Frontier FiOS 50% Rate Increase!

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by richsadams, Jan 5, 2011.

1. Jan 5, 2011 #1 of 111
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    When those of us in the Northwest and Indiana received news that Frontier was going to take over Verizon's FiOS service in our areas we were nervous but approached it with a somewhat open mind. We were told (by both companies) "Nothing will change. Same great service, same programming, same pricing."

We were instantly rewarded with copy protection (which ruined TiVo MRV), outages, glitches and a continual reduction of channel selection. Calls and letters to Frontier and our local "consumer protection agencies" fell on deaf ears. And now this...

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ht...2013840979_big_increase_in_fios_tv_rates.html

And here's the kicker...

http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2011/01/frontier_plans_massive_fios_ca.html

Are you kidding me?!

It's barely been six months. Disgusting. For those of you in Indiana...hold onto your wallets. For those of you that have Verizon FiOS, enjoy it and pray Frontier never ever comes to your neck of the woods.

I have Netflix and Hulu Plus accounts now and a new Apple TV2 that works brilliantly. I just received a Weingard antenna I ordered from Amazon that works perfectly with our TiVo's that's going to take up residence in our attic. When our "price protected" year is up with Frontier I'm done. :mad:

Oh, and for your enjoyment, here's an earlier interview with Frontier's CEO Maggie Wilderotter just after she took the FiOS reigns. The title of the article from September 8th? "Frontier CEO pledges better service, stable pricing"

http://blog.oregonlive.com/siliconforest/2010/09/frontier_ceo_pledges_better_se.html

For anyone wanting to voice their opinion:

Maggie Wilderotter, CEO and President
    Frontier Communications Corporation
    3 High Ridge Park
    Stamford, CT 06905-1290
    Phone: 203-614-5600
    maggie.wilderotter@frontiercorp.com

Steve Crosby
    SVP, Government and Regulatory Affairs
    steven.crosby@frontiercorp.com

2. Jan 5, 2011 #2 of 111
    Sean D.

Sean D. New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    That sucks. :thumbsdown:

Many of the current Frontier subscribers (who didn't lock in their cable service price protection for this year)...are going to be in for a rude awakening.

When a company usually says "Nothing will change..."

That a pretty good sign that things ARE about change. (and take a turn for the worst!) :(

3. Jan 5, 2011 #3 of 111
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Sounds like Frontier just doesn't want to be in the FIOS TV business.

We never had FIOS in my area, bur our Verizon POTS recently became Frontier. The (ridiculous to begin with) rates have stayed the same, but I hear we can switch to another POTS company and save at least $5/mo just on bare minimum service. Maybe Frontier doesn't want to be in the POTS business either.

TiVo users are like feathers being blown around at the whim of the winds. Just count yourself lucky if you happen to be going in a direction you like. I don't see a viable long-term existence for TiVo products that we now have. Being in a niche market with no consumer clout is a losing proposition.

It will all work out in the long run since there is a huge demand for video programming when the consumer wants it, not when it's broadcast. What role TiVo will play is a good question. The only unique value they have is their software features (suggestions, search, etc.) but that edge isn't going to last forever.

4. Jan 5, 2011 #4 of 111
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    As someone on Frontier FiOS, I'm pissed off by the huge rate increase too, along w/the CP debacle.

Once, my rate guarantee is up, unless Comcrap is equally priced or more, I'm likely going to drop FiOS and switch to Comcrap. :(

DirecTV isn't an option anymore as I'm at a place w/no line of sight. It was near impossible for me to find an open apartment that met my requirements that also had line of sight to D*. :(

5. Jan 5, 2011 #5 of 111
    stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    Sorry for the ignorance, but why is Verizon selling off pieces of their FIOS business? I thought this was a key driver for their business?

6. Jan 5, 2011 #6 of 111
    eaglestvo

eaglestvo Member

Dec 27, 2008
    I cut Fios cable about 6 weeks ago. We get very good OTA coverage in Northern Virginia, and we watch lots of Netflix. I was paying about $130 for Fios. Just the boxes were $36/month.

7. Jan 5, 2011 #7 of 111
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have no actual knowledge but my guess is they are going to use the money they received to up their stack in 4G wireless. I also remember reading something about most of what they sold to Frontier was in Rural Areas but can not really remember what they said about that.

Thanks,

8. Jan 5, 2011 #8 of 111
    CraigK

CraigK (unspecified)

Jun 9, 2006
    North of...
    It's mostly rural areas that Verizon sold to Frontier.

In some cases (like Washington) it's includes all their holdings in the state. Verizon acquired these when they bought General Telephone years ago. It's not all rural customers in Washingon, but several cities surrounding, but not including Seattle.

9. Jan 5, 2011 #9 of 111
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Verizon had already (before the Frontier deal) announced they were halting plans for future FIOS rollouts. This was concurrent with the "recession" but the exact logic isn't certain AFAIK. If it was based on a strategic decision to concentrate on internet-based services, it would make sense to me -- I think that's the way things are heading.

One thing for sure: TiVo consumers are a miniscule consideration in any video delivery strategic considerations.

