Fringe - "Subject 13"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by spikedavis, Feb 26, 2011.

1. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003

Advertisements

Phenomenal episode. Top notch. It amazes me that we can have an A+ episode like this and a D+ episode like last weeks. How can the same production company put out such varying quality?

The kids in this episode were great. I saw Nick Lane-and how he got his scar. The physic from a few weeks ago was there too.

2. Michael S

Michael S Member

Jan 12, 2004
    When Walter used the camcorder did they drop the picture to SD for the effect that you viewing it through the camcorder?

3. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    The opening was pretty cool

4. spikedavis

spikedavis New Member

Nov 23, 2003
    Not sure but the entire episode seems out of focus. The montage sequence was great.

5. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis

Advertisements

Yeah, there were definite video issues. I thought it might have something to do with the efforts (in vain) to make Walter look 25 years younger, but it often happened when he wasn't on the screen, and sometimes didn't when he was.

Wasn't the whole episode, but it happened intermittently throughout.

6. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Maybe they softened the focus a little bit to reflect the level of technology back then.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Given it was an 80s episode, I suspect you're right. But whatever they did didn't work. Instead of making it looks 80s, it just made it look crappy. It didn't look old; it looked like a mistake.

Good episode, though!

8. mike_k

mike_k Registered User

Sep 20, 2005
    Mason, OH
    I agree - it didn't work.

Loved the intro - hated the commercial breaks every 6 minutes.

9. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    They've used that intro once before. I even made a "video" that combines the different themes...

I like how they use the different openings to clue us in to what universe/year the episode takes place in.

BTW, do Peter and Olivia remember meeting each other as children?

10. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I was wondering how they were going to explain that and how Peter forgot he was kidnapped.

I wanted to kick Olive's stepdad's ass.

11. nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Great episode!

12. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I got a new tv just before the superbowl and this episode made me think it was going bad on me. I started readjusting the picture settings to try and get it clearer/sharper but nothing worked (of course). I gave up and reset it to my original settings and was relieved to see the picture sharp and clear when watching something else.

I loved the end, where we find out how Walternate finds out about the second universe. Great twist.

13. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    I wonder if it was, in fact, a mistake with their "80s filter". Like you, I only noticed it intermittently. So I wonder if during those scenes they overdid it, or the filter just didn't work very well with those images.

Great story though! :D

We also got some insight into how Olivia jumps. It does appear that she is temporarily in both universes while making the transition. When her step-dad attacked her, he didn't seem to notice that she had disappeared. And Walter saw her while she was looking at Walternate.

At first I was thinking Walter was being cold-hearted by just staring at Olivia while she was unloading on him. But it turned out that was Walternate's WTF look. :D

I do wonder what was going through his mind when he saw a kid run into his office in what was supposed to be a secure facility. Knowing Walter (and Walternate), seeing Olivia disappear in front of him probably actually made things seem less weird rather than more.

14. BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    If that was the only time Peter and Olivia met, and they didn't hang out and become friends, I could see how they might not remember each other. Most people don't remember everyone they ever met when they were kids.

As far as Peter knowing he was kidnapped, his memory around that was already tainted by the fact that he thought the other world was at the bottom of the lake. So I think Peter finally accepted his "parents'" story that he was just confused due to being sick.

But I think that's also why Peter so quickly came to the conclusion that he was not from Blue World. I remember during the episode when Peter confronted Walter thinking that he came to that conclusion rather quickly and directly, but after this episode that confrontation actually makes sense.

The idea that he was from another world was always in the back of his mind, but he had brushed it aside as an irrational notion. However, after finding out about the parallel world, the dots began connecting again, and realizing that he didn't disintegrate on the bridge was the final straw that made all the memories of him thinking he was kidnapped come back to the surface.

15. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    Was there a point to be made that young Peter could tell that the identical woman wasn't his mother, but grown Peter couldn't tell that FauxOlivia wasn't Olivia?

16. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect we will have another 80s episode that will explain how Olivia and Peter came to (not) know what they (don't) know...

Part III of The 80s Trilogy? :D

17. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I can't remember--didn't Olivia at first not remember the school in Florida at all, and then only vaguely? Does Walter have a handy dandy memory wiper? Or did she just block it out because of the trauma?

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I suspect all that will be covered in The 80s Trilogy Part III! :D

19. vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    Awesome episode!

20. Anubys

Anubys All About Footwork

Jul 16, 2004
    Fairfax...
    sigh...the video quality was bad because the entire ep was recorded on betamax, not film...

:p

so Olivia can now start fires with her mind? that's new!

I thought the girl did a really good job with a few of the adult Olivia's mannerism and speech patterns...