Fringe 5/6/11 "The Day We All Died"

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Rob Helmerichs, May 6, 2011.

1. May 6, 2011 #1 of 102
    Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    [Keanu] Whoa. [/Keanu]

So do you think Peter deliberately removed himself from reality so Walternate wouldn't take it all so personally?

2. May 6, 2011 #2 of 102
    MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Yeah not sure if it was on purpose, or what Walter said with not knowing what would happen.

My guess is Peter became a paradox and thus was blinked from existence!

So Walter/Walternate all of a sudden forget that he was ever there, could be a weird conversation on how it all started then?

3. May 6, 2011 #3 of 102
    nyny523

nyny523 Oy

Oct 31, 2003
    New Yawk
    Wait...WHAT?!?!?!?

4. May 6, 2011 #4 of 102
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Oops, should be "The Day We Died."

5. May 7, 2011 #5 of 102
    mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I'm not sure how I feel about any of this. First off, I despise time travel stories--they've all been done to death and are almost always disappointing. I wish Fringe didn't go there but I guess it is what it is.

Secondly, this whole "twist" is kind of non-sensical. If Peter never existed, then Walter never snatched him so he never caused the rifts between the universes, so then there's nothing that actually needs to be fixed now. So what were the Observers talking about? They said Peter served his purpose as if his purpose was uniting the two sides and preventing the war, but if Peter never existed, then there'd be no war in the first place.

Hence why I hate crap like this. Granted I'll have to see how it plays out in season 4 but if Fringe becomes a "time travel" show, I don't think I'll be able to deal with it. Time travel ruined Lost, was done terribly on Heroes, sucked on Flash Forward. It's just a big ass show killer. Fringe has been refreshingly cool and inventive so far, to delve into a tired, cliche ridden concept would be a terrible move.

6. May 7, 2011 #6 of 102
    matt@thehickmans

matt@thehickmans Hemo_jr

Jan 8, 2008
    First off, great episode. They certainly did something with time-travel I've never seen before, and I have been reading SF and time travel stories for over fifty years. I was skeptical about the 'first people' but was with-holding judgement. But they were able to pull that off with enough plausibility that my "suspension of disbelief" came through intact. But then, I enjoy well though out time travel stories.

Then they make Peter disappear as if he never was. Good thing that the show is well enough written that I trust the writers. But next season, they are going to have to do some fancy tap dancing to get themselves out of this predicament!

My first thought, after the shock wore off a bit, was 'Boy these writers know how to put a road block between Peter and Olivia! Hart Hansen isn't even playing the same game, much less in the same league!" then came the thought, "Joshua Jackson's contract coming up for renewal?"

I can't wait for next season. The show has painted itself into a corner and they are really going to need to paint the prettiest door they can to get out of this one!

7. May 7, 2011 #7 of 102
    gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    The SECOND Walter started explaining it (in the same way I attempt to explain it to people) and Peter was confused (in the same way people I attempt to explain it to are), I had one thought.

CRAP, the TiVoCommunity thread's gonna be a tough one.

<Walter>It's called a paradox.</Walter>

Let the storyline unfold before you judge it. Will it be great? Will it suck? I dunno. Neither do you.

I don't think it's going to become a "time travel" show at all. A "race to solve the mystery of how to avoid the future events from happening" show, sure.

Meanwhile, all this bickering between Walter & Walternate is going on, but I have one question: WHERE are they? Or perhaps, WHEN... Peter brought them all to the same place, but we don't know where that is. Time to bury something.

I also can't figure out if he took himself out of it on purpose. If it was on purpose, why vanish mid-sentence?

Greg

8. May 7, 2011 #8 of 102
    Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Man. This is what I hate about Fringe being renewed so early... the season ends in a half-baked cliffhanger. Season 1 and 2 wrapped up nicely when it was unknown if they'd be renewed :).

Is Peter really gone? Is this yet another dream? What's really going on here?

And worst of all, I'd have forgotten it all when it restarts again.

I don't think the writers would cheap their way out and turn it into a time-travelling show, but I also don't see how one of the main characters can really just disappear.

Now that I think about it, my onsite customer work I've done for the past few months has meant my commute doesn't take me past the Fringe backlot stages...

9. May 7, 2011 #9 of 102
    Peter000

Peter000 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 15, 2002
    Red Wing, MN
    So they're on Liberty Island, but a combined Liberty Island of both Universes, since it's a conduit between the two. When? "Present" time.

I'm pretty sure that Peter didn't intend to wipe himself out of existence (if that's what happened). For the same reason you brought up, simply that he was talking about something else entirely when he blinked out. If he wanted to do it I'm sure it would have been more deliberate.

