frontier fios raised the cost of my cablecards!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by celtic pride, Nov 30, 2017.

1. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005

Advertisements

The price of my my cablecards went up from $4.99 to $5.99 a month on frontier fios so is frontier charging the most for cable cards now? what does spectrum (charter) charge for a cable card per month?

2. DVR_Dave

DVR_Dave Well-Known Member

Apr 19, 2017
    Comcast charges $8.45 for a 2nd cable card (not in the same device). YMMV.

3. kevinyeaux

kevinyeaux New Member

Jun 17, 2014
    Just checked my most recent Charter bill... $2 for CableCard rental.

4. rjrsouthwest

rjrsouthwest Active Member

Feb 19, 2016
    Comcast in Tucson does not charge me anything for the cable card rental and gives me a credit every month of $2.50 for

"Customer-Owned Equipment -
    Adjustment -2.50 cr"

So using the Bolt with the Comcast supplied cable card results in a credit. I pay $6.95 a month for Tivo service and after the Comcast credit my net cost per month for the service on my Tivo Bolt comes to $4.45 :)

This is the breakdown from my bill as follows:

Your new charges in detail
    Bundle $49.99

Internet Plus Choice 72.95
    Includes Limited Basic, Streampix, Selected
    Premium Channel, TV Box and Performance
    Plus Internet
    Bundle Discount -22.96 cr
    Additional services and equipment $0.00
    TV
    Term Agreement Applies 0.00
    HBO 0.00
    Included in Bundle
    Other charges and credits $4.50
    Customer-Owned Equipment -
    Adjustment
    -2.50 cr
    Broadcast TV Fee 7.00
    Taxes and fees $1.30
    '
    Franchise Fee 1.23
    FCC Regulatory Fee 0.07
    New charges $55.79

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  5. Dec 1, 2017 #5 of 28
    tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017

Advertisements

That's ridiculous to charge that much.

computersteve likes this.
  6. Dec 1, 2017 #6 of 28
    celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I also thought the cost was high,I always thought once the cable companies that people had tivo minis and weren't paying extra for them would probably get you through the cable cards pricing.

7. Dec 1, 2017 #7 of 28
    tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    TWC was charging me $2.50 to rent a CableCARD until I switched over to a Spectrum TV package and it dropped to $2.

8. Dec 2, 2017 #8 of 28
    chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    That is not true, although to the customer it certainly may feel that way. There are some regional variances, but unless services are bundled or otherwise discounted, the current Comcast fee structure is as follows.

The only time that Comcast lists a fee of any kind for a CableCARD is for a second card in the same device (which is hardly ever the case anymore). That fee is usually $1.00 p.m.

HOWEVER, any CableCARD on your account beyond the first one will engender a $9.95 charge variously identified as "Additional Digital Outlet" or "Digital Service." This fee is NOT a CableCARD rental fee but rather represents the charge for service to any digital device beyond the principal one on the account. It's usually the same charge that applies to rental of a digital extender box from Comcast and so is basically an apples-to-apples cost for the customer who wants to use his own digital equipment running a Comcast-supplied CableCARD--except that the customer is also granted a $2.50 discount for using his/her own equipment ("Customer-Owned Video Equipment Credit"), resulting in a net charge of $7.45.

To my way of thinking, it boils down to a slick way of circumventing any complaints about excessive charges under the FCC's CableCARD rules. It may seem devious, but given that the customer faces the same charges (less the COE credit) when using Comcast's own devices, it reads as equitable treatment.

HerronScott likes this.
  9. Dec 2, 2017 #9 of 28
    sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I understand what you are saying and I understand how Comcast is wording things, but nobody believes Comcast cable boxes and cablecards are free and the additional outlet fee is for service which includes free equipment.

10. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Do FIOS, Frontier or Spectrum have additional fees beyond the CableCARD fee for additional outlets/TiVo's or is the CableCARD fee the only charge?

