From Bolt to Roamio Pro

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by MJedi, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Jun 8, 2020 #1 of 13
    MJedi

MJedi Member

Jun 17, 2002
    WA
    Hello all,

So I just learned, much to my dismay, that when I install a new drive in the Bolt I lose references to recordings on the old drive. Apparently, Roamios don't have this "feature." So now I'm looking to get a Roamio to save myself future pain. Are there ongoing issues that I need to be aware of when using a Roamio Pro? I know it's an older model but in this case, the older ones looks better. I'll get the Roamio Pro 3TB with Lifetime from Weakness. It's refurbished but it should be good, right?

And I won't have to look at that bent design. What a weird box!

tommage1 likes this.
  2. Jun 8, 2020 #2 of 13
    ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio Plus & Pro is cable only, 6 tuners. If you were to leave cable, you would need another box for OTA. Basic model with 4 tuners can do either cable or OTA. (OTA model can do cable but lacks a cable card bracket.)

tommage1 likes this.
  3. Jun 9, 2020 #3 of 13
    Scott9mm

Scott9mm Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Rural NC
    What are "references to the old drive?"

You can stick a new/blank drive in a Roamio (or an edge, I think) but all programs, settings, season passes are lost. You can use KMTTG to save season passes and copy them to the new drive and to save non-protected programs to a PC. But that's about it.

A better option, IMO is to use MFSTools to copy everything from a healthy old drive to a bigger new one. This works for Roamio and I assume edge (but haven't done it myself). The copy will take hours. Direct connection to a computer's SATA card is fastest but a docking station connected to a USB3 port ain't bad.

4. Jun 9, 2020 #4 of 13
    MJedi

MJedi Member

Jun 17, 2002
    WA
    I have cable only with the Bolt so no problems there. I don't see myself leaving cable for OTA since I can't get a signal where I live.

See this reply from jmbach to the problem I experienced upgrading my Bolt: MFS Tools 3.2

I did use MFSTools to copy my recordings to the new drive, but the Bolt wouldn't boot successfully. In the process of testing that the new drive works, I wiped the new drive and plugged it in the Bolt. Well, I didn't know this process removes the references to the old drive, and therefore I can't access the recordings anymore. That data is saved in the Bolt's internal flash storage, which I didn't know it had. And now when I put the old drive back, it won't boot successfully either.

According to jmbach, Roamios don't have this feature, so I'm looking into getting a Roamio Pro. That way, if I want to upgrade in the future I don't have to deal with this issue.

EDIT: Plus, I can use 3.5-inch drives natively and they have larger capacities.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  5. Jun 9, 2020 #5 of 13
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    I have a 4TB WD Red (WD40EFRX) in my Roamio Basic, running close to 5 yrs.

6. Jun 9, 2020 #6 of 13
    MJedi

MJedi Member

Jun 17, 2002
    WA
    Does Roamio Pro allow out-of-home streaming to mobile using wi-fi or cellular?

7. Jun 9, 2020 #7 of 13
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Roamio Plus and Pro has Tivo stream built-in, as well as built-in MoCa. You can watch using the Tivo app or online.tivo.com

8. Jun 9, 2020 #8 of 13
  9. Jun 9, 2020 #9 of 13
    ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Another place to look is Amazon.

There is one, but its $599 with lifetime and Amazon Prime shipping.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  10. MJedi

MJedi Member

Jun 17, 2002
    WA
    I saw that, and it's sold from Weakness, too. The same model sold directly from Weakness is $499. I'll just need to wait longer for shipping.

11. MJedi

MJedi Member

Jun 17, 2002
    WA
    So would you recommend the Roamio Pro over the Bolt for better hard drive upgrades?

12. ThAbtO

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes. The Bolt uses 2.5 inch laptop drives and to use a 3.5 inch drive, you have to put it into an external enclosure, bypass the electronics of the case, figure how to connect to the Tivo MB directly. too much hassle.

All Tivos from series 3 to 5 (Roamio) uses 3.5 inch drives. With the Roamio, you can swap drives and the contents are intact between the drives. ie: HouseWives occupy Drive A, Movies on Drive B. They are still there if you swap. Only thing on flash is the OS.

13. MJedi

MJedi Member

Jun 17, 2002
    WA
    Thanks for the replies! Placed the order with Weakness.

kpeters59 likes this.