Anyway, I was kind of following the tweets from the Fringe producers as the show was going on, and on the question of Peter one of them had this to say:
    (some may consider this a spoiler, I don't, but I'd thought I'd be safe)
    @JWFRINGE JOEL WYMAN
    @DlsimplyMel #FringeLiveTweet Well... "Where is Peter Bishop?" IS the question." Season 4 WILL have answers.

10. May 7, 2011 #10 of 102
    JYoung

JYoung Series 3

Jan 16, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Really, I agree [Keanu] Whoa. [/Keanu]

I mean I went "Whoa" when Olivia took the headshot but the end there?

I have no idea how the writers are going to get out this one but I look forward to seeing them try in 4 months.

11. May 7, 2011 #11 of 102
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Huh. You must have missed the Season 2 finalé... ;)

12. May 7, 2011 #12 of 102
    Jeeters

Jeeters Registered Snoozer

Feb 25, 2003
    PA
    You many want to avoid J.J. Abrams' future works. Most everything he does involves time travel or alternate timelines. "Lost", now "Fringe", his Star Trek movie. Even "Felicity" played around with it in that series last several episodes.

13. May 7, 2011 #13 of 102
    steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    I'm going to have to rewatch this episode...I didn't absorb everything the first time around. :eek:

Is Peter going to come back? If his only purpose was to prevent the war between universes...which brings me to:

Now that everyone is in the same place, which universe are they in? Does the other universe still exist or did they get merged?

I hate that I have to wait 4 months to find out. :(

14. May 7, 2011 #14 of 102
    Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    This. I refuse to post another comment in this thread until I re-watch this ep...

15. May 7, 2011 #15 of 102
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I really enjoyed it despite the fact they did the weird time travel "it's a paradox it's not a paradox" plot. I really wished they had not gone with this plot line, but so far they have done it well, and I'll trust them.

Besides, just because Peter told Walter that he figured it out and they are the First People, that doesn't mean that it isn't misdirection from the writers and we'll find out something else next season.

16. May 7, 2011 #16 of 102
    BitbyBlit

BitbyBlit .

Aug 25, 2001
    The way I see it, there was an original timeline where Walter crossed over to the other universe for some reason. If Peter never existed, then perhaps he crossed over to get more advanced technology. Or maybe Peter did exist, but after falling into the lake, he died.

In either case, adult Peter never existed in the original timeline. Without him, the two worlds destroyed each other.

But the Great Machine had the power to both create and destroy, and so it created Peter (or at least altered events so that he lived). We've been wondering why the machine seemed to have been made for Peter, but I wonder if Peter was made for the machine. Through him, both Walters and Olivias were brought to the same rooms on their respective Liberty Islands so that Peter and the machine could bring them together.

Another thing I'm wondering is if the Observers are the evolution of the humans who took the machine back in time. Perhaps they aren't just observing events with arbitrary importance, but rather key events in their very own history. That would also explain why they don't like to interfere, because interfering with human lives could affect their own.

Perhaps it is the job of the Observers to ensure that events happen such that the right people end up going back in time to become their ancestors. But once that happens, they will then be able to join human society in the open because they will no longer be interfering with their own history.

17. May 7, 2011 #17 of 102
    stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I took it that the Observers created Peter and put him in the situation to save both universes. But then it's true that they don't like to interfere, so maybe not.

I thought Walter said he created the machine and sent it back in time? So he did make it for Peter and Olivia?

The Observers said they didn't remember Peter because he never really existed. So why did he disappear from their minds at that moment? I doubt if he did it. I wonder if he ever really had free will. He was just there to do the bidding of whoever sent him.

Maybe the rift in the 2 universes never had anything to do with Walter crossing over. We always wondered why there was more damage on the other side. Maybe Peter was created to give Walter the push he needed to cross over, and then give Walternate the determination to send people over here. Because they have to be able to work together to solve whatever's wrong.

18. May 7, 2011 #18 of 102
    robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA
    I think Peter is in a "new" third universe. The Paradox didn't destroy him, it just bumped him to a new alternate universe where he does exist.

If you saw the movie source code you'll understand what I'm saying.

Imagine an original time line where Walter or Peter attempted time travel, but created a paradox, creating a second time line (parallel universe). We just saw it happen again so now there's two parallel universes and one original.

I think Walter and Walter's wife made Peter the old fashioned way. No observers, doomsday machines were involved.

19. May 7, 2011 #19 of 102
    Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    I was wondering about the opening credits...not Blueworld, not Redworld...Grayworld. Was that just their way of showing the future, or is there really a third world involved?

20. May 7, 2011 #20 of 102
    vertigo235

vertigo235 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Oct 27, 2000
    Charlotte
    I think it was for future world. Similar to how they do the 80s music intro for past world.