Frontier Fios Cable Cards Support

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by pacor, Oct 17, 2019.

1. pacor

pacor Member

Dec 26, 2001
    Lewisville, TX
    It has been a long time since I have been in this forum. I was on the phone with Frontier Fios asking about a TV offer they have. When I asked about cable cards I was told they don't offer/support those anymore. That didn't sound correct to me so I chatted with TIVO support and was told that was correct. I could use the TIVO for streaming. I can stream from a number of devices that do not require a subscription just for the device. Wanted to double check here if all this is correct and if anybody else had has a similar experience. I have been under the impression since I have had TIVO for the past 15+ years that cable card support was a federal requirement and was the basis of TIVO.
    Don't see the point of having a TIVO unless you want to use it for OTA only. I don't see why paying a TIVO subscription for that.

2. rbronco21

rbronco21 Member

Nov 1, 2005
    I have two Frontier FIOS cable cards, so they haven't turned them off. I got the last one a few months ago. I haven't heard anything about not sending out new ones, though. I'm in California and I don't know if there are any differences by region.

3. the_scotsman

the_scotsman Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Dallas TX
    I have had FIOS cable cards since I had the service starting with Verizon. I added a new Bolt to my setup in August and therefore needed an additional CC. The regular Frontier rep could not give me an additional CC and had to transfer me to the retention guru. It did require a tech visit (don't know why) but that was free and I ended up getting 2 CCs as he had a spare with him.

4. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    fcfc2 likes this.
  5. disturbedfred

disturbedfred atmuscarelli Dooshbaggins

Oct 2, 2004
    Venice, FL
    Back in January I re-enlisted with the cable hordes on Frontier FIOS and was told the very same thing. Some wise gentleman in this forum recommended that I contact the FCC over the matter. Within two days a compliance officer at Frontier called me on my cell and apologized for the misinformation I was given. The CC is not dead, no matter what customer service wants you to believe.

kpeters59 likes this.
  6. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    As other distinguished members of this forum will tell you, cablecard support is mandatory for a cable company. If all their video offerings are data or internet based they don't have to supply cablecards. That FCC complaint will get you an answer much quicker than Tivo's and frontier's people.

7. fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    This is a common BS issue with Frontier, the only way to get it quickly resolved is to file the recommended FCC complaint. The front line CSR's are given this pure and utter lie to hand out and hope that folks will just believe them and drop it....apparently this works often enough to make it worth Frontier's deception. The guy or gal who calls you from Frontier will be extremely apologetic and get you taken care of but there is nothing done to change the purposeful misinformation. They are low on the ethical scale.

8. gary.buhrmaster

gary.buhrmaster Active Member

Nov 5, 2015
    Technically it is only mandatory for support of Linear QAM content (not cable providers in general), as those with IPTV only channels (mostly a Comcast issue at this point) are learning. And while that requirement for support of CableCARD for linear QAM content still exists for now, it does expire in a few more years (and while many providers may continue to support it, they will not be required to do so).

Frontier FiOS, on the other hand, being Verizon FiOS with a new paint job, is linear QAM (Verizon, at one point, had a beta with pure IPTV, but they canceled that particular beta, and reverted to linear QAM for now).

9. tim_m

tim_m Active Member

Mar 8, 2017
    As others said, you are being lied to. I have frontier since May and got a cc installed along with my service by the tech.

10. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I can understand that nonsense coming from Frontier, but TiVo?! Crazy.

Currently they're offering YouTube TV as a package deal with Fios Internet, so it looks like they might go that way if/when they shut down QAM.