet would be stable, based on my prior experience with Spectrum. As a matter of fact, the day before the installation there was a thread here about a TA outage in NYC that had been going on for a couple of days and didn't get resolved for close to or over a week. No thanks.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
    fcfc2 likes this.
  16. mschnebly

mschnebly Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Mesa
    Sounds like these companies are trying to force the death of cablecards. This probably works on a large percentage of customers.

chelman and wmcbrine like this.
  17. tommiet

tommiet Active Member

Oct 28, 2005
    Will take time.... In my area, the cable company still only has a 2 channel dvr. So things move slowly.
    But TIVO knows the end is coming for cable cards. The current sale may be a one last change to sell "lifetime" service for hardware that has a short life. The prices are good, but I can't justify buying a lifetime product with a short life expectation.

18. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    There's a certain amount of 'maintenance' required to prep these CableCards for circulation and I doubt there's been any newer production for a few years, so that might certainly influence the tendency for providers to attempt to convince someone to 'opt out'.

I bought a Bolt during the last sale and a Mini VOX. I maybe regret it but I thought a resale of the Bolt might likely do much better in the market vs. the Premier I used as a donor.

19. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Cox just upped the CC monthly to $3.99 in my market. My oldest CC is about 10 years old and still working fine. I have paid for that CC many time over.

20. Steve Simmons

Steve Simmons New Member

Feb 20, 2017
    April will be a year since I've had sdv channels on the particular TV with Tivo due to the Spectrum mess. Multiple techs were here six times and it went nowhere. I guess I will have to resort to the FCC complaint.