Fringe - "Alone in the World" - 10/7/2011

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Family, Oct 8, 2011.

1. Oct 8, 2011 #1 of 31
    Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    Once again not a great episode and little arc beyond Peter's haunting, but I liked that Timeline Olivia grew in character bringing her closer to being our Olivia. Walter also finally felt three dimensional in his relationship with the kid. This season has cleverly presented the other universe as the cool kids, almost like the old Apple/IBM ads, but it's left me feeling that what I liked most about the show was gone. This might have been intentional with Peter's absence, but I'm glad this episode at least brought us closer to having the old group back. And for that reason I give it a one thumb up.... at least when Peter returns we've seen these boring people more as themselves.

Now let's get on with it before the ratings are so bad Fox has to stop showing them until rerun season.

2. Oct 8, 2011 #2 of 31
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    For those keeping score they were VERY clear with Peter and his states in both worlds in this episode, that's something a lot of folks in previous have been clamoring for, heck they laid out the road map right there.

As far as MOTW plot, I thought the symbiotic fungus named Gus was a decent throwback to simpler Fringe times and moved things along acceptable.

Did anyone else notice that Anna Torv's hair was not at all that blonde here? in fact there were multiple shots where it was almost completely dark.

3. Oct 8, 2011 #3 of 31
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    I found the fungi incomplete and poorly realized. In cases like this Walter usually is able to speculate on the origins of any biological threat, be it a prehistoric plague that had been suppressed by the sulphur from the explosion of a past super volcano or someone bioengineering a monster using his old research from the 1970's. Nor was there any evolutionary rhyme or reason given for such a fungus to exist. It is like this stuff was edited out for time and the viewers were left to guess and fend on their own with clues that made no sense at all.

I kinda like the smoke and mirrors. It is like trim and paint on a house, it covers a multitude of sins. As is, we have an empathetic fungus -- which implies some sort of intelligence or nervous system (which is not a known fungi trait). An empathetic fungus will elicit sympathy from the audience, but once that sympathy is elicited, is is ignored by the story and characters, then quashed as the fungus is killed in a rather odd fashion (for fungi, that is)

We also have a triggering event for the reproduction of the fungus that really makes no sense. This fungus has apparently existed for a while and not been threatening. It defends a friend and that triggers a chain reaction of corpses exploding from spore production without the spores growing into anything like the original adult-form fungal empath. Further, there is no hint as to why the empathetic capabilities of the fungus would either evolve or be engineered.

This fungus might be something that this season's big bad created or accidently let loose. But, if so, they could at least have raised the questions above and maybe made suggestive comments that this MotW is evidence of a bigger conspiracy (e.g, "The Pattern") that should have been addressed.

We also have Walter making promises to a kid that, unless the kid becomes a regular, he is not going to keep.

Not one of my favorite episodes, but at least it sets the stage for Peter's return. We find out that Olivia has been having dreams. And we find out that red Peter died in this time line as a child when the ice broke when Walter was bringing over to try and cure him.

4. Oct 8, 2011 #4 of 31
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    I thought it was weird that the school introduced Olivia and Lincoln to the kid in the cafeteria and let them take him away without a guardian. THe rest was just typical Fringe weirdness.

5. Oct 8, 2011 #5 of 31
    Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    Someone on another board has claimed to have isolated Peter's words where he, Walter, and Broyles were all talking over each other.

""Walter, listen to me. Walter, can you see me? (or do you see me?) I can hear you. Where are you? Listen. Please. I'm right here. I'm scared Walter. You have to help me. I'm right here. Walter, I'm scared. I want to come home.""

Wonder which Peter will be the one who comes back?
    <insert Twilight Zone music here>

6. Oct 9, 2011 #6 of 31
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    LOL... We should start weekly threads where we can (playfully) pick apart "that would never happen" moments that really have nothing to do with the show. Like the fact that the characters on Friends would have been robbed 400 times a year because no one locks their doors.

I think it'll be Original Peter, exactly as we left him (so "red" Peter that grew up in Blue world)... He obviously remembers who he is and where he comes from because he's trying to contact Walter. All of the other character's histories were re-written as a result of Peter's reset, but Peter himself wasn't changed... I think his arc will be getting back to them and then them all trying figure out WTF is going on.

The episode was great if only for the never-ending excellence of John Noble. It's performances like his that make me remember how annoying it is that these shows just can't get recognized. I completely believe that he is Walter Bishop. His scenes with Aaron and then especially at the end were awesome.

I also thought they did a good job casting the kid--kid actors are almost always the kiss of death because...they're kid actors. Plus I had some good old fashioned "getting chased by bullies who want to beat me up for no reason" flashbacks. Good times.

7. Oct 9, 2011 #7 of 31
    danterner

danterner Not it!

Mar 4, 2005
    Greenacres, FL
    It always amazes me the extent to which John Noble can communicate wordlessly, with just a twitch of his cheek.

8. Oct 9, 2011 #8 of 31
    cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    How does he never get nominated for any best actor/supporting actor awards?

9. Oct 9, 2011 #9 of 31
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    He's in the wrong kind of show.

10. Cearbhaill

Cearbhaill Garden obsessed

Aug 1, 2004
    My back yard
    But will this all happen in a reset blue world or will we remain in this modified place with an adult Peter popped into existence somehow? Will Olivia and Walter somehow regain their blue memories?
    I would hate to see the old relationship between Peter and Walter lost, and IMO current Walter is irrevocably damaged- I don't think there's any coming back from that.

11. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    *chuckle* we're talking about a show with multiple universes, a way to travel between them, amber encased cities and shapeshifters, and there's a science complaint? I'm always amused when that pops up.

12. Family

Family Well-Known Member

Jul 23, 2001
    I believe everything will be reset in the end. There may be a period when Peter exists in this timeline, but that will be brief IMO.

13. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    Walter (upon learning Olivia has been dreaming about Peter) -- "I'm perfectly sane!"...

Um...yeah, let's go with that...

Improvement over last week's weak episode...thankfully.

14. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    "And..you think you don't belong in a mental institution?"

15. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    :up:

16. eddyj

eddyj SeƱor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    At least we did get clarification that Peter did exist, and died from the disease and then the other one died in the ice after Walter stole him, setting up the "rivalry" with the other universe.

17. matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    Some people do like science in their science fiction. And I wasn't exactly asking for a lot, only that the writers not be too lazy to try.

18. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    But you have to admit, this is a show that has been pretty strongly anti-science since the very beginning...

There was a time when it pretended to try (with embarrassing results), but that time has long since passed!

19. dianebrat

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    And I'm glad they sort of just try and get it close now and fudge the rest, I can deal.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    Do you have the same problem with the science in Star Trek?
    If not, then you're just threadcrapping (IMO).