Full Metal Jousting (History Channel premiere 2/12/12)

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by RonDawg, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Feb 4, 2012 #1 of 24
    RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    While looking for info on the next season of "Top Shot" (my DVR detected an episode to air on 2/14), I came across this show to air on History on 2/12 called "Full Metal Jousting."

A few months ago, NatGeo had a series called "Knights of Mayhem", but I don't think FMJ is a copy of that. KoM seems to be more of a documentary/reality show about an existing group of guys who joust, and have worked with (and competed against) each other for some time.

FMJ seems to be a cross between that show, and Top Shot. It appears from the videos that the contestants (16, just like on Top Shot) don't have jousting experience at all, based on their comments. I guess they just compete against each other until the best jouster is left standing.

If KoM is any indication, FMJ is going to be interesting (and bloody) to say the least. I can hardly wait :D

2. Feb 4, 2012 #2 of 24
    justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'll watch. I'v caught a couple episodes in whatever previous incarnation it took. Seemed to be a bunch of moron mma-wanna-bees.

[edit] willing to take more damage than I ever did. well, other than death, I mean.

3. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I watched this today. I like it and I honestly didn't expect I would. I only watched it because my husband wanted to.

One thing I like right off is that this seems very serious. I also like that the loser is sticking around, just in case someone else can't compete later. I thought I knew a bit about jousting from reading, movies and Ren faires I've been too. But, this is actually a professional sport, which I didn't know. Some of the competitors are hoping to learn enough and get good enough to compete professionally.

I'll be watching the whole season.

4. Gregor

Gregor save the princess save the world TCF Club

Feb 18, 2002
    Looks/feels/smells like a Top Shot clone. The fake drama between the teams will start soon, I'm sure.

5. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    It IS a Top Shot clone, except that you don't "vote off" people like on Survivor. You either hit the mark and get your points, or you don't. In many ways I wish Top Shot was like this.

The host, while certainly an expert in his field, is no Colby. I thought I'd never say that I miss Colby, but he does add an air of excitement. FMJ seems a bit slow-paced and drawn out compared to Top Shot though.

6. Sadara

Sadara huh?

Sep 27, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    I do like how this host knows a LOT, and it comes across, about jousting. I think it would be worse if the host didn't know much about jousting. He's getting in there with the teams and giving points and talking with them about the sport. That is something I like, a lot!

Colby is fantastic, but I think this show does better with the host knowing something about jousting.

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    I like this better than the other jousting show about the jerk and his little world jousting thing. This seems much more professional.

8. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    This looks like another made-for-TiVo show, just like Top Shot. Just FF through all the personal drama BS and watch the training and jousting.

I don't know if there's a drinking game for this yet, but take one shot every time the host says "gridded grand guard". :D

9. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Man I'm hurting from watching this episode. Whats the diameter of a competition lance?

10. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    IIRC, in the first four passes, it's 1.125", and in the second four passes it's 1.25".

11. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    I thought that was just for the show. Why would they have varying diameters for those who do this for a career?

12. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    Oh, I thought you were asking about the competition in the show.

13. CharlieB

CharlieB Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I happened to see this only because it came on right after Pawn Stars, which I had been watching. I watched the first 15 minutes or so. Not my cup of tea - I can't relate to taking a physical beating for a competition.

I guess the ultimate show/competition of this type would be quick draw gunfights with real ammo. ;)

14. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You don't watch football or hockey either?

15. CharlieB

Mar 13, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I don't watch hockey, but that's just because I find it boring. Both football and hockey can be played without injury, and it would still be football or hockey. No points are awarded for how hard you hit your opponent.

16. Ment

Ment Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    People's...
    Thats called flag football and peewee hockey :) Fun to play but for the viewing I'll take the other.

17. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    You're watching the wrong kind of football, and the wrong kind of hockey. You may want to try rugby as well; they don't use pads or helmets :eek:

If you're talking about knocking your opponent off his horse, that seems to be more a function of technique rather than brute force. Remember how the guy who ended up losing the first match was brutally knocked off his horse in practice by a much smaller guy? He may have been a big guy,, but his opponents (both in training and in the actual competition) were more experienced in the saddle.

In the show Knights of Mayhem, points were actually deducted if your lance hits the opponent's chest outside the gridded grand guard, or especially the head.

18. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    It was only mentioned once in a graphic during the first match, but on FMJ they also deduct 5 points for head shots.

19. CharlieB

Mar 13, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    Yes, I saw that points are deducted for hits that miss the guard. That doesn't much help the guy who gets hit in the head by mistake. He may win the match on points, but still sustain a severe injury. I have no problem with people voluntarily participating in this "sport". I just have no reason to watch.

20. RonDawg

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    I suspect the reason for the points deduction is to discourage participants from aiming for anywhere but the gridded grand guard*, either in an attempt to cheat, or as a form of aggression.

*can we call it the "triple G" from now on? ;)