Funny thing happened to me

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by DinoT, Aug 3, 2007.

1. DinoT

DinoT New Member

May 3, 2000
    Columbia,...

Advertisements

This is semi on topic but sort of funny on how I wasted an hour of my life....It is a lesson in NEVER MAKE MULTIPLE CHANGES AT ONCE...
    I have 3 HR10-250's...one had a HD recently die. Well I decided to use one of the others to image a new HD for the failed one. I had a lot of trouble imaging the new HD. (took me a few hours to finally get it done). Well after I verified the new drive in the previously dead unit, I put the "donor" machine back together. (Note this machine is in a closet that serves a dedicated home theater) At the same time I had also decided to setup a new Logitech Harmony remote. The donor machine booted back up and everything looked good. I then started testing the remote on switching between activities. (Plax Xbox360, Watch TiVO, Watch HTPC etc...) While the tivo booted I would switch the other activities and test them out. When I thought enough time elapsed for the TiVo to boot, I switched back to it. Hmmmm no picture, just a gray screen. I walk over to the unit and notice no lights on it. I pull the power and let it boot up. Seems to be booting ok, so I switch over to the PC and mess around on the internet waiting for the TiVo to boot. When enough time elapses I switch back to TiVo, same problem. Now I am getting worried. I popped the lid, and checked all the connections. I had it jumpered as Cable Select (Which is what it was originally), but noticed the dead drive on the other TiVo was set to Master (single drive). So I set it as such and booted.....same story I switched inputs while it booted....switch back and I get nothing, no lights on the unit and no picture. I checked all the connections again and booted. After it booted, I was in the middle of updating the Harmony so I used my old remote to switch to the input. This time everything looked good. At that instant I had a Eureka moment and I was right.....The stupid Harmony remote was toggling the power to the TiVo when switching to/from it. Since it was already on, it ended up switching it off when I switched to it. !@#?@#!?
    I had to go into the software to tell it to never turn off that device. I wasn't used to no lights on the front since I never turn off any of my TiVo's.

I felt stupid and relieved at the same time.

Dino

2. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    For $20 Instantacake would have saved some time. Instead of sepending hours it would have only been minutes.
    I noticed that same thing with the Harmony a few years ago. Since then I always have the TiVos set to saty on with the Harmony remote. I manually put all mine in standby when I'm finished watching TV.

3. DinoT

DinoT New Member

May 3, 2000
    Columbia,...
    Once I used the right tool, the copy took literally5 minutes. I was trying to use mfsbackup and mfsrestore. The restore kept failing. Later I found the mfslive website, used their new cd and their interactive command generator.

Dino

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you think that is easy wait until you try the windows version, WinMFS, it's even easier since you don't have to type in the commands. Although it's only in Alpha right now, but I used it to copy and increase the capacity of my TiVoHD drive and it worked very well.