Fringe - "White Tulip" - OAD 4/15/10

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by tewcewl, Apr 15, 2010.

1. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL

Advertisements

This was a great episode with the always-welcome Peter Weller. The make-up they had for him was unbelievable. When the time travel aspect was introduced, I was afraid it was going to be like another "Monday," an X-Files episode. I was quite pleased that it went somewhere else entirely.

The ending was quite affecting for me and my wife. Think Walter will tell Peter the truth next week?

2. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Another fantastic episode. If there were any justice in the TV World, John Noble would have an Emmy after this season.

3. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    Good episode. But how did Walter go from "needing 20 years of assistance from great minds to absorb this information" to "hey, you need a 9th order polynomial instead"?

4. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Really great episode. I also love it when Peter Weller shows up in something. I remember him being a terrific villain in "24" a couple seasons ago.

So I'm sure I must have missed something... what was the significance of the drawing (I think it was of a tulip?) at the end?

Oh, and I thought for sure that in one of the "re-jumps" back in time, that Peter was going to end up with that letter that Walter kept dropping on the train car. Kind of a red herring there.

5. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard

Advertisements

I think I dozed off because I didn't get it either and was too sleepy to rewind.
    I'll watch it again tonight.
    Great to see Buckaroo Banzai back in action- should have named the wife Penny. Or have Walter tell him "May I pass along my congratulations for your great interdimensional breakthrough. I am sure, in the miserable annals of the Earth, you will be duly enshrined."

Sorry- I just love Buckaroo Banzai!!

6. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    Walter told Peter Weller's character he was looking for a sign that he should tell (Walter's son) Peter that he saved him and took him from the alternate universe. Walter decided that it should be something like a white tulip because they were exceptionally rare that time of year. The drawing was Peter Weller's way of sending Walter that sign.

So, there was a HUGE time paradox they never really resolved in this episode. Peter Weller's character goes back in time to save his wife (really to die with her), but isn't there still a Peter Weller looking at the balloon when the car crash happens? Was the past Peter Weller in the field when the Future Peter Weller came back, and as a result died? I'm guessing that's how they figured it. Otherwise there's still a Peter Weller running around still grief-stricken and legally dead.

7. Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    :D Or have Walter tell him "Remember, wherever you time travel, there you are."

8. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    Peter Weller, referring to the people that die in the vicinity of where he jumps, said at one point they're not dead forever since "the slate is wiped clean" next time he jumps. Which implied, to me at least, that there's not multiple time lines, only one, and he'd learned to jump back and forth (well, at least back) on that one.

9. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Exactly. I thought the same thing-unless we're to assume he took over his body when he jumped back-and there was only one of him existing in the timeline at the same time. Other than that a great episode-especially considering Walter got the picture of the flower without him telling anyone-to him it was a sign from God.

10. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The show did seem to adopt the one of the theories about time travel - that one can only go back in time (if one were really able to) within one's lifetime. This would explain why Peter Weller's character was only able to go where he had been before. He was on the train before, so he traveled there, twice. That's why he was able to show up in the field exactly where he was before on that day. No paradox here.

11. danplaysbass

danplaysbass I watch too much TV.

Jul 19, 2004
    Philadelphia
    I loved the effect when the field turned brown when he traveled back by the balloon.

What was up with all the surgical implants? What were those things?

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Walter made mention of what he had done in the scene where they first meet, and no, i can't remember the words, but they did note it.

Diane

13. jschuur

jschuur TV-holic, improving

Nov 27, 2002
    London, UK
    They were referencing a Faraday shield, to protect his own cells from otherwise suffering the same effects as the plant life or people we saw.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, it looked like it was going to be yet another Groundhog Day episode (it seems almost mandatory for any genre show to have one), so I was pleasantly surprised when they did something much smarter and more interesting. And more touching...I didn't see the white tulip coming at the end, but how perfect was that?

What's interesting is, he went through all that just so he could make up with her and die with her. I wonder if that was his original plan, or if he changed his mind about saving her after he talked to Walter?

I saw an interview with Peter Weller. He said he's too busy working on his UCLA PhD in Renaissance Italian history to watch much television, but his wife is a big fan of Fringe and talked him into taking the role, and now he's a big fan as well.

15. ZooCaretaker

ZooCaretaker Lock up the lions

May 22, 2007
    MA
    Re: The White Tulip .. so he drew the white tulip in the present day and left it on the desk; then went 10 months back in time and was killed; so his present day desk likely would have been cleared out 10 months ago... so how did they get the letter that they had been holding for "almost a year"?

16. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    He left it to his contact at MIT- she held it for him until the date he specified he wanted it delivered to Walter. Remember when her assistant (or whoever) walked in as she was looking at it and said something akin to "Haven't seen you look at that in a long time!"

ETA:- Oh, I get what you are saying. Maybe he took it back with him and it was found on his person after the wreck?
    Good question!

17. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    The white envelope with the post-it saying to deliver to Walter was inside brown envelope if I remember correctly.

The brown envelope was probably either left for his MIT contact (mailed maybe?) or on him when he died.

I thought that too. I think his original plan was to save his wife, but after talking to Walter he thought about if his fiance would be able to accept what he did to save her (assuming he still had all that crap inside his skin.) Either way chances were he wouldn't have a happy ending.

18. ZooCaretaker

ZooCaretaker Lock up the lions

May 22, 2007
    MA
    Yup - that is correct.

The question is when... *IF* he took it back in time with him, then that would make sense.... BUT *IF* he left it on the desk (which I believe he did) then it doesn't make sense, because by his going back in time and dieing the timeline where he left the envelope on the desk never existed so how could they have found the envelope?

19. tewcewl

tewcewl New Member

Dec 18, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Can't get much more perfect than that. Even if you suspected that would be the case (and it was kind of foreshadowed by the conversation between the two), it was still so touching, sold very well by John Noble.

I say Walter definitely changed his mind.

Very cool. I did not know that Weller was that smart or what he was up to. Where did you see this?

20. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    Well, he had to have take it back with him. That is the only thing that remotely makes any sense.