Fringe vs. Eleventh Hour

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by johnny99, Feb 13, 2009.

1. johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008

Advertisements

Anyone still watching these show? They were both heavily hyped by the networks at the beginning of the season, but neither really took off. I think they both have the same problem. The lead characters are played by foreigners whose fake American accents are really flat and unemotional and unexpressive.

Also, both Fringe and Eleventh Hour are trying to appeal to fans of the X Files and Lost, but those shows had great character chemistry as well as a strongly developed story mythology. Fringe and Eleventh Hour fail in both departments.

Has either show been renewed for next season?

2. TheDewAddict

TheDewAddict tciddAweDehT

Aug 21, 2002
    Amsterdam,...
    I think Fringe is actually doing quite well, and is one of the most-watched new shows this year. I'm not sure if it's been renewed though.

3. Johnny Dancing

Johnny Dancing Closet Rebel

Sep 3, 2000
    Detroit
    I have watched both. So far, I like Fringe a bit more but have liked the 11th Hours I have watched.

Fringe has become my elliptical trainer show (because no one else in the family watches it). I just figured out that it has less commercials which is why I get through an entire 45 minute workout during the show. Plus the "Fringe will return in 90 seconds" makes jumping during training very easy.

4. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    Fringe is one of my favorite shows on at this time :)

5. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

I'm loving Fringe more and more with every episode. Never watched Eleventh Hour, nor did I have any interest in it. Not even sure what it's about.

6. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Fringe is quite successful. I don't know what the OP is talking about.

And oddly enough, I caught an Eleventh Hour for the first time last night. That show is pretty bad. It probably won't make it.

7. jneugeba

jneugeba Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Denver, CO
    I do agree with the OP that Anna Torv's "American" accent is AWFUL!

8. IndyJones1023

IndyJones1023 Auteur

Apr 1, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Not knowing her Australian one, I have no basis to compare. So it sounds fine to me.

9. ewilts

ewilts Who, me?

Feb 26, 2002
    Mounds View, MN
    We've watched every episode of 11th Hour and enjoy them. It's a good thing I've good dual tuners since it overlaps with ER. It will be interesting to see if 11th Hour takes off even more once ER ends.

10. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    Fringe is far more serialized, while Eleventh Hour is more of a "weird science topic of the week" show. It's as if the same concept was taken to both FOX and CBS and then tailored to each network's sensibilities.

I'll watch Fringe before Eleventh Hour, but not that much before. :) The best thing about Eleventh Hour, IMHO, is Marley Shelton.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I watch both series, and for very different reasons, and I enjoy both.
    I'm a BBC fan, so I watched their original Eleventh Hour, and I'll say on this rare occasion I prefer the US adaptation the only episode I preferred from the BBC was Miracle.

I'm hooked on Fringe and it's quirkiness, but I come to it via Lost and the X-Files.
    If I had to pick one, hard as it is, I'd want Fringe to live on.

12. johnny99

johnny99 TivoHD

Nov 10, 2008
    I don't think Fringe is much different, regarding the "weird science topic of the week". Early in the show, they started talking about some massive conspiracy behind the scenes, but that story line is so thin that it may as well not exist. There is no "Deep Throat" or "Cancer Man" like in the X Files to move the conspiracy mythology along. All we get is Blair Brown popping up every once in a while, but we have no idea what she wants or who she works for or even if she is good or bad. I do like the dark tone of Fringe, but the story and characters seem to be going no where. At least with Eleventh Hour, they don't pretend to have a back story.

And yes, Marley is best part of Eleventh Hour, even if her character is irrelevant to the plots.

13. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    This is almost word for word what I would've posted.

14. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Haven't watched any of Eleventh Hour yet though I've tivoed them all. I have a couple of unwatched Fringes too.. So I can't compare 'em yet.

15. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I've watched both, every eps, from the premieres. Fringe is one of my favorites, give it a 7 out of 10. Eleventh Hour is ok, maybe a 5/10. I watch it every week, but when/if it gets canceled, I won't cry or email peanuts.

Bzz. Wrong answer. Fringe is one of the stronger new shows this year. This week it had 11+ million viewers, and that was up against the first new Mentalist in a month (which had almost 20 million). Idol lead-in helped, but Fringe has been bringing in the viewers before Idol started.

I don't know about Anna Torv's accent, but I find her face fascinating. Different than the usual TV star look. A touch of Cate Blanchett ('nother Aussie!).

16. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Just did a quick check of last night's numbers, and Eleventh Hour did pretty good. I was surprised it also had 11+ million viewers. However, while the two shows had similar numbers of overall viewers, Fringe had 50% more of the desired 18-49 demo (3.9 vs 2.7), making it a "hotter" show.

But good numbers for both.

17. ruexp67

ruexp67 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    I *like* both shows, but they both have their faults.

Rufus Sewel is SO boring on screen. The stories are interesting, but he is just a snooze fest.

The budget for Fringe must go somewhere, but it does NOT go to their effects. It's like a Jr. High film class project sometimes.

18. StacieH

StacieH betativowho??

Jan 2, 2009
    Between San...
    And I think it's Rufus Sewell. Beautiful man, beautiful man. :)

19. tivoboyjr

tivoboyjr Unregistered User

Apr 28, 2003
    I was really excited about Fringe and stopped watching after the second episode. It was a total let-down for me. It just seemed like a second-rate, cheesy show.

I have an SP for 11th hour and watch it sometimes. It's just OK, but I'd say it's better than Fringe.

20. Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    I almost deleted my SP after the 3rd or 4th episode; it just wasn't grabbing me and I often found it silly. I think the series has really improved, though; glad I kept my SP. The last several episodes have been outstanding (minus those with Mark Valley's character who totally brought the show down).