Scott

11. chiguy50

chiguy50 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm not here to defend or justify Comcast's fee structure--in fact, I was so outraged when they first imposed that $9.95 ADO fee on me back in 2012 that I started a protracted complaint process that eventually got me a one-year rebate of the ADO fee plus some free premium channels, following the conclusion of which I replaced my second TiVo Premiere with a Mini just to keep from having to pay Comcast the extra $7.45. (And I have never regretted it, especially now that I have a six-tuner Roamio Pro as the host!)

HOWEVER, before the ADO fee was introduced on my account (and even now with just the one free CableCARD I am using), I marveled at how ridiculously inexpensive it was to rent the CableCARDs given the undoubtedly considerable costs involved in purchasing, stocking, maintaining/servicing, and restocking them. Think of all the CS calls and truck-rolls Comcast incurs as a result of having to supply these cards at no or minimal cost for customers who, after all, have turned up their noses at renting the in-house digital equipment. And if you recognize that in a case such as mine, Comcast is actually PAYING me $30 per annum ($2.50 COE x 12) for the privilege of providing me with my one CableCARD, it seems downright magnanimous of them!;)

12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Verizon FiOS doesn't. You just pay the additional Cable Card fee. WHich is still $4.99. I wouldn't be surprised though if they raise it another dollar, like Frontier FiOS did.

When I first got FiOS, in 2007, the cable card fee was $2.99. And at one point I had eight cable cards from them. When I was still using my S3(OLED) boxes. Now I only have two cable cards. In Bolts.

13. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yeah the same happened to me. Same frontier raised it to $5.99 from 4.99 that I was paying for a while. Good thing my Tivo has lifetime so no other fee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    no frontier does not add any other fees beside the cable card fees,other than taxes and broadcast fees.

15. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    OMG, your cable bill went up $2.00/mo. The end of the world is nigh.

16. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    But that's how they get you, a dollar here, two dollars there. It all adds up. I know I'm paying a bunch more in fees than I used to Between the local broadcast fee that adds $3.49 here. And the local sports network fee here that adds $6.39. Then there is also a FiOS DIgital Voice Administrative fee of 99 cents. Plus the cable cards. Without the cable cards that is an extra $10.87 in fees. Which used be less than half that.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  17. Jackamus

Jackamus Member

Sep 20, 2010
    FL
    It adds up if you have more than one card. Don't be a jerk.

stile99 likes this.
  18. mahermusic

mahermusic Deadlines Amuse Me

Mar 11, 2003
    U.S.A.
    I was one of the aforementioned customers, and the charge for a 2nd cablecard in the same device was .80, at least where I lived. For the longest time, the Comcast website stated about the two cc's in one device, and the example they gave, the TiVo Series 3 OLED, was (to my knowledge), the ONLY piece of equipment which requires two cc's inserted, otherwise it won't work at all. Doesn't matter if they were both "M" or "S" cards, or one of each... it just needed two, period. (I had two single-stream cards in mine from 2007 when I first got that TiVo.)

Also, for a longest time, I wasn't charged for either cc. About two years ago, they tried to make me pay an "Additional Outlet Fee", for $8.45, or something like that. It took a LONG time, back and forth, reminding them that their OWN website even mentions that my device requires a 2nd cc, or no worky. That's when they settled on the .80 charge for the 2nd card. 1st one was free, and I received a $2.50 credit for owning my own equipment.

19. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Just FYI, you may not be using the S3 OLED anymore, but it does work with just one CableCARD, but it will function as single tuner instead of dual tuner (unless your channels are not encrypted, in which case it did function as 2-tuner at some point in the TiVo software release cycle)

20. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    I think the way it should have been structured is you should be able to buy your own CableCARD, just like you can buy your own CableModem or DVR. They can specify which brand you need and you can go out and buy one, taking the risk if they change back-ends you might end up with incompatible CableCARD.