Frontier FIOS Frustration

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by James Murray, Mar 3, 2019.

1. Mar 3, 2019 #1 of 29
    James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I recently switch from Spectrum to Frontier FIOS. Despite some of the usual confusion, I did get my Roamio up and running with cablecard. However, I quickly discovered I was missing a few important channels. No problem. I'm OK with paying a little more to get what I want. The CSR tells me that they only support cablecard for the basic "Custom Essentials" plan. Upgrading to the "Prime HD" package requires their DVR. I am pretty sure this isn't true. Can anyone confirm? What are my next, steps?

2. Mar 3, 2019 #2 of 29
    coalponfire

coalponfire New Member

Sep 2, 2015
    What a shite thing to do to ones customers. I feel for you, this sucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Mar 3, 2019 #3 of 29
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  4. Mar 3, 2019 #4 of 29
    rpj22

rpj22 Active Member

Mar 26, 2016
    SoCal
    In Southern California, I have "Ultimate HD", and it works fine with my TiVos.

krkaufman likes this.
  5. Mar 3, 2019 #5 of 29
    James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    @rpj22: That's exactly what I needed to know. I am also in Southern California. I'll have that handy when I talk to the CSR tomorrow.
    @krkaufman: Thanks for the link. If things go badly tomorrow, I will use it.

krkaufman likes this.
  6. Mar 3, 2019 #6 of 29
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I have prime plan in Florida with 2 cable cards...at various times you will get different versions of the same bs. You might want to try the Direct forum, many fewer idiots. Or just file the FCC complaint, you will hear in a day or two from someone on the "executive" team saying sorry, of course you can use your cable card with that plan. Have you checked the Tivo cable card pairing trouble shooter to be certain your cable card is paired at all. An unpaired card can sometimes just show the lower 2-50 channels. https://support.tivo.com/articles/Troubleshooting/CableCARD-Troubleshooting

7. Mar 4, 2019 #7 of 29
    David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    I have Frontier FiOS in Portland with CableCARDs and one of the higher-end HD packages; can't remember which one.

8. Mar 4, 2019 #8 of 29
    jefny

jefny Member

Feb 13, 2008
    I have had FIOS with the Extreme package for years and I got everything through my cable card. In fact I just got a second Bolt and the pairing with a second cablecard (an old M card from my Tivo HD) was done in less than 5 minutes. The tech said she has one or two cable card pairings a week. As some one else stated above, without activation, the cable card gives you the basic channels but afterwards I got everything.

JohnF

9. Mar 4, 2019 #9 of 29
    rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Yep, Prime here in Long Beach with a cable card. I was just checking out their site and it looks like there is some enhanced package that uses their DVR, sut I assume that has something to do with On Demand and sharing between their DVRs.

10. James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Update: Frontier can indeed upgrade my service to the Prime HD package with my cablecard. However, they refuse to remove the DVR from my bill. They claim they require the $11/month DVR charge, even if I'm not using it. I will be filing an FCC complaint.

HerronScott, fcfc2 and krkaufman like this.
  11. James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    @krkaufman thanks for the FCC link. Complaint filed. Based on my research, Frontier's pricing is a clear violation of FCC Rule 76.1205(b)(5), which states "Pay only for equipment you have. Your operator must give you a discount on any packages that include the price of a set-top box if you choose to use your own CableCARD-enabled device."

krkaufman likes this.
  12. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I did some switching back and forth from Frontier FIOS and Spectrum, and finally back to Frontier again because Spectrum sucks worse.

I couldn’t get across to the order taker that I didn’t need their DVR because I had a TiVo with a cable card. She couldn’t process that idea at all. She couldn’t understand how you can have TV without their box/DVR. Finally because the package price with initial discount was less than I was paying, I said fine whatever. Give me your DVR.

Installers later told me that the order takers can’t even assign a package without a DVR, even if you’re using a cable card. It seems like they may be hard limited by their own system?

I have every channel they offer, and it all works fine with my TiVo.

13. James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    Fellow CableCARD warriors, I have a victory to announce! After two hours on the phone yesterday, another hour today, ending in an argument, and finally a hour on hold, followed by a (finally) friendly CSR willing to help, I did get the DVR removed from my account and bill. Even with the friendly CSR, I did have to correct him and state the law.

