1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustrations with Tivo Guide (To Be Announced)

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by allen97, Nov 24, 2018.

1. allen97

allen97 New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    After frustrations in not being able to get my channel guide to work on some channels (shows "To be announced"), and repeatedly trying to contact support to get the problem resolved (with no success), I stopped using my Tivo Roamio OTA about a year ago and have been using Plex with a Plex Pass subscription.

I still have my Roamio and am wanting to take another stab at getting it working again. I've tried deleting everything and setting it up with factory settings, but I still have the problem. I also noticed that guided setup doesn't work with the largest city in my area (84790), but it does work with mine (84780). Setup finds a lot more channels than I actually receive, and I have to go through them all to find the ones that I really do receive. About 1/2 of them show "To be announced" for everything in the channel guide. I've given it plenty of time for indexing and the problem hasn't corrected itself.

I don't know what to do. I really want to use my Tivo rather than pay another year or lifetime subscription for Plex Pass, but I just can't use my Tivo when half of the guide is missing! Can anyone help me resolve this issue? Tivo Support has been useless

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Tivo service connections is where guide info comes from. After removing all the non-working channels, made Tivo connections, it just takes time for the guide to fill in. When you uncheck channels that are not working (signal) or unwanted, they are never deleted from the channels list. Press GUIDE, then A and on "Channels: " option, there is ALL, Channels I Receive, Favorites.

With "Channels I Receive," its where Tivo can choose to record, Live TV can display, etc. With "Favorites," that is what shows on Live TV (channels list with Thumbs up), although it can record from the channels in Received.

When a Tivo DVR first gets activated, or plugged in, it gets only about 3 days of guide data after its initial guided setup (initial service is only about 7 days, until its in a Tivo.com account and paid service.) Around the 4-6th Tivo service connection, it receives a software update (no guide included.) After that, connections will yield about 12 days ahead and 2 days back of guide data are retained.

You just do not really need to shove something into the closet simply because its not working for you, which does not get (software, guide) updates while unplugged.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
  3. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    the most efficient way to report tba guide issues for specific channels is using the online form:

they can be resolved as quickly as a few days.

4. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I can understand your frustration. I see you having two choices: change equipment or work on the problem. Here are some tips I have found to help others.

All channels are first determined by your zipcode. That should be enough. Reality differs. To get a list of what should work, connect the cable to your TV and perform a channel scan. Make a list of the channels, sub-channels and their call letters. Now reconnect the TiVo. Everyone (you and me) get our guide lineup and listings from a TiVo database. Yours is bad. The database is also used by tv.com and tvguide.com. Both are crappy web sites, but we can't fix that. Also, TiVo Online has its opinion of your guide. To get Online's opinion, just go to the TiVo Online entry (don't login), select guide, and enter your zipcode for 84790 (Over the air Only (Digital)). You'll see a guide that is what's in the TiVo database. With tvguide.com, your zipcode, 84780, doesn't even have a selection for OTA, so you may want to look at 84790 since it does have a database entry.

Next is to select the station you want fixed the most. Fill out the form, Report a Lineup Issue and submit it to TiVo. Give it 5 days. Also, get a Twitter account if you don't have one. Lately TiVo has been doing a good job fixing guide problems (compared to last year).

When a service connection is made your entire guide is updated. It should take about two seconds max. I get 400 channels. It takes one second for a daily download. If there is a problem with St George data, they may pay more attention to the problem.

5. allen97

allen97 New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    That's exactly the problem - The guide info never fills in, no matter how long I wait, even for about half of the channels I do receive. I do know how to uncheck channels, create favorites, and change the guide to display My Channels or Favorites instead of All Channels. That helps, but I still have "To be announced" on about half of my channels.

I had no problems with my Tivo OTA until they changed to using Rovi for guide info, and ever since then, I haven't been able to get reliable guide info. I've spent hours on the phone with support. I've used the channel lineup form, I've repeated guided setup I don't know how many times. I've tried to use different zip codes in my area (or even other areas), but the only one that I can get to work and complete the guided setup is my own (84780). I have to think that is somehow related to my problem. My software version is 20.7.4.RC42-846-6-846.

I don't want to shove it into the closet and I realize it does me no good while unplugged, but one of the main reasons for my having a DVR is to be able to set it to record programs that I want to watch that I can't watch live. When I have "To be announced" on half of my channels, it's really frustrating and just doesn't work for me.

6. allen97

allen97 New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    This has not been my experience. I've done this in the past with very little (if any) success.

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    BTW, a guide should be 100% complete within 30 minutes of a restart.

I just checked with Rabbitears. Give up. Go back to Plex. Check into other streamers.

Stations for St. George, Utah

I'll bet you never get this fixed. TiVo is useless with LP and translators. Sorry. I have the same odds of getting OTA.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018
    allen97 likes this.
  8. just4tivo

just4tivo Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    This has worked for me multiple times when CS and TS have not resolved guide problems.
    Sometimes there's a database problem that first level can not see or resolve.

When you think all is lost...

Give it a try.

allen97 likes this.
  9. allen97

allen97 New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    It does look like Tivo does have guide info for most of the channels that I show "To be announced" for. I gave it a shot and submitted a lineup issue report and will give it a few days.

