....from the horse's mouth!

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Guindalf, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Jan 5, 2006 #1 of 14
    Guindalf

Guindalf Now with added dalf

Jun 13, 2001
    Here is a Q&A from the latest TiVo email newsletter I got this evening.

It just confirms what we already know, but it's nice to get an official stand - at least from TiVo!

2. Jan 5, 2006 #2 of 14
    lee espinoza

lee espinoza some guy

Aug 21, 2002
    San Antonio,TX
    we all knew that.

3. Jan 5, 2006 #3 of 14
    Billy66

Billy66 Again with shoelaces

Dec 15, 2003
    Translation: We gave that authority to DirecTV for gold. Now we want to seem innocent in the transaction and still be the good guys. We did and will continue however to cash their checks.

4. Jan 5, 2006 #4 of 14
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    And as I've said before it would be impossible for DirecTV to enable all the really cool features that Tivo has thought up. DirecTV's customer support group could never handle the call volume or call content. It's easy to offer complicated features when you don't have that many customers. DirecTV has millions of customers. Tivo has hundreds of thousands. It's simple minded to say that DirecTV just doesn't want to enable those features.

5. Jan 5, 2006 #5 of 14
    tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Why? You realize that they are going to enable those same features later this year and next with their NDS models. No there are other things afoot when it comes to the enabling of TiVo features on the DirecTiVos.

6. Jan 5, 2006 #6 of 14
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    I think the key line here is "you remain a DIRECTV® customer and as such, will receive the version of the software that DIRECTV decides to support ". TiVo are now basically saying stay with DirecTV and get nothing. Change to cable and enjoy the world.

7. Jan 5, 2006 #7 of 14
    HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    My local cable world still provides most channels in analog. They are fuzzy looking. I'm not sure how much I would enjoy it.

8. Jan 5, 2006 #8 of 14
    tbeckner

tbeckner TiVo Fan

Oct 26, 2001
    Bend, OR, USA
    Where are you located. My small cable company just went all digital this last fall. Of course we where the 2nd Road Runner in the nation, and have had FTTC (Fiber To The Curb) since 2000, so they are progressive.

9. Jan 5, 2006 #9 of 14
    nhaigh

nhaigh Member

Jul 16, 2001
    Lawrencevill...
    The same is true for me for the Analogue channels but the digital versions of the same with HD are a totally different story. With the new TiVo there would be no reason to look at the Analogue channels unless you happen to be in a region that just doesn't have a Digital version of a channel, maybe a PBS station or something.

10. TiVoShanan

TiVoShanan The TiVo Spokesgal

Jun 13, 2002
    San...

That is not what I said, actually.

I said exactly I said -- nothing more, nothing less. I was a statement of fact.

I myself have DIRECTV as my programming source! But I also have a standalone TiVo box that I use... actually the DVD Recorder with TiVo. I love it.

11. tomo_kun

tomo_kun DJT0M0.

Sep 8, 2003
    Mil-Town...
    Yes, she didnt say anything about cable. You do not need cable to enjoy the world of TiVo. There is the DirecTV DVR with TiVo. If you can find it, its a nice subsitute. Sure its not the full thing, but its nice. You can still use a stand alone TiVo to control the D10 and other DirecTV boxes.

However, when the Series3 comes out, that wont be true, wont it? DirecTV boxes (or even cable boxes) wont work with the unit.

12. juggalojoe

juggalojoe New Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I think Directv will offer tivo plus soon. I had a weird error on my RCA DVR-40 that mentioned plus service. I guess we will continue to wait.

13. tomo_kun

tomo_kun DJT0M0.

Sep 8, 2003
    Mil-Town...
    Right.... DirecTV would do this AFTER they release their OWN DVR service and DISCONTINUE the TiVo units?

Unless you ofcourse mean DirecTV releasing DirecTV Plus+.

EDIT: After seeing the other thread.... I have no idea.... Unless ofcourse its just an insane fluke, or a cruel joke from TiVo....

14. ping

ping New Member

Oct 3, 2005
    Yes, DirecTV customer support have their hands full with the R15, even without these features. ;)

No, that's absurd. They want and plan to offer these features. They just want to do it in-house rather than through TiVo. And it will be the same (more likely, worse) support situation.