For reference, a cached version of the FCC's "CableCARD: Know Your Rights" page (since removed by the FCC?) is available here:
    CableCARD: Know Your Rights
    and the actual text of the law the "know your rights" page summarizes is here:
    47 CFR § 76.1205 - CableCARD support.

I hope this information is helpful to some of you, and thanks again to those of you who pointed me in the right direction!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2019
  14. jcondon

jcondon Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2003
    Could you have just returned the box to a local Frontier store after the fact? Glad you got it sorted out. Luckily Verizon Fios and Cablevision don't try to pull you need our crappy box here (NY).

15. James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I could not, as I never had one. Plus, with any changes I wanted to make to my TV plan, the CSR would insist I needed to have a DVR because "it's part of the package".

jcondon likes this.
  16. James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I just received a response from the FCC regarding the complaint I filed. They have contacted Frontier and I am told I should expect someone from Frontier to contact me soon to resolve the issue. I'll keep you all posted.

krkaufman likes this.
  17. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Its been a nightmare recently with frontier fios for me,about a week ago i added hbo and 75/75 internet speed for the offer of $5.00 a month each.but i already have my G1100 verizon router that i bought from verizon before they sold out to frontier. well frontier sent me a new router which i NEVER ORDERED! I sent it back but frontier has sent me 2 more routers saying i need it to get 75/75 speed well i cancelled the speed upgrade and went back down to 50/50 ,and now frontier says I have to pay $10.00 a month for my router,even if i own my own router! god i wish i could get ota where i live! i just hate this crap as my only other cable option is spectrum. and i dont even want the internet i only have it because my kids need it. Does anyone here pay a monthly fee for a router they bought and own?

18. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It seems erroneous that the G1100 couldn’t support 75/75 or that you have to pay to use your own router.

19. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    Unfortunately, the charge of $10 per month router rent applies or will soon apply to all of Frontier's accounts. It doesn't matter if you even have one of their routers in the home or ever had one of their routers you will be charged the same. Almost any change of any type on your account will trigger the $10 fee, but what they have started to do is automatically send you one if one is not already on your account. You can return it, but you will continue to be charged $10 a month anyway. It will definitely show up, when any promotion expires but may also show up for no good reason at all.
    I think Frontier's automatically sending out the routers to try and tamp down or justify the $10 charge. Apparently if you read Frontier's fine print, basically, they reserve the right to pretty much do whatever they want including with currently advertised promotions. Oh, for the Tivo only folks, check your bills and do not be surprised if you find an $11 DVR charge even if you never had one of their units, you will often see this even if you successfully argued to get a price jump/promotion deal expired. Apparently, the CSR's cannot even process an order without adding one of these boxes to the account and getting it off again is apparently beyond the ability of the average CSR or supervisor.
    I found one of these box charges about 2 months ago and in order to "fix" the issue, they sent me not one, but 2 boxes, plus of their newest router's the ARRIS MVG468MQ. Then after promising to send a return shipping box...I foolishly waited a few weeks until I finally smartened up and called again. The 2 boxes and the router should arrive back with Frontier in a day or so but I am not anticipating that this will resolve my billing issues completely.
    Frontier for a variety of reasons, mostly stupidity and incompetence has been shedding customers and initially they attempted to compete via prices in areas where competition existed only, they have now changed that policy, and now it is basically their way or the highway. I don't know if they just figured they were heading for bankruptcy anyway so who cares when they get there. Frontier practices are not consumer friendly and if it were not for their symmetrical speeds, I would switch, I am lucky because I have 2 other options, but this is a rare situation.

krkaufman likes this.
  20. James Murray

James Murray New Member

Mar 3, 2019
    I ran into these exact problems, and the issue with the automatic DVR addition was the subject of my FCC complaint. It is against the law. Unfortunately, there is no protection against them requiring that you pay for their modem. However, FCC regulations do protect you from having to pay for the DVR if you use CableCARD. A CSR *can* remove the charge manually. They are just told they are not supposed to do so.