I'm not sure this is going to work though. It looks like the guide data on online.tivo.com is correct. For some reason, I'm just not getting it for some of the channels I receive. My guide database appears to be corrupted. I've tried clearing Program Information & the To Do List, and even Clear and Delete Everything, but I still end up with the same "To be announced" problem.

One curious thing - one of the many times I've tried repeating guided setup, I've tried to use other zip codes in my area (84790, 84770, 84737, 84765, etc.) and I couldn't get any of them to work. What's up with that? All of those work on online.tivo.com.

10. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That sounds like the root of the problem. Online is supposed to mirror your device to the point if you power off your TiVo, Online should not work. That might be a route worth trying.

I haven't asked this before, but what software version are you running? Also, when you run GS, a question is asked to choose a country. Hit the Info key on your remote and see what software version is displayed.

Hell, why you're at it run GS for a cable feed. That can't be all TBA.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  11. unclehonkey

unclehonkey Active Member

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    Thats a piss poor thought. Sorry but I have used my Tivo in Northern MN that has translators for FOX and ABC and when I have submitted requests they got them fixed. You just have to explain it better to them.

Also the zip I use right now (Mankato, MN) has a translator farm about 25 miles away from there as Mankato just is a 1 station market (KEYC) and Tivo has the translator farm done properly (well until a week or so ago when the co-op that runs the translator farm started moving programming around on their stations as some of their stations have to drop power due to the repack).

Tivo aint gonna fix this crap on their own. It takes folks letting them know its wrong. And with the repack in full swing they just have to put in a little more overtime ;)

12. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    What stations are you picking up? Are you picking up the translators in Washington, UT (84780) or the St George stations? It looks like some stations there have translators in both.
    It sounds like the ones you show TBA probably dont have the right RF station in the database set up which is why it shows TBA

allen97 likes this.
  13. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    You're right. I should have been more diplomatic. My OTA guide indicates 40 channels. all with listing data - no TBA. I don't receive any, but that doesn't cause TBA.

My data: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id=9038b62a3f4683

I'm sure the OP has connected the antenna to the TV to list the channels received.

14. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    So I pulled my Roamio basic out and did some testing. Its unsubbed yet it still shows guide data (I'm not saying anything)

I put in zip 84790 as the OP noted and let it go through. I looked in the channel guide and saw somewhere around 200 channels listed...tons of translators.
    So I went to rabbitears and printed out the channel list for St George (the link will send you directly to the St George list)
    RabbitEars.Info

and checked the RF station for both St George and Washington, UT to see if there were mistakes. Here is what I came up with
    The St George translator K25JS (for ABC4) shows RF23 on Tivo. I do not know if that has changed yet or if its still on Rf25
    The Washington translator K47OA (KJZZ 14) shows RF47 on Tivo yet rabbitears shows its moved to RF34. (fcc site shows they moved to 34 a couple weeks ago)

So I would try and do Guided setup for 84790 and see what stations show up. You might want to print out a list on the link I posted above as that zip shows (like I say) around 200 stations...lots of translators on various stations...and in the channel list select the station as rabbitears shows it. So for ABC4 try K28EA &/Or K25JS. Like I say the two above possibly show the wrong info which you would need a lineup change. Here is screenshots of the St George & Washington channels (just the -1). Note the callsigns

IMG_20181125_144528_934.jpg IMG_20181125_144546_344.jpg

allen97 likes this.
  15. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    the issue when dealing with translators is the TV may just the "gimmick" of the station. At our lake house FOX, My and Movies are on K48IF (RF48) yet the PSIP as "FOX 9", "FOX 9+" and "Movies!" so unless his TV has an option to see RF station he wont know.

Also I pulled up a tvfool for the center of Washington, UT at 25 feet and it is VERY promising
    TV Fool
    Radar-All.png

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Using TE4, I changed my spare Roamio to 84780 OTA. After GS I had over 200 stations. The first 11 were CBS on 2-1. All have (duplicate) guide information.

17. unclehonkey

Dec 20, 2012
    The Valley...
    yup but if the RF station that the OP is picking up for a channel doesnt match thats why he is getting the TBA stuff. That is the one thing in some states where alot of the area relies on translators (Minnesota is one of them). If the RF station doesnt match up then you get wrong info or no info.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm going back to the thread title. All channels are TBA. That is wrong. I have no OTA and when I use the OP zipcode, I have 100% listings.

19. allen97

allen97 New Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Online.tivo.com does seem to mirror my device when I'm logged in (except I don't see the channels with "To be announced" at all). When I am not logged in, the TBA channels do show up with guide info.

My software version is 20.7.4.RC42-846-6-846.

20. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I'm running low on ideas. Somethings that come to mind. TBA only shows when TiVo has no data for a station. Since I have run GS for your zipcode and OTA, my Roamio has about 400 channels with listing data. I would compare the TV's channel list with the TiVo channel list. All checked channels should be the same, and the guide set to My Channels: "A" option. Did it ever work? Any M60 errors? That would mean a OnePass can not find guide data. Have you watched a Service Connection to be sure it succeeded? No success = no listings. More later.