Fringe - Neither Here Nor There **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by matt@thehickmans, Sep 23, 2011.

1. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    This episode was amazing and definitely worth the wait. Anna Torv, John Noble and the whole production staff made things feel believably different as a timeline without Peter.

It is definitely the best show on TV and this just underlines that.

2. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    A world without Peter is apparently an Amber World!

3. dylking

dylking I've never farded

Jul 20, 2003
    St Paul, MN
    oh my. Kept me glued the entire episode, and i'm usually doing something - surfing, reading, whatever.

Would have been funny to have Flanigan's character's name "Sheppard" :D

4. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I read where it was suppose to be orange. Amber sounds better.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Yes, the opening sequence was definitely more yellow than orange. Amber world it is! :p

I liked seeing Joe Flanigan again, too bad he got written off so early. :(
    And the Observer that didn't follow through with his task which will result in making Walter even more "crazy" than he already is. :D

So, do I understand correctly that the only people who remember past events are the ones who were in the vicinity of the machine when Peter activated it?

And some other questions I haven't thought of yet.
    I'm looking forward to the ride.:cool:

6. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    The Observers instituted a new timeline. I believe this happened when the Observer (named September) interrupted Walternate when he should 've discovered the cure for his Peter. Peter was significant because he creates the bridge between the two universes and September's error would result in Peter dying.

So the Observers diverted the time stream by either allowing Walter to kidnap Peter and/or saving Peter from downing in the Lake. Then they protected him while growing up. Once the bridge was created, They simply made sure that the bridge stayed in place while they set the time-stream back on course to where it was 'suppose' to be.

So now all the past events of the last three seasons happened without Peter. Nobody remembers him existing because he died young after the Observers re-adjusted the past. Apparently they couldn't change the mistake September made to begin this whole process.

However there appears to be bleed-through that the Observers are concerned about and want to fix. This manifests itself as Peter's image showing up in reflections and flashing in the background occasionally.

September has put together a device to erase Peter and his bleed-through. And I suspect that device will backfire.

7. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    He's put together the device all right but I think he may be conflicted about using it. I think he has become emotionally attached to the Bishops and could go rogue on us.

8. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Don't write him off so early. The Asian victim was mobile again by the end of the show, so we might be seeing ol' Joe again in one form or another ...

9. wprager

wprager Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

Yeah, about that. How did that girl wind up there, all of a sudden? Last I remember of her Walter was planning on getting tissue samples from her. I suppose while he was hiding in the dunk tank she walked off, but how far a walk? And wouldn't they have noticed a missing body?

When I saw here on that oil tank (I think that's what it was) I immediately thought I had skipped a scene fast-forwarding.

10. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Actually Joe's body was released to his family. At some point there would be a wake -- what a time for him to awaken.

11. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    He'd better awaken before he gets buried. Seems like it would be a waste of someone as scifi recognizable as Flanigan for him to only be in the show for a couple of minutes.

Great episode. Glad to have this show back.

12. cmontyburns

cmontyburns Excellent.

Nov 14, 2001
    Houston, TX
    The victims are dead. The "people" that now look like the victims are shapeshifters who have taken their form, no?

13. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I don't know why I forgot that. Duh.

14. wprager

Feb 19, 2006
    Ottawa, Canada
    Doh! Of course! The "walking corpse" was a shapeshifter. When Lee was tending to the agent who got shot he said there were two of them. I wondered, at the time, why they introduced that. It was clearly to make us realize that the "walking corpse" was a shapeshifter.

Makes so much more sense now.

15. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    It's hard to imagine that Walter could have survived this long out of the asylum without Peter taking care of him. A random bodyguard making sure he doesn't do anything crazy is hardly the same. I wonder if he's going to continue to be more and more mentally unbalanced. But then seeing men who aren't there would unhinge the best of us.

Did Peter die as a young boy in both timelines, or was he never born? You should have to start the timeline over from the point of the change, and then all kinds of things would be different. How can you just extract someone and have everything go on exactly the same? :confused:

16. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    This is not our Olive. :(

This Olive seems like a sad empty shell of the character I remember, and way more vulnerable. What's sad is I don't think we will ever be getting our old Olivia back and for the story arc this is probably for the best. At least Fauxlivia still looks hot and fun! When Peter finally comes back and stops being just a reflection I think it will make for good TV having him try to explain that they're in wuv. Anna Torv is doing an exceptional job as usual! :)

17. Polcamilla

Polcamilla -b±√(b^2 - 4ac)/2a

Nov 7, 2001
    When the opening credits were yellow/orange, I had this sudden disturbing sense that while the Observers believe themselves to be correcting a single timeline, in reality, they're fracturing our existing universe into more and more different realities. More worrisome is that the writers will track them and the fans are going to be sitting around going "So, the universe where New Coke is a big hit is the eggplant universe?" "No. That's the universe where the Pepsi Challenge drove Coke out of business. You're getting it confused with the puce universe."

Also, I guess when Peter vanished, his lovechild with Fauxlivia ceased to exist to? And everyone is okay with this? 'Cause it's got to suck to suddenly be plucked from existance like that and have nobody (not even the fans) miss you. :(

18. cheesesteak

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Seems like the economy has gotten so bad that Obama had to take a part time job guarding Walter's bedroom.

19. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    He's still there.
    Just not in this timeline :D

20. JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey, at least he got more screen time and lines than Joshua Jackson!

What an interesting start to the season.
    I like seeing how Olivia and Walter's lives have been affected being Peter-less.