Fringe - "The Same Old Story" - 9/16/08

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by MickeS, Sep 17, 2008.

1. MickeS

MickeS Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2002

Advertisements

That stupid camera ruined this not-that-great-anyway episode for me. That was pure jump-the-shark material, and in only the second episode!

I like the characters a lot though, and the ongoing storyline about the "pattern" and Massive Dynamics can be interesting. But the stand-alone aspect of this episode was embarrassingly predictable - from the moment he opened his tool bag it was clear he was a serial killer, and from the moment the girl was shown with her belly growing, I knew it would be about a rapidly aging baby, and then when they showed the old man dead, well I was sure that the killer tried to stop himself from aging. Yawn. And I'm usually not one to be able to correctly predict this stuff!

2. pjenkins

pjenkins God bless Texas :)

Mar 8, 1999
    Plano, TX, USA
    did you predict the 3 other serial killers at the end?

i liked the episode, it's a keeper (even if it was predictable this time) :)

3. 503Blunts

503Blunts New Member

Apr 7, 2005
    15:01.

Contrived, predictable and boring.

So tired, so fast.

4. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Speaking of the pattern, is this what all the early-summer FOX radio spots were about that all said, "Find the pattern"?

Greg

5. jimborst

jimborst Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 30, 2001
    IA USA

Advertisements

I'll keep the SP for now, but it's X-Files with people I just don't care about. The only one I kind of care for is the old scientist, his learning to adapt back into the mainstream may be OK but the rest just meh.

6. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    You guys are all spoiled rotten. I won't say this is the best television I've ever seen, but this was a fine episode. So what if you knew right away that the guy would turn out to be a serial killer. Did you not enjoy Millennium for the same reason? And as for the rapidly aging baby, I never expected an old man covered in blood with an umbilical cord sticking out of his belly -- ya gotta admit that was a little unexpected.

And, besides, the *real* point of this episode is to introduce the theme of the scientists *experimenting on their children*. Now we are left to wonder what Walter did to his son. Is his 190 IQ somewhat artificial and, if so, are there any side effects? Oh, and it appears that there be clones -- of course I knew *that* pretty much before I even saw the pilot.

7. bottomsup

bottomsup New Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Well, I will jump in to say that I really enjoyed it. Predictability on this kind of show is not a game ender for me. That said, I guess I am dense, because I wasn't able to connect all the dots immediately.

Love Walter--one of those gray area characters. I like how they juxtapose his almost at times cuddly helplessness with the horrific things he has worked on.

Totally fascinated by the image burned into the retina. I am easily amused.

I like Olivia/Anna Torv very, very much. She has something...a different look...I guess, that sets her apart.

And I will always have a warm place in my heart for Pacey.

Have some questions about Lydia? at Massive Dynamic, but the kid is waking up...more later.

8. Sparty99

Sparty99 Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    A small area of confusion for me. What was up with the Massive Dynamic woman having an arm this week? Didn't we discover in the Pilot that she had a metal arm?

9. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    She wears a fake skin "glove" over it normally. She was shown taking that off in the first episode so that she could show Olivia the arm.

10. Magister

Magister Fat, Dumb and Happy

Oct 17, 2004
    Columbia, SC
    That way they don't have to 'Michael Scofield' and keep her in long sleeves and a glove...

I thought it was a pretty cool episode. While the idea of hot hookers is unrealistic, it was interesting. They weren't very gentle with the 'ladies'.

11. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Ah, ok. Thanks. Did they refer to that in the pilot and I missed it?

12. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    Well I am manual recording this on my old AT&TiVo (conflicts starting next week). I haven't watched either episode yet. If it turns out it is not worth watching, it gives me more room for Heroes manual recordings (also a conflict thanks to DWTS being 1.5 hours). OR maybe I'll up the recording quality.

13. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    I really enjoyed the pilot and thought it had a lot of promise.

After watching the second episode I was left impressed by how in just one episode they can devolve into complete and utter predictability and stupidity.

I guess we'll see if they're just burning the crap episodes off early while the JJ Abrams buzz is strong enough to keep people watching, or if this is just an example of what the entire season will bring.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Something like X-Files buys a lot of suspension of disbelief because it was all about fantasy stuff. But when everything is based on real science as in Fringe, they really ought to have at least a faint glimmering of how the science they're talking about works. This is in Galactica's league for sheer ignorance of the concepts they're using.

15. dcheesi

dcheesi ...I'm not.

Apr 6, 2001
    MD, USA
    Yep, the whole eye-camera thing was just ridiculous, and the techno-babble they used to try to "hang a lantern on it" just made it worse. So now muscle-relaxers magically freeze neural impulses in the optical pathway? :rolleyes:

16. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Why was that impressive? I could tell that was going to happen from the pilot. They were clearly setting up a pseudo-science formulaic freak of the week series with the way the pilot ended.

17. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    There's quite a difference between pseudo-science and just pulling rabbits out of hats as needed for each story.

18. scsiguy72

scsiguy72 OTA Only..Free TV

Nov 25, 2003
    California Guy
    I am on the fence with this show, But getting close to jumping off and moving the SP to the bottom of my list. I will watch it if nothing else conflicts.

I really don't like the Peter Bishop character. All he seems to do is scoff at everything. Very one dimensional

19. Sparty99

Dec 4, 2001
    Ferndale, MI
    Once again I find myself extremely pleased that I'm stupid. I've found the show entertaining. I don't know anything about real science, so pseudo-science isn't all that different to me.

20. TAsunder

TAsunder Debates Ghee vs Gi

Aug 6, 2003
    Madison, WI
    Ah well, that difference is lost on me I guess. I lump them together.