Frontier Fios MOCA question...

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by siratfus, Aug 19, 2020.

1. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008

Advertisements

-Frontier Fios 500/500
    -Router they gave me is the ARRIS NVG468MQ
    -No Moca green light at this speed says the tech.

So I just dropped Spectrum and went back to Frontier Fios. Everything is in the exact same place in terms of all the coaxials and the ONT box in the garage. Tech guy did not change out any equipment.

But... it is not functioning like it used to. What I mainly notice is that the MOCA light is no longer GREEN on the ONT board. I ask the tech, how can we get this to be green? Because i know from prior usage, that has to be green for me to use my moca adapters upstairs. He says, "We don't. Only one data stream, the ethernet cable." I was trying to tell him how things worked before for me and Frontier Fios, but it seemed like he was looking at me like I was crazy. LOL! He actually had no interest in hooking up the coaxial from the ONT to the 4 way splitter. I did it myself to demonstrate to him how I was getting internet upstairs before. But all he wanted to do was hook up the ethernet from the ONT to the router.

He said you can get get the MOCA green, but they will have to slow down my speed. I'm getting the 500/500 speed now. Granted, before I think it was the 200/200. So can any of you confirm what he's saying? If I drop down in speed, I can then get the MOCA to work?

Until I solve this, my tivo and a lot of stuff would have to be on wifi now. Anybody here getting Fios 500/500 and green Moca light on the ONT?

Thank you for your time...

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    It is always best to try shutting everything down then bring 1 piece of equipment back up until its operational again before moving onto the next. This includes MoCa adapters among other network devices.

3. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Well, I wanted to confirm with another Fios Tech and I didn't explain to him what the tech install said. I just wanted to see if he would independently corroborate, and he did. He said moca goes up to 100, which was probably my previous service. Since I'm getting 500 package, it is "provisioned" for ethernet only. He did suggest I put a moca adapter at the ONT. But so far, it's not working. I'm getting all the proper lights on the router, including the all important BLUE GLOBE. But there is no internet.

Here's what I did so far... I hooked up ethernet from ONT to ethernet input of the moca adapter. The ONT coaxial also goes IN to the Moca adapter Network port. From the moca adapter, I coaxial OUT to the input of the 4 way splitter. So at one of the splitter lines where I'm placing my router, I put another moca adapter before the modem. So the coaxial goes into another moca adapter, then I coaxial out to the router. I also hook up the ethernet from the moca adapter to the ONT ethernet on the router. I get all the proper lights, just no internet.

Do you see anything wrong with this? Because I did get internet with this set up for just a few minutes, then it was gone. It was a glimmer of hope. LOL! Lots of restarting the router and adapteres to get that glimmer back, but to no avail. Very odd, it just never came back again.

4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Quick take ... you're confusing a MoCA WAN connection between the ONT and a FiOS gateway (previously MI-424WR or G1100) with a MoCA LAN network. In NONE of your prior setups have your TiVo boxes connected to the ONT via MoCA; they would have connected to the FiOS gateway's built-in MoCA LAN bridge.

The ONT's MoCA status LED in your older setups would have lit-up when the MoCA WAN (coax) connection between the ONT and gateway was active. However, your new setup necessitates a Gigabit Ethernet connection between the ONT and your gateway (the NVG468MQ) to achieve the advertised speeds. (Also, the NVG568MQ lacks the MoCA *WAN* functionality of the prior gateway models, so it wouldn't even be able to support a MoCA WAN connection with the ONT ... without the addition of a separate, specifically designed MoCA adapter ... the Arris MEB1100. [informational only; not recommended])

So ... with the NVG468MQ properly functioning via an Ethernet WAN connection to the ONT, what you'd want is a coax connection between the NVG468MQ and your main splitter, and with the MoCA LAN functionality on the NVG468MQ enabled. Ethernet WAN b/w the ONT and gateway; and the gateway providing the MoCA/Ethernet bridge for your LAN.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    fcfc2 likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

Out of curiosity, what model MoCA adapter?

6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    What "modem"? Do you not just have a single FiOS gateway device, the NVG468MQ? If so, scrap the extra MoCA adapters you've mentioned at the ONT and gateway location, and just connect the ONT via coax to the main splitter input. One output of the splitter should run to the coax port of the NVG468MQ, and you'd then want to confirm that MoCA is enabled on the NVG468MQ. Assuming you have the Ethernet WAN connection between the ONT and NVG468MQ, you should then be able to configure your TiVo units off the other splitter outputs as MoCA clients.

Note that since you won't be using the MoCA WAN functionality of the ONT, any MoCA WAN status light on the ONT will reflect the MoCA WAN as off. However, once a MoCA client has connected, a MoCA *LAN* status light should indicate the connection on the NVG468MQ.

edit: fixed one typo

Last edited: Aug 20, 2020
    fcfc2 likes this.
  7. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Motorola MM1000

krkaufman likes this.
  8. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Yeah, just the NVG468MQ, that's what I meant by modem. Okay, thank you, I'll give these instructions a shot tomorrow.

krkaufman likes this.
  9. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    When I connect to the coax port, should the MOCA light on the modem turn on?

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not until a MoCA client successfully connects via the NVG468MQ’s MoCA bridge:

fcfc2 likes this.
  11. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Tivo is not successfully creating the client connection. In any case, thanks for your help krkaufman, but It's not an urgent matter anymore. I was simply curious what the heck was going on, but in reality, I had already decided to give my tivo equipment a rest. I only got the Fios 500/500, no TV. Gonna go youtube tv for a while.

