fubo TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Apr 11, 2017.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    So I have accessing the forum with my add blockers off and there seems to be one heck of allot of adds for what appears to be another OTT "cable replacement" broadcast streaming service called fubo TV. Doesn't appear to be all that great of a deal to me.

Is this new? Has anyone tried it?

Perhaps if they want to advertise so much on this site they should get their service on TiVo.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Never heard of it. Looks too have a pretty small collection of channels compared to PSVue. Looks like they're trying to focus mainly on sports channels.

3. Rodney

Rodney TiVo'd since 9/17/01

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    With PlayStation Vue shutting down on January 30th, 2020, I'm looking for a new OTT provider and Fubo TV seems to be the one that has the channels I want (with the exception of ESPN). I was wondering if anyone here was using it and would give their thoughts to the service.

4. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    I think I tried it a year ago. But forget the details.

The best way to know is to just do a free trial and use it for the trial period. And then report back to us. I do remember that it had BEin Sports which was a positive for me.

5. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    That's a huge exception though. If you really want ESPN why would you even consider Fubo?

6. Rodney

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    It's a matter of priority. Fubo seems to be one of the few to have NFL Network and NFL RedZone, along with TCM and other stations I want. I only watch ESPN for Monday Night Football.

That's what I intend to do. I was hoping some others could give me things to look for while I am in my trial. A week doesn't always give you enough time to test everything out.

7. Jan 1, 2020 #7 of 33
    lynncosbm

lynncosbm Member

Dec 11, 2006
    I’ve been using Fubo for a couple years now. We got it mainly because my husband is a big soccer fan and it has a good selection of that. However, I cancelled our cable service a couple months ago and am using Fubo now for most TV watching and am pretty happy with it. During the NFL season I pay an extra $8.95 per month to get NFL Red Zone and have just cancelled that now that the season is over. Works for us anyway!

8. Jan 1, 2020 #8 of 33
    Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    I tried Fubo about a year ago. The Firestick app was very slow and clunky. It took forever to scroll through the guide and tune to a channel. Hopefully that has been improved by now, but it's something to watch out for.

9. Jan 1, 2020 #9 of 33
    wml1950

wml1950 Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I have subscribed to Fubo for over one year. I have tried all of the major streaming services. Fubo is excellent. It has a wide selection of networks. The basic dvr is 30 hours. The expanded dvr, for an extra fee, is 500 hours. Commercials can be forwarded through on recorded shows. The only main network missing is ABC, which includes ESPN. Virtually all other stations are available.
    Fubo is the only main streaming service to include the Weather Channel. This is important for hurricane forecasts or other serious weather events. Tech support is very helpful. Many networks have a three day rewind. This can include watching recent local news after it has aired. The picture quality is good even with a slow internet speed of 5 Mpbs.
    I still subscribe to cable tv in addition to Fubo. I greatly appreciate how TiVo records shows and has excellent search capabilities. I use TiVo’s with cable cards and TiVos with an antenna only. I still prefer having the ability to buffer three shows while watching another. Fubo is excellent for traveling as you can easily watch any recorded show anywhere in the USA. Fubo also has limited content of 4K shows.

Rodney and lynncosbm like this.
  10. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I actually tried this recently. They have almost every channel we watch and was my top contender for cutting the cord. Biggest issue... no user profiles. Without profiles mine and my wife's stuff would get all mixed together and there would be no way to mark stuff we both watch, but separately so the second one could delete it.

It also has no "keep at most" setting and for shows that are on daily, but we don’t always watch, like the news would require active management to keep from overrunning the DVR.

11. wbrightfl

wbrightfl Member

Oct 31, 2013
    Orlando,...
    I like Fubo tv. Excellent pic quality and they carry my favorite channels. Channel guide is easy to view and overall UI is fine. A good alternative to cable and TIVO.

lynncosbm likes this.
  12. foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    54.99 for fubo to start?

f* fubo !

13. Adam C.

Adam C. Active Member

Jul 24, 2017
    Apparently they just recently removed a bunch of RSNs and other channels such as Nat Geo. Make sure you check the channel lineup carefully if you're thinking of signing up.

bam1220 likes this.
  14. bam1220

bam1220 Member

Feb 17, 2016

I was just going to post this. They removed quite a few channels. I tried Fubo last summer. I liked the channels but hated the interface. No thumbnails so it was really hard to ff'd through commercials. I was using a Samsung smart TV app as well as a Roku. Fubo has been saying for more than 7 months that they are adding thumbnails (Apparently Apple TV has them) but so far nothing. I was with them for less than 1 week because of the lack of thumbnails. With the exclusion of all the recent channels I won't be looking at them again.

15. Rodney

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    I want to thank everyone for their input. I would also like to hear what other OTT people chose instead of Fubo TV. I was hoping Fubo had a "keep at most" option, as that was one thing missing from Playstation Vue.

I'll be trying out the service later this month, but in the meantime I keep researching others.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  16. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005

Go to the YTTV thread. :) YTTV is hard to beat because of unlimited storage and tuners among other things.

17. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    It's missing some channels too though.

None of the streaming services, other than DirecTV now which costs as much as cable and has a very limited DVR, has all the major cable networks. They're all missing something.

YTTV and Fubo have the most channels, and the best DVR policies, but they're creeping up in price to where they're near cable prices too. These channel bundles are just expensive, no matter who you get them from

mschnebly likes this.
  18. saeba

saeba Active Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Atlanta...
    From my personal experience, they have a way to go. My Comcast bill for the basic Comcast Xfinity HD Preferred TV package with two cable cards was $104/month. YouTube TV is $49.99.

19. trip1eX

Apr 2, 2005
    Well I didn't say it was perfect or anything. (A poster) was just wondering what other OTT solutions people chose. And well there's a YTTV thread (in case he missed it) and imo it's hard to beat YTTV.

Hard to judge pricing against cable etc since pricing is negotiable and different in every area. IT's a YMMV. But in my case YTTV was cheaper than cable. Similar enough channels -missing a few and have a few I didn't have before. And the cheaper price is before one figures in the cost of a Tivo system...which, even if amoritized over 5 years, is $10-$15/mo at best. (price of cable packages doesn't include cable company dvr/set top box costs either generally speaking.) Cost of streaming equipment could be factored in but many of us have tvs with streaming built-in or streaming boxes already.

Channel selection is also a YMMV. Showstopper for some. Not for others. But, for example, for those not lking YTTV right now, someone in the YTTV thread link that surveys are out asking (essentially) if people are interested in getting the remaining "usual" cable channels that YTTV doesn't have in exchange for a potential price increase to ~$60/mo. The channels listed were A&E, History, Comedy Channel, Hallmark, and a few others. btw I never thought YTTV had the most channels or at least the most complete traditional selection of cable channels.

But I will say the more I use YTTV the more I like it better than cable/Tivo. Less hassle due to unlimited storage/tuners. Picture quality is better. Commercial skipping is good enough. Experience doesn't degrade if you are not on the main tv (aka on a MIni) or are out of town. No expensive equipment purchase necessary. Can cancel anytime or even pause service for up to ~6 months and keep old recordings. ...

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    mschnebly likes this.
  20. Rodney

Jan 26, 2002
    The...
    Thanks, YTTV is not on my short list because it doesn't appear to have NFL Network or NFL Redzone.
    I am now looking at Sling Blue as they have announced that they now have NFL Network, so that has moved up on my list above Fubo, mainly due to price. Man, choosing another OTT to replace Playstation Vue has turned out to be harder than I thought! :)