10. Jan 5, 2011 #10 of 111
    jtrain

jtrain New Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Beaverton, OR
    I dropped FiOS in November 2009 and went OTA HD all the way on my S3 and THD (which i've since replaced with a 2nd S3; just like the look/feel better than the THD for some reason and didn't feel the need to spring for a Premier as my secondary TiVo).

I use Comcast for internet/phone and although the promotional rate has since gone away, it's been fine. I do miss the speed at times of FiOS, but its definitely not unbearable.

There are times i want to go back to cable, but I just can't justify paying such an exorbitant amount for the "few" channels i'd like to have back (mainly ESPN, FSNW and CSNNW), let alone the time I'm saving by not plopping down and scrolling through hundreds of channels to 'find' something to watch. Thankfully we have great friends who've invited us over for the BCS game next Monday (they knowing that we don't have cable)! Also, as a parent, I found i'm reading with my kids more, and spending more 'quality' time with them in the evenings (not in front of the tv together), which to each their own on that one, but its definitely time you can't get back as they grow so quickly.

Needless to say, i was just a tad nervous when i hosted a large SB party last February and was only leaning on my homemade OTA HD antenna, but it came off without a hitch and I haven't looked back. Most of my primary recording (Season Passes, etc.) resided on the main networks anyway and it's not too hard to find cable shows, either thru Netflix, Amazon, or Hulu...let alone live sporting events on the web as well.

That's just my 0.02 cents, and it's unfortunate that Frontier has backed away from all of the 'nothing will change' talk for those users out there, i really do feel sorry for those who are getting jobbed price wise and function-wise as well.

11. Jan 5, 2011 #11 of 111
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Over at DSL Reports, they are saying that Frontier doesn't have enough TV customers to make the TV business economical, so they are in a downward spiral to drop it... definitely sucks for the customers who are in that area though. Too bad they can't plug into Verizon's signals for TV and have them manage it for a revenue share off of their existing super head-ends.

12. Jan 5, 2011 #12 of 111
    pteronaut

pteronaut Killer of Threads

Dec 26, 2009
    Indiana
    In my town, Frontier took over from Verizon, but we never had Fios, and never will because Verizon took the town over from GTE and never upgraded the local loop, leaving us unable to hook into many third party long distance providers aswell.

Sigh, looks like the Comcast monopoly is getting stronger... :(

13. Jan 5, 2011 #13 of 111
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon
    My advice for people with Frontier FiOS who are not under any contract...call today to re-up and get a bunch of free stuff thrown in while keeping the same rate or maybe up $5.00 a month. I got HBO/Cinemax free for 12 months, and internet up from 20/5 to 25/25. I'll take that over a $30.00 increase where NOTHING is being improved upon.

14. Jan 6, 2011 #14 of 111
    richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Seems like even the folks under a price protection contract wouldn't have any problems convincing Frontier to "allow" them to buy into a new one or two year contract at what would almost certainly be a higher rate...if they wanted to stay with Frontier. In the long run it would pencil out beneficially for both parties, particularly those whose contracts will run out sometime this year. Sometimes it's better to deal with the devil you know I suppose.

15. Jan 6, 2011 #15 of 111
    stiffi

stiffi New Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Charm City
    So is this a trend people think will continue? Verizon trying to divest itself of FIOS all around the country? Or is it just something about these select markets?

16. Jan 6, 2011 #16 of 111
    cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Beats me. Here are some press releases about the spinoff:
    http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2010/verizon-completes-spinoff-of.html
    http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2010/fcc-approves-verizons.html
    http://newscenter.verizon.com/press-releases/verizon/2009/verizon-to-divest-wireline.html

Maybe do some digging the above site for Frontier.

To semi-answer one of your earlier questions, there seemed to be buzz awhile ago about Verizon suspending FiOS deployments. I don't follow it since I don't care.

17. Jan 6, 2011 #17 of 111
    Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It was a huge series of rural markets, only a few had FIOS in them. The reality is that Frontier is too small to have a scale of economy in running a cable company, so the prices are going to shoot up, they'll lose customers, and that side of the FIOS business is going to fold. That being said, they are committed to FIOS, which means FIOS at least for internet, and probably for phone.

Verizon is going to keep moving forward with FIOS in it's own markets, although how they solve their current bandwidth crunch and if that solution is compatible with TiVo remains to be seen.

18. Jan 6, 2011 #18 of 111
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    My guess would be that it comes down to how expensive and non-cost-efficient it is to deploy and maintain fiber equipment in sparse areas. Palming the problem off to another company isn't going the problem go away. It would only be worse for a smaller company.

Frontier would be looking at it as getting a captive-customer list which they're looking to sell into DirecTV subscribers.

19. Jan 6, 2011 #19 of 111
    plazman30

plazman30 Member

Jan 22, 2005
    There is a bandwidth crunch on FIOS? They keep UPPING my speed. I can download a movie from iTunes at 3.6MB/sec sustained throughout the whole download

20. Jan 6, 2011 #20 of 111
    rifleman69

rifleman69 Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Oregon

Yep, they're trying their hardest to get people to re-up before Feb 18th (or whatever the switchover date is). My guess is they shut down the video part of FiOS by 2012 if not the end of this year when they're legally allowed to do so.