It would be nice to be able to use my moca adapters, but I really want to get as much of that 500 mbps as possible, so instead of asking them to "provision" moca, I'm gonna try and figure out how to run some looooooooong ethernet cables in the walls.

12. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    If you’re having issues, step one is to keep it simple.

If you have the NVG468MQ properly operating with its Ethernet WAN connection, and you’re getting your spec’d rates testing via a device connected to one of the gateway’s Ethernet switch ports, you can setup and verify MoCA connectivity very simply: just connect one of your MoCA adapters via coax directly to the gateway’s coax port (gateway coax to MM1000 “Network” port).

fcfc2 likes this.
  13. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    So we're no longer dealing with the coaxial lines in the wall, right? Just a direct connect from gateway modem to network port of the moca adapter? For the second moca in a different room.. how do we connect that?

14. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Correct.

Sorry, I see I left the word “test” out of my post.

The direct-connect setup described is merely to test/verify MoCA connectivity between the new NVG468MQ and one of your MM1000 adapters — primarily to confirm that the gateway is configured and operating correctly. Aside from establishing the MoCA connection, you’d ideally also have some device that would allow you to test connectivity/throughput via the MM1000’s Ethernet port.

Once you’ve verified this basic, simple connection successfully, then you can reconnect the NVG468MQ coax as needed for regular operation (coax to wall outlet, connected to output of main splitter), confident the gateway is ready to make a connection, and familiar with its status LEDs when a successful connection is present.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    fcfc2 likes this.
  15. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    While I have you... on a slight tangent here. I have a Gateway G1100. I believe I have it up and running as an extender, but I'm kinda unsure how I got it to work.

I first plugged an ethernet from the G1100 to my a computer that's currently on the NVG468MQ network. I did ipconfig on CMD to find the address of the G1100. I went to the admin of the G1100, but I couldn't find any easy settings for bridge, extender, repeater, etc. I did find DHCP setting and I disabled it.

I then unplugged it from my PC and I went to plug it into an ethernet port of the NVG468MQ. Low and behold, I see it pop up in the SSID and I was able to log on and I'm online with the G1100. Is it that simple? Or, am I going to cause disruption down the road? Also, why can't I get to the G1100 admin anymore when it's unplugged from my PC? I also don't see the G1100 listed in the NVG468MQ either.

16. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Did the explanation Re: the direct-connect test setup make sense?

17. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You probably neglected to reconfigure the LAN IP of the G1100 to an available (non-conflicting) address within the subnet established by the new NVG468MQ gateway.

edit: You’re looking to do something similar to what’s described in the following thread: Re: Using FIOS Quantum Gateway as an extender - Verizon Fios Community

edit2: another similar sitch: Solved: Trying to bridge / repeater of 2 Quantum G1100 routers. - Verizon Fios Community

edit3: ... though I’d recommend getting the NVG468MQ MoCA setup working before tackling adding the G1100 as a wireless extender, since you may want to leverage MoCA connectivity for G1100 placement (if Ethernet connectivity isn’t possible).

fcfc2 likes this.
  18. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    I believe so.. hmm, to be completely honest, still a little foggy. LOL! So I started this thread because Frontier says my service is ONLY "provisioned" for ethernet. So the Moca adapters no longer work. My understanding is that you confirm what Frontier is telling me, right? Your advice is simply to help me connect Tivo as a moca client to the Gateway, right? I still cannot use moca adapters to bring ethernet to other rooms without Tivo, right?

19. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Not at all correct. Once you have the NVG468MQ properly setup, your MoCA adapters and TiVo boxes should all work exactly as before. (That your gateway is now WAN-connected via Ethernet rather than coax/MoCA is irrelevant to your MoCA LAN connectivity.)

The first step is to ensure that you have the NVG468MQ properly configured as a MoCA bridge, which is what the above direct-connect test setup is intended to facilitate/confirm.

edit: p.s.
    Again, to be clear, Frontier is strictly referring to your WAN connection between the ONT and gateway, not your MoCA LAN setup.

siratfus and fcfc2 like this.
  20. siratfus

siratfus Active Member

Oct 3, 2008
    To add to my confusion was this... I had the ONT coax going into the main splitter. I did as you said yesterday and connected one of the splitter lines directly into the Gateway. But in my Master where I installed the moca adapter... that line was not on the splitter. I forgotten that I had separated that line to be the only SPECTRUM line. It feeds the cable into my Tivo. I did that because my services are over-lapping since Spectrum won't pro-rate when you leave. But I do have a little short term memory issue in recent years. LOL! My moca adapters are working as it should and I'm getting close to the 500 mbps.

Looking back now, I think I confused the Fios guy with the "green light" at the ONT comment. I just assumed that it should have been green. Because how else have my moca adapters been working all these years? LOL! That probably through him for a loop, and so he didn't know to advise me the way you have been doing. He thought I was jonesing for some Moca Wan connection, when all I wanted was exactly what you've instructed me to do.. moca lan network.

Okay now, for further education... Moca Wan would allow for internet via coaxial without moca adapters, right? But that would bring speeds down to 100 mbps?

Thank you so much again! :praying:

krkaufman likes this.