Frozen on 'Installing Tivo Software' after 6.3

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by t76turbo, Sep 30, 2006.

1. t76turbo

t76turbo New Member

Dec 12, 2004

Advertisements

I have an Weaknees upgraded HR10-250. I just got the upgrade message last night and having not read this site at the time, didnt think there would be any issues.

I woke up this morning to find a completely blank screen. Only green light on front so assuming any uopdates were already complete I powered it down for reset.

It powered up and got to a screen that has the Tivo logo and a message that says 'Installing new software from the Tivo service. This will take a few minutes.'.

I waited with that screen for almost a hour and half.

When it didn't get anywhere I called D*. They said to reset again. We had the same message after powering up so they said hard drive was bad and would send me another one.

My question is, is there a way to get past this?????

I dont know what unit they will send me. And I hate to loose my HR10-250 and the money I spent on the upgrade plus all the shows I hadnt even watched.

Any help, suggestions, advice would be very appreciated.

2. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Similar thing happened to one of my HR10's. Had not been upgraded. Got the update, first day in fact! Unit hangs after rebooting.
    It was less than a year old, Directv sent out a replacement, at my door the day after I called them.

The rep told me that they will be keeping spare HR10's for replacements, not forcing HR20's on folks in this situation.

Hope that remains true, but worked out this time.

Now, just waiting to get the upgrade again...

3. t76turbo

t76turbo New Member

Dec 12, 2004
    Freightdog, was yours an upgraded unit? EDIT* Sorry, I missed where you said it was not upgraded.....

Did they let you keep your existing unit or do you have to send it back??

4. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Nope, not upgraded. I have since upgraded my other HR10 by replacing the drive with at 750gb.

I did have to send back the failed unit, which make sense, since they were replacing it.

Just pop it in the same packaging that the replacement came in. They also include a FedEx shipping label. Just call for pickup or drop it off at a FedEx or Kinko's kind of place.

5. t76turbo

t76turbo New Member

Dec 12, 2004

Advertisements

Thanks Freightdog.

I wish there was a way to save the programs that were on there. Seems odd that a software updgrade can cause so much havoc.

6. bluntedat420

bluntedat420 New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    SoCal
    Downloading a Knoppix boot CD and using dd_rescue on the failing drive should allow you to save your shows (if the HDD is the culprit). Unfortunately, you will need to buy an equal-capacity or larger drive for this to work. I did this with Weaknees twin 300G's earlier this year on my oldest HR10 and was able to save EVERY show (but some of the oldest shows did cause a reboot at a specific point). I "rescued" them to twin 500G's and have been okay ever since.

*knocks on wood*.

In essence:

free = replaced HR10 and lost recordings
    $$$ = same HR10 and saved recordings, even the chance to upgrade your capacity!

See the Underground for more info.