FRONTLINE: United States of Conspiracy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jul 31, 2020.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Was on conspiracy "theories", mostly focused on Alex Jones. I'd only heard of him in the past few years from a few co-workers and later in the news. Was insightful about how nutty this guy was.

I've heard some of the wild claims from conspiracy "theorists" before (e.g. "pizzagate", Sandy Hook, 9/11 and didn't realize there were others for the Oklahoma City bombing and the first WTC attack).

FRONTLINE | United States of Conspiracy | Season 2020 | Episode 16

2. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I'm sitting here watching this and it's terrifying to realize just how many idiots out there buy into this crap.

cwerdna and cheesesteak like this.
  3. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I think a good number of these people are just trolls looking for a quick laugh but the other people are just plain dangerous nuts.

4. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Just curious but why do you feel these people are dangerous?
    Also do you think that information is shared freely and that there are no secretes when it comes to ANYTHING?

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey

Advertisements

Some are just looking for attention. I think Alex Jones was one of them, until he became legitimized, first by some media outlets and them by certain people in power (watch the special, I won't go into to detail in this forum due to the political nature of the discussion).

cwerdna likes this.
  6. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Amazing as the folks feeding on these "theories", did you ever hear of the guy who attacked the pizza place in DC based on some of this stuff??????
    Referring to the stuff coming from these folks as "information" is an insult to intelligence. The really frightening thing about this "stuff" is that for every one of the believers out there, there are probably at least 2 more "closet" believers....surprised you don't know any of them.

7. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    IF "I don't like something" THEN "rationalize/conspiracize/delegitimize"

8. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    There are unfortunately a few of those nuts in my Nextdoor community.

One of them seems to truly believe that garbage. Example is a woman who referred to the Paddock Vegas massacre as a "false flag" event and Deep State. She has posts weird stuff about the appearance of clouds on a given day and chemtrails. And, not surprisingly, she was against the city (finally) adding fluoride to the water.

9. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    More like: IF "it goes against all logic" THEN "say it's crazy"

cwerdna likes this.
  10. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Regarding why I put "theory" in quotes is what I normally am thinking of the difference between hypothesis and theory in the scientific method (This is the Difference Between a Hypothesis and a Theory has an explanation of the two).

The crazy crap people come up with is barely a hypothesis and doesn't deserve the "theory" label. Maybe it should really be called something else like conspiracy fiction/idea...

11. mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    How about just plain lies to stir people up? That's basically what it all amounts to. The story about the parents from Sandy Hook whose child was killed by the shooter just sickened me. Alex Jones should be put in solitary confinement for the rest of his life for that stunt.

It seems that he started doing it just to get attention and then realized he could make a ton of money from doing it. He went totally off the rails and couldn't stop. It was like a drug to him. His wife finally got fed up and divorced him. At least one of them was sane. This guy is pretty much an in-house terrorist. He strikes fear in the hearts of citizens with his lies and makes a profit from doing it.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    cwerdna likes this.
  12. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    It’s people like you that fuel the fire when it comes to people like these. I say let it be and move on with your life. Life is to short to get angry over this kind of crap says MR Brain.:)

13. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    "Pizzagate" gunman sentenced to four years in prison - and yes, this was mentioned in Frontline. I didn't know that the gunman had done a sort of "going away" video on his drive to the pizza place.

From United States of Conspiracy - Transcript which I watched,
    At minimum, this seems pretty dangerous to me. Really? If you lost a child in senseless gun violence, you really want people harassing and stalking you, claiming that it was faked and that you're an actor?

How about the conspiracy garbage that's being floated around re: COVID-19? This I'm sure is causing unnecessary suffering and death.

There are many many other examples...

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    wmcbrine likes this.
  14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    The craziest conspiracy theory about Alex Jones is that he's actually Bill Hicks, who faked his own death and assumed this new persona.

Personally I think this idea is a terrible insult to the memory of Bill Hicks.

15. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003

cwerdna likes this.
  16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Recorded it, haven't watched it yet. I hope it shows up on the audio podcast feed (though nowadays I can get almost as fast with the quickplay backdoor).. most frontline eps seem to me to work just as well with just the audio. I've seen enough clips of him on other shows.